• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Tips on HOT chili ????

I would personally just put a bunch of habeneros in it. NOt the hottest at all, but you're not trying to burn taste buds off.

And if you are, get some Carolina Reaper or Ghost Pepper.

Or just use gasoline or turpentine, and tell people it's pepper spice. They just might believe you.

Darn! Too bad there is not more time. I have a bumper crop of Caribbean Hot Red, Bhut Jolokia Ghost, Trinidad Scorpion, and Carolina Reaper peppers.

In the metro Detroit area? Probably Penzey's out by Bloomfield. Should have everything you need.

https://www.penzeys.com/

I don't like to be the type of guy who brings Politics into a non-political thread.

BUT if you are the type of guy who is interested in politics, you should read up on Bill Penzey's politics.

It got so bad in the leadup to the 2016 election, with email blasts that I unsubscribed from them all and stopped shopping there. I'm talked mutliple times per week getting some ranting email. Dude, I just wanted to buy some Garlic Powder

I quit buying from Penzeys years ago. Not political. I just don't like overpaying for mediocre quality products.

UPDATE

THANK YOU to everyone for all of the ideas. I was able to include some in this batch but I'm VERY excited to get some new products and work to make my next cook even better.

Round 1 (6 quarts) was made last night. Round 2 (same) is finishing up now and should be done early afternoon (EST.) Then it's time to start craving the "heat roller coaster" that I hope to achieve with the HOT version. Hope to add pictures tonight.

QUESTIONS / HELP

When you float the peppers do you pierce and/or cut them to let the chill in and the cap out?

If you dice peppers, do you sauté them prior to adding to just add diced?

THANK YOU.

When floating, I just make a cut about 3/4 of the way and let it do its thing.

Lastly, MOD NOTE: Let's not make this a political thread. Thanks.

Bob

As for saute/dice, you can if you like, but they will soften nicely after the slow simmer. Some really nice carmelized diced onions, even some roasted peppers also add nice notes of flavor as does roasted garlic. Things like coffee and chocolate add nice tones as well.

Good luck. Can't wait to see some pics and hear the details.

Last edited:
I'm curious as to how this turned out, primarily the 'winner' of hottest chili.

The contest was hottest chili, not hottest but still delicious chili, or hottest chili that you could still finish the bowl.

To win hottest chili, take that concentrated ghost pepper oil, and pour the entire bottle in. There, hottest chili, you win.

"Eeeew! That would taste horrible!" Good flavor wasn't a parameter. Hottest, that's it. The *other* contest, that's where you enter your delicious batch.

Sorry for the LONG delay in updating how all went at the chili cook-off. THANK YOU to everyone for your tips. I did use some and others I know will come in helpful for my next one.

Screen Shot 2021-12-28 at 1.50.13 PM.jpg

A good time was had by all. The chili was HOT as HELL. And, yes...I will update more details, ingredients etc.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-28 at 1.51.00 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-12-28 at 1.51.00 PM.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 63
Back