"Stunt Smoker" in front of restaurant

Tennessee Jed

Reaction score
We have a catering business that will eventually evolve into a restaurant. Checked on a building for lease and the landlord insisted that we put a smoker out by the road so everyone can smell/see that we're cooking bbq. Obviously I'm NOT going to cook on a roadside pit when I have OHP CTOs, but I see the "prop" cookers boiling smoke in front of bbq restaurants all the time. My question is how do they keep them smoking all day without feeding logs in every hour? Or is that exactly what they do... feed them every hour?

We have a joint down the road that has a prop smoker. It goes all day. I doubt he wastes time and wood, but I don' t know for sure. If I can get there, I'll ask. I think the easiest solution would be an a-mazin pellet maze.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtsara:
You rent it and the landlord tells you what to do?

This was my first thought. The aroma from your real smoker should be sufficient.

Uhh... I cook with CTO's that are on the inside under a hood vent. All the smoke and aroma exhaust out through the roof. Yes, people will "smell what the rock is cooking"... but there are 3 other restaurants within 100 yards of me in either direction also pumping out "aroma". Landlord wanted to make sure traffic knew where the bbq was being cooked/served.

And beyond that, what difference does it make what the landlord asks me to do? Ultimately that's between me and him. Thank you very little for offering up your pointless 2 cents and NOT answering my question.

I wonder if it's possible to make the 'prop' smoker vent out a steam. Then your only wasting a bit of water instead of wood. And the Aroma still comes from your roof vent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtsara:
You rent it and the landlord tells you what to do?

Uhh... I cook with CTO's that are on the inside under a hood vent. All the smoke and aroma exhaust out through the roof. Yes, people will "smell what the rock is cooking"... but there are 3 other restaurants within 100 yards of me in either direction also pumping out "aroma". Landlord wanted to make sure traffic knew where the bbq was being cooked/served.

And beyond that, what difference does it make what the landlord asks me to do? Ultimately that's between me and him. Thank you very little for offering up your pointless 2 cents and NOT answering my question.

So what is next the landlord tells you what you can and cant cook? I get that you were wanting a different answer but just because you dont like the answer maybe just take it with a grain of salt.

Let me use an example, we have in our area a very big farming show every year.Brings in 20 plus thousand a weekend for a town of 500. Last year we were the major vendor. The chamber of commerce was going to come help us to keep up with demand. The chamber president, who is also the president of the bank, told me he wants us to cook a bunch ahead of time, freeze limit our amounts on sandwiches etc. Actually he told my wife I wasnt there, she called me I showed up and he tried that stuff with me. I told him "No" "absolutely not" "my business my standards". So we did things my way...This year he personally called me to help plan out the vendors and vendor row because as he said to me "you know your business"

Now I will say though that if it was just advise about putting a smoker out, it actually is purty good advise. When we vend events I always put out a small pellet grill with a tube smoker in it just so the smells attract people. In my opinion very cheap advertisement.

But keep in mind it is YOUR business, listen to advise and decide what you like and dont, but it is still YOUR business and YOUR reputation on line. I would just be curious what the line in the sand is for this landlord by what I am reading.

First, I'll answer your question. The places that use a prop smoker around here use a pile of charcoal and a very large log to smoke. They put a new log on about halfway through the shift.

Second, don't be so danged pissy. Everybody knows it's your business, but folks have seen more than once what a controlling landlord can do. They were just looking out for you. Trying to help isn't reason to "thank someone very little".

Now onto my opinion of the prop smoker. So long as you're getting a good smell from it and it's not hurting your pockets I say go for it. I personally am instantly wary of a place with a faux smoker. The joint closest to me is one of the worst I've ever had. Buuuuuuutttt.....we are all mostly bbq snobs here on the brethren and we do NOT represent your money makers. Those folks will love the smoker up front especially if it's in a novelty shape such as a gun or pig or maybe a dragon.

Good luck on the business. Hope you have fun as well as make some cash.

Charcoal and wood from what I've seen. Pretty much what lantern said ^^^

Incidentally, I will stop at a smoker, if I smell wood and not meat, I get back in my car. I hate prop smokers and can smell them the minute I get out of my car. However, they work great, Folks see them and instantly assume they are getting BBQ.

UDS full load of charcoal a few wood chunks throw a few onions in let it go.

Back