The 10 Best Pellet Smokers and Grills You Can Buy in 2021?

Bob C Cue

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Just saw this article that was published yesterday: https://www.gearpatrol.com/home/a739916/best-pellet-smoker-grill/
Wide range of grills to be sure!
bbHiKBdh.png

Any "10 best pellet grills" article that doesn't mention Cookshack, Outlaw (my pick), Pitts & Spitts, or Yoder at the top end or Louisiana at the lower end is like a "10 best sports cars" article that doesn't mention Ferrari, Corvette, Aston Martin, Lamborghini . . . or Camaro, Mustang . . .

I feel like it's tough to really know for a few reasons.

#1 - So many good ones these days
#2 - 99% of us will only buy one and keep it for years. How many people keep multiple pellet poopers in their arsenal?

So we end up with people buying various pellet smokers for various reasons, and in threads we just say "I like my XYZ model".

It's not like, for example, oh, take pocket knives. You want to know best pocket knife in a price range? There are plenty of people with collections, and they own/live with every top shelf knife in a given price range, and they can explain the differences and why one might be better than others.

Not so with pellet smokers, nobody is collecting the darn things

Just my opinion, I'm not saying their top 10 list is bad, just that for this kind of product, it seems tough to get opinions from people who have lived with multiple units and have a decent amount of experience with those multiple units.

I certainly don't!

I'd also, for what it's worth, say

#1 - The SmokeFire is the ONLY unit I've seen with lots and lots of poor reviews

#2 - Nobody on this forum seems to think Traeger makes the best pellet grills (I used one many many times at a friend's house, years ago, and it was okay)

Traeger…Best grill? Maybe, I’ll let you make your argument. Produces best tasting food? Not a chance.

Does this count as real wood if I take the diffuser out?

Last edited:
I wonder if the author Will Price ever second guessed his decision to declare anything the absolute best.

How dare anyone consider anything other than an MAK....relax, just kidding.

If Traeger is on the list...taste of smoke flavor wasn't considered. At least on the Timberline 1300! Price is very relative to this question and very subjective.

Oh the top 10 list...just like something else everyone has. Not to mention advertisements

Opinions are like A-holes...…………….. Everyone has one.

I have used three brands and seen a few others - They all get the job done.

IMHO bbq is smoked over real wood.

I agree! Thats why I use 100% Hickory pellets in my recteq. :bow:

as fas as the 10 best pellet smokers, I agree its flawed when you leave out what we all know are some of the best cooker brands...

Checked out a Pit Boss pro series last weekend it it seemed really well-built, esp for the price point.

I don't see how there's really much of a difference between all of the pellet smokers with similar gauge steel, similar build quality, and smoke pots placed in the center. I just can't see how one is that much better than the other. Now Yoder on the other hand, with airflow like an offset- that's a whole different thing, and I don't understand why more manufacturers aren't building them this way. Seems like the center burn pots just crete a massive hot spot right in the middle of your food. Would love to hear thoughts on this!

PatAttack:
Maybe you should read my post again, and no, I’m not a Traeger fan but it cooks well if you’re looking for an easy bake oven.

IMHO bbq is smoked over real wood.
But that wood better be in a hole in the ground that you just dug, that's real bbq. If you're just using a stick burner, you may as well just cook with lump. :roll:

Back