"Cast Iron!" Throwdown (Entry & Discussion Thread) LASTS Through Monday, May 24th!!

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Our New Throwdown Category is...

"Cast Iron!"

rolf.jpg

This was rolf's winning entry in the 2010- "Cast Iron Throwdown

As chosen by ssv3 for winning the "Eat Like a Greek" Throwdown.

CATEGORY DESCRIPTION - PLEASE READ:

ssv3 said:
I'd like the next TD theme to be "Cast Iron" You are to make a dish using cast iron cookware, which can include a griddle, Dutch Oven, skillet, etc, as long as it's made of cast iron. You could cook on a cast iron dish on a grill, in a smoker, or even over an open fire. You could also grill on cast iron grates, you could put a cast iron dish in the smoker to absorb smoky goodness, as long as your dish features grilled/smoked foods.

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 5/7 through Monday 5/24.

Entry pictures must be submitted by Noon Central US Time on Monday 5/24.

Click here to read the rules for the BBQ Brethren Throwdowns...

Best of luck and even better eats to all!

Last edited:
Would that include carbon steel pans/griddles?

I'm just asking for a friend...

I'm guessing that should be OK, however, let's see what Sako has to say since he chose this Throwdown.

Would that include carbon steel pans/griddles?

I'm just asking for a friend...

I don't see why not. Only difference is one has more carbon in it than the other but same components. Fire away guys! :biggrin1:

Does it have to be cooked on a grill/smoker/etc, or is any form of heat ok as long as it’s cooked in cast iron? Either way: It’s gonna be on like Donkey Kong!

Figured that would be the case, but wanted to check. Love cooking in my cast iron; I gotta think of something good for this one!

Does it have to be cooked on a grill/smoker/etc, or is any form of heat ok as long as it’s cooked in cast iron? Either way: It’s gonna be on like Donkey Kong!

So need a ruling: based on the above quote pan-fried is out?

To expand on Sako's response, rule #3 should clarify both questions:

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]3. Entries must be grilled or smoked during the cooking process, or must prominently feature grilled or smoked ingredients which you prepared. Photos of your food on the grill or smoker are encouraged but not required (we love action shots). Using a gas grill is perfectly acceptable, unless a particular category requires the use of a wood or charcoal cooker. Additionally, other forms of wood or gas cooking are fine, which would include a wood fired fireplace (indoor or outdoor), a firepit(gas or wood fired), and other gas/propane powered cookers like pizza ovens, flat tops, and griddles.[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=135049[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

Back