MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-09-2016, 11:02 AM   #1
brinks17
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Default Broken pipe underneath BBQ, need repair advice

Not sure if this is the right place for this kind of question, but I am in need of help.

We have a small Coleman portable BBQ that my mother in law tried to take down the other day. The small propane tank was still attached, the BBQ fell and snapped a pipe that leads to the burners.
I have called every BBQ repair place in my area, but they all said they could do nothing to help.

Hoping someone here could give me some sort of advice, it's be a shame to throw out this unit, almost brand new.

I have included a link below with pictures of the broken piece.

http://imgur.com/a/hmzkP
brinks17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2016, 11:19 AM   #2
Mikebeme
Full Fledged Farker

You need an EZ out to remove the broken piece in the regulator and then a pipe die to rethread the pipe, looks like a 1/8" pipe
Mikebeme is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2016, 11:19 AM   #3
Garyclaw
Babbling Farker

Could use an Easy Out to remove the threads in the regulator and re-thread the pipe.

Big BarBChef built in to the Outdoor Kitchen, 2 Weber kettles, 1 UDS, Little Chief Electric, 2 Propane Fish Cookers/Turkey Fryers,
a swinging grate over my [COLOR=red]Fire pit,[/COLOR][COLOR=black] Big Pig Cooker, SJS, Big Easy Oil Less. Blackstone Pizza Oven[/COLOR]

"Nice talkin' to ya" :yo:
Garyclaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2016, 11:38 AM   #4
Aceman
On the road to being a farker

Use Google. Type the name of the grill and model. I've replaced parts for my tents to grills no problem from stores that focus solely on that stuff.

Old 08-09-2016, 11:54 AM   #5
jpbsarris
Knows what a fatty is.

If you can tell me the model number I'll try to find a supplier for new parts. If parts are not available you might try this if you have access to a shop. See if you can get the broken pipe end out of the regulator by using a large easy out or internal pipe wrench. If you get it out then you can have the burner pipe re-threaded on the broken end and probably just move the regulator bracket over a bit. It looks like it is just attached by screws. You will probably have to grind a bit from the case so that the hole is aligned. Another option would be to cut a little off the broken pipe and have a nipple welded back onto the pipe.
jpbsarris is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2016, 02:29 PM   #6
tractoman
Got Wood.

Try Coleman. I have repaired many Coleman products and repair parts are pretty readily available.

Old 08-09-2016, 03:31 PM   #7
Joe Black
Babbling Farker

All of the above is really good advice. One more try would be to contact the folks who install gas logs in fireplaces. They should be able to fix this in a couple of minutes.
Joe Black is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2016, 12:12 AM   #8
guero_gordo
is one Smokin' Farker

I'd bet there's sealant on the threads of that stub in the regulator housing. If they used the type that requires heat to release, be careful since some of your reg parts may not enjoy being hot.

Old 08-10-2016, 02:28 PM   #9
jpbsarris
Knows what a fatty is.

If the sealant is a hardening type paste it can be very difficult to break loose. If you heat it up you will probably ruin the seat or diaphragm. You can try drilling out the pipe with a bit a little larger than the inside diameter so it is almost cut through to the threads. Then use a sharp punch and try to bend it inward in several places, then try tapping it out counterclockwise. Worst case, you screw it up and buy a new one anyway.
jpbsarris is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Tags
advice, broken pipe, repair