MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-13-2017, 09:19 PM   #16
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinar View Post
I have never heard any HOA says you cant BBQ in your own yard.
HOAs scare the crap out of me. Had a friend that had to move because his neighbor got upset with his family being loud in their pool after a certain time at night. I think they set a time he couldn't use his pool or something to that effect. He also got turned in all the time for leaving his boat on his property too long. He only had a gasser so that was never an issue.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The 2019 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Planning Post! (Link)
pjtexas1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2017, 10:46 PM   #17
Lomey
Full Fledged Farker

How you handle HOAs is get you and some like minded people to get elected to the board and change the stupid rules. My HOA tried to outlaw sheds and I really needed one due to only a one car garage that my wife used for her car so no place to put my tools and smoker in the winter. My friend and I ran for President and Vice President and won. Now no nitpicking neighbors and I have a nice new 12x12 shed!
Lomey is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-14-2017, 12:01 AM   #18
JimmyR1Rider
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomey View Post
How you handle HOAs is get you and some like minded people to get elected to the board and change the stupid rules. My HOA tried to outlaw sheds and I really needed one due to only a one car garage that my wife used for her car so no place to put my tools and smoker in the winter. My friend and I ran for President and Vice President and won. Now no nitpicking neighbors and I have a nice new 12x12 shed!
1 out of God knows how many can work out like your situation. The rest, not so much. I have enough friends retired also from my job that moved into hoa controlled communities and regret it.

I wasn't taking that chance of a crotchety old 85 year old telling me what I can't do at my house. I'll never have to worry about it. I just put up a shed last year myself.....It's 35X45 by 22 at the peak. Went to the town, got my permit and never looked back. And I can put my smoker anywhere i want with never a word except from my wife being spoken about it.

Old 12-14-2017, 07:46 AM   #19
Sid Post
is one Smokin' Farker

The problem with HOA's is that they change over time.

5 or 10 years later, some people move out, some new people move in, and things are different.

I lived in a wonderful place with an HOA. Lots of young professionals, small families, and some snowbirds. The young professionals moved on with job relocations, the small families got priced out by HOA dues and taxes and, the geriatric crowd moved in. While I was at work, 'they' walked around with a yardstick and cell phone camera photographing everything thing they did not like.

Oh my! They found a weed in my yard I missed after dark when I got home mid-week that was 14" tall (one by some bushes I didn't see in the dark as I can't have light pollution destroying the night sky)!

No cars in the driveway. Oh my again! How dare my neighbor wash his car in his own driveway!

Never mind the 2-ton service truck caked in mud parked in the driveway about 50 yards from me each night, your Lexus parked in the driveway midday is an eyesore. Never mind the mud caked driveway a few doors down. Now add the renter with open pipe Harleys, motocross bikes and, other various issues. Sure, in theory, the owner of the rent house had to pay the fines but, the 'blue haired crew' didn't report them as noting would 'happen'.

The one that really got to me was the animal lovers that thought a pot belly pig rescue by a 'strange cat lady' animal hoarder was wonderful even though her front yard smelled like a classic pig yard. The rooting destroyed the yard and the standing putrid water with pig feces was a bit much for me in a residential HOA community. If I lived next door in a quarter million dollar house, I would have been upset that the HOA thought it was wonderful to house those rescue pigs at a residential house a few doors down from me.

I left and swore never to return to an HOA. Yes, it can keep cars on blocks off the front yard with trees growing out of the engine compartment but, they can drive you nuts with constant harassment like gnats buzzing your head while they ignore the rotting corpse in the yard a few doors down.

It's almost like telling this middle-aged bachelor I need mamogram and prenatal health care coverage or I'm going to be fined when I file my taxes! Really? Are you serious?
Sid Post is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2017, 11:48 AM   #20
Hinds15
On the road to being a farker

And here I was thinking apartment/condo dewellers got all of the heart burn lol.
Hinds15 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2017, 12:48 PM   #21
Steve S
Take a breath!

I used to live in a neighborhood with an HOA. The HOA wasnt the problem, it was the busybodies with nothing better to do with their time than look for "violations" so they could turn in their neighbors. I now live outside the city limits with some great neighbors.

Thanks from: --->