Outdoor Kitchen Must Haves?

jasonjax

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I'm contemplating having an outdoor kitchen installed.

I have limited space, but enough for a decent setup I believe.

For those who have experienced outdoor kitchens what are some "must haves" in your opinion? I know this is a personal thing, but hoping to get some ideas from fellow brethren.

Thanks!

I would make sure you have power so that you could plug in an electric fryer for french fries, fish, etc. Great to be able to do that outdoors.

I will be doing one next year at the new house (I am having all the connections built into the house). I will be putting in a sink and a small built in burner.

IMnotalwaysHO, if you have a multipurpose cooker for grilling and slower cooking/smoking (a santa Maria style grill or a Good one kitchen model for example), then you can have a spot for a griddle that handles the frying, that will save you room if you wanted to have the most use. A friend who I cant get pictures of (60miles away) has his outdoor kitchen filled completely and still would put more. So make sure you know for sure, what you dont need very much, in this area.

I'm contemplating having an outdoor kitchen installed.

I have limited space, but enough for a decent setup I believe.

For those who have experienced outdoor kitchens what are some "must haves" in your opinion? I know this is a personal thing, but hoping to get some ideas from fellow brethren.

Thanks!

I am currently building one using materials from these guys. You can probably get some good ideas from them.

https://www.bbqcoach.com/

A good outdoor refrigerator. In my last house I spent $$$$$ on my built in grill, separate infrared sear station, stainless storage doors, etc. and then I decided to get cheap on the refrigerator with my reasoning being "It's covered and in the shade". My Home Depot Special lasted almost a year before dying, and it was never up to the 110 degree weather we get around here in the summer. I found a clearance outlet for a high-end appliance store in town and eventually came across a U-Line full stainless outdoor fridge that had a dent on the side which would be hidden in my installation.

The great thing was besides keeping my water and beer cold in the summer, I could stage meat inside for parties or cooks because it would fit a half-size sheet pan inside. I used that fridge a lot more than I thought I would, and would not skimp on that again. Running water is also really nice to have. Also what was mentioned above for electricity. Great for deep frying outside!

Adequate light and positioned so that in the dark you can actually see into your cooking device/smoker. Water and a sink is nice but not critical. Counter space is critical - you don't want to have to hold and work with hot items in your hands. The counter top material should be heat tolerant. It is very nice for the kitchen to be covered so that rain won't ruin the fun. That doesn't have to be a roof - a place for a patio umbrella to be supported works just fine.

For me, an outdoor kitchen would need to free me from going back and forth to my real kitchen so storage/refrigeration etc., are as important as the cookers. It would also be mostly about short duration cooks where I might be with others vs long smokes. A nice gasser, possibly a Santa Maria etc., would be the focus on the cooker side of things (griddle and a pizza oven wouldn't hurt either)

I've thought of doing it a few times but don't really have the right space to be as independent as I'd like where I'd want it to be near where everyone tends to hang out.

Storage, electricity, running water, refrigerator, santa maria grill, double burner. Now where i am stuck is either a kamado style charcoal grill or a built in gas grill. I have thought about this many times. Pizza oven, griddle, deep fryer are all up to you depending on your space, budget and if you use them or not. Below is a picture of a design that i really liked.

Love all of the ideas. Keep em coming! Thanks for all the suggestions.

Small Outdoor Speakers. The mid upper level kind. Those that give great separation sound at lower volumes.

An antique piece. Like 200 year old. Backsplash, worked into counter- something interesting with a story-lore or fable.

I’ve a friend when he redid his kitchen he obtained a backsplash from a Scottish castle. Great conversations starter. Another friend has an antique creole cast iron boil pot.

It can and should be subtle. But I’ve seen a simple antique carry an evening.

Love the above ideas
Gas grill
Charcoal grill ie my Large BGE
Fridge
Running water
speakers
A cover over it for when it rains
Ceiling fans for when hot and humid
Trash containers
fire extinguisher
room for chairs

Small refridge and sink with hot water.....and of course.....a large screen tv and music system.!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd think it really all depends on the size of the space available and what you like to do. I'd definitely want a charcoal/wood and maybe a gasser grill, flat top griddle, pizza oven of some sort (gas/wood/coal), gas deep fryer, sink, fridge, plenty of prep space, A/V system, a fire pit close by.

Back