Cheesecake in the Egg

R2Egg2Q

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Not sure what possessed me to call for a baking throwdown as I'm not really a baker but I figured I'd better enter something.

I mixed up the graham cracker crumbles, melted butter, and sugar to form up the crusts and pre-baked two in the XL Egg running at 350:
hcYTPPv.jpg

4Ccm6wG.jpg

Then got to work on the cream cheese filling and making a mess in the kitchen:
NUehgMG.jpg

Filled the spring form pans and put them into the Egg to bake:
IoktM7S.jpg

After baking for nearly an hour I topped them with a sour cream mix:
8Jvez2G.jpg

Let them cool in the refrigerator overnight and freed them from the pans this morning:
EaLHxMU.jpg

Topped one with blueberries:
ZlC7kNC.jpg

And cut a slice:
ZXbZ5SH.jpg

This is only the 2nd time I've baked cheesecake and I learned a couple of things:

1. Don't spread the crust so high up the sides of the forms​

2. Leave baking cheesecake to my wife! This was too much work and it I prefer to eat it more than bake it.​

But does it taste like BBQ?

:)

I'm actually mostly serious... I mean, I use my egg almost exclusively for BBQ and everything that comes out of it has a pretty distinctive flavor.

That's excellent when it is steak. It's a bit iffy if it's cheesecake.

I worked at Legal Sea Foods a million years ago and we had a bunch of extra cheesecake one night. Thought it would be a great idea to deep fry it. And it was!

Right up until that third bite or so it started to taste just a bit fishy from the fry oil.

Looks good to me!

Did you find that the crust had a lot of smoke? We did a cheesecake in one of my drums and the crust was very smokey.

But does it taste like BBQ?

:)

I'm actually mostly serious... I mean, I use my egg almost exclusively for BBQ and everything that comes out of it has a pretty distinctive flavor.

That's excellent when it is steak. It's a bit iffy if it's cheesecake.

I worked at Legal Sea Foods a million years ago and we had a bunch of extra cheesecake one night. Thought it would be a great idea to deep fry it. And it was!

Right up until that third bite or so it started to taste just a bit fishy from the fry oil.

Three of us just ate a slice and didn’t notice any off taste. My last cook on this Egg was grilling some sausage. We served cheesecake bites at an Eggfest years ago and don’t recall anyone saying it tasted like bacon. I would say this didn’t taste any different than cheesecake out of the oven.

Looks good to me!

Did you find that the crust had a lot of smoke? We did a cheesecake in one of my drums and the crust was very smokey.

Thanks Ron. We didn’t get even a hint of smoke from the crust. I used the most smoke neutral lump I have (Rockwood) and no smoke wood.

Three of us just ate a slice and didn’t notice any off taste. My last cook on this Egg was grilling some sausage. We served cheesecake bites at an Eggfest years ago and don’t recall anyone saying it tasted like bacon. I would say this didn’t taste any different than cheesecake out of the oven.

That's really cool, and it looks delicious.

Just as a kind of interesting aside - I used Rockwood almost exclusively for the first couple of years and did a lot of pork shoulder. Apple wood mostly, and I still have a fairly distinct smell when I open the cooker and things coming off definitely have a smoky flavor.

A little smoking wood can make a difference I guess.

Thanks for sharing your cook!

I could eat a whole one of those right about now - I have a serious weakness for cheescake. Looks great, John!

Thanks Ron. We didn’t get even a hint of smoke from the crust. I used the most smoke neutral lump I have (Rockwood) and no smoke wood.

Thanks... I used Timber lump and no wood, either, and waited about an hour after lighting the drum. It seemed to be only in the crust. Weird...

Thanks... I used Timber lump and no wood, either, and waited about an hour after lighting the drum. It seemed to be only in the crust. Weird...

I wonder if it was just an anomaly. My wife has done them in our egg, WSM and previous backwoods a bunch with no smoke flavor noticeable. But.....my drums do have a deeper smoke flavor sometimes because of the more direct cooking. So I wonder if the drums are possibly different.

Back