Help making a decision. Cookshack sm150 or Yoder 640

Mat

Knows what a fatty is.
So I was lucky enough to get a Cookshack that was broken for extremely cheap. When I got her home she was manufactured in 2003 and everything worked fine except the oven temp always read 100 degrees regardless.

Quick phone call to Cookshack and the oven temp probe was at fault. So $230 later and about 90 minutes I repaired her. The unit itself was used at a restaurant and wasn’t cleaned once from the looks of it. Four or five cans of oven cleaner, a bottle of simple green, and a full day she cleaned up near perfect.

The reason I’m telling this story was I picked it up to flip it. Sell my green egg and use the cash to get a Yoder 640. I cooked once on the Cookshack which was a mistake. It’s the older control panel but I love how simple it is.

So now I’m second guessing myself. I really wanted a pellet to compliment my Myron Mixon H2O for smaller cooks that I can set and forget. The Cookshack did just that but I have my apprehensions on keeping a 15 year old unit.

Should I sell the Cookshack and stick to the plan? Or is keeping the Cookshack a better idea.

Both great cookers! 2 zone setup definitely goes to the CS. Pros/Cons to both... really depends on you and your needs :)

So of the pellet cookers I have owned:

Green Mountain Daniel Boone
Cookshack FEC-100
Green Mountain Davey Crocket
Rec Tec Bullseye
RecTec BFG

The Cookshack is by far the best of the lot. All of the cook fine, but if I didn't want to horizontal space and mobility of the BFG I'd go back to the Cookshack in a heartbeat.

ThinG is the Cookshack I have isn’t a pellet. It’s weird cooking with wood chunks.

Yeah I know. But Coolshack in general makes some great stuff. I imagine the electrics with wood chunks makes some good BBQ too.

Cookshacks will last forever. I used to have the Cookshack SM020, small residential electric before I got the FEC100. The electrics put out some great que. You won't get a smoke ring though, but that never bothered me. Try a few cooks on it to see if you like the food that comes out of it.

Get what you want. That’s what I always do. I’ve had all kinds of pits and my favorite is always the one I currently have - right now it’s insulated cabinets. You’re gonna be happy with either so get what you want and don’t look back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Get what you want. That’s what I always do. I’ve had all kinds of pits and my favorite is always the one I currently have - right now it’s insulated cabinets. You’re gonna be happy with either so get what you want and don’t look back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’m gonna show my wife this lol

One thing I didn’t ask is what’s a fair asking price for the Cookshack? Manufactured in 2003. Has obvious signs of wear but all cosmetic.

Back