MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-08-2008, 03:02 PM   #1876
RazBarlow
Knows what a fatty is.

Does the domed lids fit better on a barrel that was a closed barrel to begin with or an open headed one ?
Thanks,
Raz
RazBarlow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2008, 04:20 PM   #1877
Norcoredneck
somebody shut me the fark up.

Closed head. Seems it is a regional thing. Lots of people in the east say a Weber fits right on. Never seen one fit without mods out west.

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2008, 06:30 PM   #1878
SDJ
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcoredneck View Post
I usually only get 5-6 coals going, 2 vents open when temp climbs i cap one and use valve to throttle. Most cooks with large load I have 1 cap off and maybe 1/4 valve open. Air leaks are bad, removing the lid to look is worse. Close it up, open a beer and adjust only 1/2 hour. After temp settles in leave alone. Temp might drop after 4-6 hours. if it does shake/kick drum to knock ash loose and wait before adjustments.
Thanks for ther advice Norcoredneck, Im going to smoke some "highway" chicken this afternoon, I will fit a valve like the one you have on yours today and see how that goes.
PS, the temp did drop after 6 hours to 180F.

Quote:
SDJ,

My guess is that your magnets are leaking. You should be able to shut everything down and have the fire go out.

Try closing off one thing at a time until you can make your fire go out.

Stuff the lower intake holes full of aluminum foil instead of the magnets.

My lid does not seal on the rim, and I can kill the fire in mine easy.

If you think it's the lid, roll up some foil and put it around the edge of the lid and jam the lid on.

Find your air leaks and you will be in control again.

Jerry
Thankyou for this advice Jerry, Im going to do some testing today and will find out whats leaking.
I did manage to do my first cook, not much just some MOINK balls.

SDJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2008, 07:02 PM   #1879
armor
is one Smokin' Farker

Man I can't believe the length of this thread! When I built my UDS it had about a thousand posts and I thought I was going to never get through it looking for ideas and advice.
armor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2008, 08:31 PM   #1880
bacardi2001
Full Fledged Farker

ok i added a few more pictures of the finished uds seasoning process sprayed inside with pam and a chimeney full of charcoal and a bag of cherry pellets ( never used pellets before but they sure smoke alot ). now with the heat shield i didnt get very far past 200 degrees although i dont have much patience. so i took the shield out and the damn thing blew past 400 degrees in a hurry all i need to do now is figure out how to control the temp but i think it will work fine with out the shield any suggestions on temp control?

http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j172/bacardi2001/
bacardi2001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2008, 08:45 PM   #1881
jerrykr
Knows what a fatty is.

BC2001, my suggestion,,,, control the airflow and you will have heat control.

As I just suggested, you should be able to:
1. open things up and get way too much heat, and you should also be able to
2. shut off all airflow and put the fire out. If you can't put the fire out, you need to find out where the air leaks are. Look at intake first.

If you can do those 2 things, you can adjust to any temp that you want.

Do some experimenting with a burn without cooking. You need to find out how to create and control the swings both ways. One burn, a few beers, and you will figure it out.

Jerry
www.uglydrumsmoker.blogspot.com
jerrykr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2008, 09:15 PM   #1882
bacardi2001
Full Fledged Farker

ok thanks i think the possible leaks are in the lid where the hinges were there are now holes. so i should get those covered some how ( any suggestions no welding ) and i put a rope gasket inside the ring to get a better fit i think it will work first real cook will be tuesday maybe tomorrow experiment a little.

Old 11-08-2008, 09:32 PM   #1883
jerrykr
Knows what a fatty is.

I just put a short bolt and nut thru the holes. Sealed them up very well.

I have been wrong many, many times, but I think your problem will be with controling draft. My lid does not seal at all, and I have no problems.

Looking at your pictures with the "stack" it looks to me like you will be getting an excellent draw up thru that pipe. If I am right, you need to be able to control the bottom end on the intake side.

Jerry
www.uglydrumsmoker.blogspot.com
jerrykr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2008, 09:37 PM   #1884
Norcoredneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDJ View Post
I took the fire basket out and used a blow torch in 3 places for about 1 minute each then left it for 10 minutes, it didnt feel like it was throwing out that much heat but when I put the fire basket in the UDS and put the thermometer in it stayed on 270F for some time.

I noticed that every time I take the lid off the temp spikes dramtically and this is with all venys closed, perhaps the slightly smaller Aussie drums (44 gallon) has something to do with it
Quote:
I usually only get 5-6 coals going, 2 vents open when temp climbs i cap one and use valve to throttle. Most cooks with large load I have 1 cap off and maybe 1/4 valve open. Air leaks are bad, removing the lid to look is worse. Close it up, open a beer and adjust only 1/2 hour. After temp settles in leave alone. Temp might drop after 4-6 hours. if it does shake/kick drum to knock ash loose and wait before adjustments.
Here is a pic of what I started tonight

Ok let's see your Butt!

Old 11-08-2008, 09:39 PM   #1885
bacardi2001
Full Fledged Farker

yeah the smoke was humming out of the smoke stack real good so i think it will be good. yeah i noticed that my lid really dosent have to be sealed either but it's just something that bugs me if its not tight. my next one is going to be like yours

http://www.uglydrumsmoker.blogspot.com/

Old 11-08-2008, 10:27 PM   #1886
bacardi2001
Full Fledged Farker

hey another question ok im going to put a chimney full of unlit charcoal in the charcoal basket and then throw about 6 lit coals on top of those now do you wait for it to get up to temp ( 225 -250 ) then put meat on or do you put the meat on right away? thanks

Old 11-08-2008, 10:34 PM   #1887
Norcoredneck

I load mine up with 10 lbs or so, use weed burner to light it like pic. Close lid. I have 1 cap off and 1/2 valve. When it hits 220 I put cap on and open valve. I throttle back if needed. I cook at 200-210 on gauge which is about 230 center grate.

Ok let's see your Butt!

Old 11-09-2008, 01:03 PM   #1888
SDJ
Got Wood.

Quote:
I load mine up with 10 lbs or so, use weed burner to light it like pic. Close lid. I have 1 cap off and 1/2 valve. When it hits 220 I put cap on and open valve. I throttle back if needed. I cook at 200-210 on gauge which is about 230 center grate.
Thanks for your helpful advice Nocoredneck, I lit my fire the way you suggested and had no problems. I cooked 2 x highway chickens last night and temp was steady at 220F with 2 vents closed and the third one open 1/4, later I opened up the vent to 1/2 and the temp climbed to 245F and stayed there.
Might make a BBQ cook out of me yet
SDJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2008, 12:50 PM   #1889
bacardi2001
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
when do you add wood or do you just spread it through out the charcoal?

Old 11-10-2008, 02:35 PM   #1890
Dovid
On the road to being a farker

Hi all. Long time no post. For my purposes I just stand a stick (1/4 cut around 1 foot long) up in amongst the charcoal. It only burns where the coals are hot. I started this since I didn't want to chunk up my wood. I just use it the way I buy it now.

Dovid
Chicago
Dovid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker