First Cook on the BGE...

rdsbucks

Reaction score
and it went well. I did baby-backs. One set was a little dry I think because I had them on too long tightening up the sauce on the 3-2-1 method. I am pleased with the smoke profile.

Question:
My egg did not have a rEGGulator cap so I bought one. Does it just sit there without being attached? And what is the purpose of the rubber piece embedded in the metal extension from the base of the cap? Thanks!

You mean my 20 year old vent cap is obsolete?? Rats.

fXGGfSc.jpg

In all seriousness I think it has a better seal against rain or melting snow.

First, congratulations EggHead!
Second, you might consider trying the "Turbo Rib Method" using your BGE.
Third, Yep it just sits there so you can easily take it completely off if desired. I have an old school vent cap as above but it appears the rubber piece is where the Rain Cap attaches to the rEGGulator cap.
Fourth, Most importantly always remember to burp your BGE before opening to avoid singed eyebrows.

Enjoy your BGE...:thumb:

The 3-2-1 (or a 4-1-1) method is for a full slab of spare ribs. If you cut them down to St Louis style something like a 3-1-1 works. Baby Back Loin ribs are an odd duck because now you can find them with more loin meat than usual. What used to be the easiest ribs to cook are often harder to cook because the loin meat can dry out because it's so lean.

One of the best Baby Back rib cooks I know is my friend Mike, and he cooked on BGE's.... and did not wrap but had cook times of 4 to 5 hours. Here is his method.

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2002/06/baby-back-rib-class.html

Back