MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 04-18-2021, 06:41 PM   #1
ACW67
Got rid of the matchlight.

Name/Nickname : Anthony
Default Brisket knife

Can someone give me a recommendation on a good brisket knife for competitions? Also, electric or manual? Thanks
ACW67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2021, 07:00 PM   #2
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2021, 07:43 PM   #3
gettinbasted
is One Chatty Farker

Shun brisket knife. Hands down.

Old 04-19-2021, 07:38 AM   #4
PatAttack
somebody shut me the fark up.

This.

https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Wi...%2C218&sr=1-28

They also have a 12" version.

22" WSM
22" Weber Gold
Weber Smoky Joe
Weber Gasser
Rec-Tec 590
PatAttack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2021, 07:48 AM   #5
airedale
is one Smokin' Farker

For a warm and wiggly brisket, I like an electric knife. My son has one (don't remember the brand) that is sold to fishermen as a filleting knife. That one is especially nice.

For cool or cold brisket, a slicing knife with a Granton edge is good. Dexter-Russell has many options at very attractive prices. https://www.dexterrussellcutlery.com...arving-knives/ Unless you just have to impress the neighbors, IMO the expensive branded knives are a waste of money. Dexter is what the pros use.
airedale is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2021, 09:51 AM   #6
smokeisgood
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatAttack View Post
This.

https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Wi...%2C218&sr=1-28

They also have a 12" version.
I don't have this particular knife, but I have the 6 and 8 inch filet knives. Love them, razor sharp and the handle does not get slippery when your hands get greasy. That said, I use an electric knife on brisket because, why not.

Old 04-19-2021, 09:54 AM   #7
smokeisgood
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by airedale View Post
For a warm and wiggly brisket, I like an electric knife. My son has one (don't remember the brand) that is sold to fishermen as a filleting knife. That one is especially nice.

For cool or cold brisket, a slicing knife with a Granton edge is good. Dexter-Russell has many options at very attractive prices. https://www.dexterrussellcutlery.com...arving-knives/ Unless you just have to impress the neighbors, IMO the expensive branded knives are a waste of money. Dexter is what the pros use.
Lot's of people swear by Dexter Russell. As for expensive kitchen knives, I would love to have a really nice set of Shun for the kitchen (but I won't buy them because my wife won't take care of them---- she ruined her Henckle's putting them in the dishwasher), but for BBQ, I think the inexpensive knives are the way to go.

Old 04-21-2021, 04:17 PM   #8
manmeatbbq
Knows what a fatty is.

This is the knife we use to slice brisket. It is an electric, cordless knife. Cuisinart CEK-50

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cuisina...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
manmeatbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-22-2021, 11:15 PM   #9
didisea
Take a breath!

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/prod...risket-slicer/

This is the best brisket knife. It has the tip of the knife shaped properly for slicing brisket. A round nosed slicing knife does not do as good a job IMO.
didisea is offline   Reply With Quote