MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Food Handling General Discussion

Notices

Food Handling General Discussion General and open discussion for food handling and safety.

Old 05-19-2006, 10:47 AM   #31
timzcardz
Babbling Farker

Great discussion.

All of my cooking is done at home so I have the convenience of preparing everything in my kitchen, right next to the sink. I don’t use gloves, but once I get going, I leave the sink running and am constantly washing my hands before I touch anything. Leaving it running means that I am not even touching the faucet before I have cleaned my hands. Oh yeah, and lots of paper towels, not the kitchen towel.

Containers that I would normally use like spices, etc., I pour into disposable cups (somtimes mixing bowls) before I get going, so I have everything in front of me, and can even I grab the cup with dirty hands, it doesn’t matter because it’s going right into the garbage anyway.

The one great thing about constantly washing before and after touching food, is that you do seem to stay a lot healthier. Staying away from the germs that kids bring home from school doesn’t hurt either.

Interestingly enough there has been a recent outbreak of Hepatitis A (I think it’s A) attributable to food contamination, and when the news station was asking local people if they were doing anything different now, a college student (yes, a college student!) responded “Yeah, like, I am washing my hands every day now.” Every day? Imagine that! You can’t make this stuff up!

So there definitely is a need for education in this area, and obviously our schools aren’t filling it!
Weber Genesis Silver x 2
Weber One Touch Gold
Weber Performer x 2
Weber Smokey Joe
Bottle of Absolut
Bottle of Beer
Everything Ripken, "Cards and Que. One tastes of cardboard, the other sweet blue." ©

Last edited by timzcardz; 05-19-2006 at 11:15 AM..
timzcardz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2006, 10:06 PM   #32
nucleargeek
Full Fledged Farker

I work in a hospital, so the rubber gloves are an easy to obtain commodity. I go through a lot of them during the wash and prep phase, and I love them dearly. All that hand washing is for the birds. I will now also start putting them around my rub bottles as well...good idea my brother.
If God didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them outta meat!
nucleargeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 11:30 PM   #33
JohnMcD348
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakaty
My hands are also large and sweat alot. So much so that I need to change gloves every hour or so because of the liquid build up. Do the Polychloroprene gloves notably help prevent sweating? If so, where can they be ordered economically?

So far I've only used the el cheapo clear gloves and the more expensive latex ones.

Thanks
Unfotunately, sweating hands in glove go hand in hand so to speak. The nice thing about these gloves is that they stretch enough that they can still be gotten on even when the hands are wet(sweaty) with alot less effort than with any other gloves. I'd look for them in a medical supply store. They Polychloroprene is just another name for Neoprene( I just googled it).

We sleep peaceful in our beds because Rough Men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm.......G. Orwell

Brinkman Smoke King Deluxe, The Famous StudeDera, Weber Smokey Joe Gold and Platinum, Brinkman Professional Grill, Brinkman ECB and 2 Weber Smoky Mountians
JohnMcD348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 11:19 AM   #34
Neil
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I too prepare everything at home and I am a fanatick about washing my hands. I only use the 600* resistant rubber gloves for removing butts and briskets from the 'dera.

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

Old Country Over/Under, Weber: 18.5" WSM, 22.5" WSM, Weber Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), Two 22.5" Kettles, & a Smokey Joe; Old Country 36" griddle, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove and a UDS.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 11:28 AM   #35
bbqjoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
I too prepare everything at home and I am a fanatick about washing my hands. I only use the 600* resistant rubber gloves for removing butts and briskets from the 'dera.
Are you talking about these things here?
My Wife bought these a couple of weeks ago. I can't stand them!
Hard to hold onto anything with them. And besides, they don't fit anywhere in the kitchen. They keep getting moved, and the next thing you know they are in my way again!

bbqjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 02:34 PM   #36
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Interesting read and tidbits! I wear gloves when catering and I need to do a better job handling my rubs, I use the put it in a seperate container and discard the remaining rub technique. Therefore, I am going to try and cover my rubs as well. For removing hot meat from my smoker, I use a rivetless peel (apparatus used to remove pizzas from hot oven).

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 08:49 PM   #37
beam boys bbq
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_in_KC
I just prefer to wear gloves when handling raw meat because I don't wanna miss getting something completely washed off then end up licking a finger or whatever. I especially use gloves when handling chicken and pork. I wasn't aware that pork was not such a big problem now. That's good to know. Maybe it's just the stygma attached to it but pork and chicken scare me. Beef, I'm OK with. Weird, huh?

I am with jeff here

harbor fright in columbia mo is where i get my glove there the thin latex
XL for 3.00 an box
or they have big blue gloves they are 7.00 an box and are twice the thickness of the Nitriles

when the rubs go on it is faster to clean the hands with gloves on
we like the convence of the glove

york
beam boys bbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 10:02 AM   #38
Norcoredneck
somebody shut me the fark up.

I wear gloves when prepping. I got a pair of silicone mits. Don't like them either. I use Bear Claws to move meat off smoker.

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 02:42 PM   #39
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

We use gloves as soon as we arrive at at comp. We like surgical gloves. They may be a couple of bucks more but we feel safer. Everyone thinks that we use the gloves for their safety. They never realize we are using the gloves for our own safety. The gloves are used whenever handling any raw meat. I know people will say not to worry about beef but we change gloves when working with each comp meat. I don't want the pork or poultry contaminating my brisket. It may sound whacky and more expensive but we are comfortable doing it this way.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 05:39 PM   #40
Kung Fu BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

i think it makes things faster too. None of that washing stuff. Gloves on, gloves off, anti-septic wipes, neo-bio-dry, talcum powder for freshness and bam I'm done.

seriously though, I go through about 20 pairs a contest. I've gotten to the point where I wear thrm during my normal job (hvac) to keep contaniments off my fingers and so I can have clean hands at the end of the day.

Brinkman Cimmaron
Weber
BBQ Grillware
Kung Fu BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 12:19 PM   #41
DeezQ
Knows what a fatty is.

I really like the point of "Guests" seeing you prepare done meat with gloves. If it is someone you know and they eat your grub all the time, they probably know how clean you are and it doesn't matter. But when you have new folks that may not know your process and see you ripping into a chunk of meat with out gloves, it may turn them off a bit. Never though of putting the the glove on the rub. I will use that.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Backwoods Extended Party, [/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype]UDS, [/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype]Weber Kettle 22.5 (x 2), [/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype]Gasser, Orion Cooker, [/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype]24x48 Custom Griller, [/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype]Turkey Fryer x 2, [/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype]Small BGE, ECB, Char Broil Double Chef[/FONT]
DeezQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 02:01 PM   #42
VGuilford
is Blowin Smoke!

Do you use rubber gloves? I use them everytime I handle meat.

When do you use them? I use them everytime when I rub meat.
When do you change them? Everytime I rub some different meat.
What are your thoughts in general on rubber gloves? Its good to have on your protection when handling your meat.
www.moocowbbq.com
KCBS CBJ
Texas Smoker
Oklahoma Joe Original
Vermont Castings Gasser
Turkey fryer
Little Smokey Joe
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
MoFo Chapter
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
VGuilford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 10:57 PM   #43
Q Haven
is one Smokin' Farker

I started using gloves when I began competing, and now I use them all the time, even at home. I use Akers food service synthetic, powder free gloves, six bucks at the local restaurant supply. I even keep a separate box in my home kitchen. Pretty much all the same reasons as posted by others, more sanitary, easy clean up. Keeps hands from getting all smelly too.

Q Haven BBQ, Orange, CT
qhaven.com
facebook.com/qhavenbbq

Backwoods Competitor, Backwoods Party G2, Backwoods Party
Q Haven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 05:19 AM   #44
Napper
On the road to being a farker

I use the nitrile type gloves for all food prep. Keeps the rub from irritating the skin. I use the purple ones!

I also use a combination of two gloves when turning the meat on the smoker. I put on a pair of cotton gloves and then put on a pair of #10 "canners" gloves. I get them from our safety supply store at work. Canners gloves are a very very thick latex glove used in the commercial food prep industry. With the cotton gloves on under them you can turn 30 butts and never get burned.
Slip them off and use when you need to turn again.
55 gal. drum smokers galore! (All custom built)
Napper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 09:32 AM   #45
jt
Babbling Farker

Thread revival got me until I reached KC's post. Damnit I miss him.

I use gloves for everything prepping, cooking, carving, etc. A lot easier than washing your hands 400 times. Looks good to the guests as well. They think you're just doing it for their safety.

Spicewine, 2 Dutch Ovens, Weber OTP, 18 " Weber Kettle, White Mountain Ice Cream Freezer, Whirly Pop, Cast Iron Hot Dog cooker, and a 15 year old. Moink.

RIP - my NB Bandera

"Sweet Blue to all" - E

jt is offline   Reply With Quote