MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-17-2015, 10:26 AM   #811
Cibelo
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil_Inside View Post
I am not sure if this would work. When I first got the PBC I had a big problem controlling the temperature - it would start off very hot and then it would drop like a rock, thus I cooked chicken for literally 4 hours. I reached out to Noah and he identified that I wasn't lighting the charcoal correctly - basically I was doing exactly what you are describing - waiting additional 15 minutes with the lid off to get the charcoal going, and it simply didn't work for me.

Ever since I started following "the guide" the temperature is a lot more controlled, but I am still having some issues (see my previous post).
I will try lighting a few more briquettes and leaving them in the chimney for a few more minutes and I am hoping this will help some.
I'm going to keep trying for the right combination. I am going to try what Noah recommended next cook.
Cibelo is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 07-17-2015, 01:48 PM   #812
AClarke44
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cibelo View Post
I'm going to keep trying for the right combination. I am going to try what Noah recommended next cook.
I was hoping you'd see that post. Let's us know what you found out when you try out the recommendations.
22.5 Crimson Weber Premium
Char-Broil Big Easy Oil-Less Turker Fryer
LoCo 80qt crawfish kit

Re-homed cookers:
Black Weber OTG (Happy Hapgood)
Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC)
Char-griller Akorn
28” Blackstone Pro Series
Oklahoma Joe’s Bronco

Check out the PBC Appreciation Thread!
[url]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210239[/url]
AClarke44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2015, 08:59 PM   #813
jjjonz
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjess50 View Post
I know I'll get flamed for this but I have found using the lighter fluid method (and using plenty of it) works the best for me. It provides a good, even burn that lasts. I light it outside the barrel and then place the basket in the barrel with a heavy rake when it's nice and hot.
Been working for me except I do it all in the barrel ..

Old 07-17-2015, 09:04 PM   #814
ssv3
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Sako

Nothing wrong with lighter fluid. I do it time to time.
Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2015, 04:56 PM   #815
Bob C Cue
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Just a last reminder that Noah, the other inventor of the PBC, will be at the Chicago area Bash tomorrow. Details of the event are in my signature below. He will probably get the around 11am. Hope to see some of you PBC fans there.
Thermapen Classic
Thermoworks Smoke

Ephesians 2:8-9
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast
Bob C Cue is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-19-2015, 10:23 AM   #816
Cibelo
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssv3 View Post
It seems to me that many more coals are lit using the lighter fluid than there are using a chimney. Should we be lighting more than 40 briquettes to start with?
Cibelo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2015, 11:11 AM   #817
AClarke44
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cibelo View Post
It seems to me that many more coals are lit using the lighter fluid than there are using a chimney. Should we be lighting more than 40 briquettes to start with?
I've never used lighter fluid but I know a few people who have. Some of them experienced the PBC getting too hot when they used fluid. Using the chimney and 40 briquettes helped lower temps. So I would say people like yourself who are having problems with temp drop may benefit from starting more briquettes. I wouldn't add more than 4-6 more the first time though.

I'd try Noah's recommdation first though.
LoCo 80qt crawfish kit

Re-homed cookers:
Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC)
Char-griller Akorn
Oklahoma Joe’s Bronco

Old 07-19-2015, 11:19 AM   #818
SGH
is One Chatty Farker

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssv3 View Post
Agree. I have been using it my whole life, no need to stop now.

Old 07-19-2015, 12:51 PM   #819
northeast bbqer
Full Fledged Farker

Hung 2 chickens today and 1 rack of ribs. Here are the chicken halves:

Good crispy skin:

I'm partial to dark meat, so here's mine:
northeast bbqer is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-19-2015, 02:10 PM   #820
AClarke44
Babbling Farker

Chicken looks great! How'd the ribs turn out?
LoCo 80qt crawfish kit

Re-homed cookers:
Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC)
Char-griller Akorn
Oklahoma Joe’s Bronco

Old 07-19-2015, 04:22 PM   #821
Kmartyn
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default All one piece

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thingfish View Post
For catching ash, I bought an 18" pizza tray, notched the edge for the three PBC grill grate tabs and attached three strands of small chain to the edge, the three meeting on a keyring. I just lift the coal basket out and then lift the keyring, bringing all the ash out in an easy to empty tray. Total cost = less than 5$. Others have attached their pizza tray to the coal basket itself.
I just drilled a small hole in each foot of the coal basket, and bolted the pizza tray right to. There are a couple of extra nuts on the bolt as spacers, to ensure good air flow.
Kmartyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2015, 04:32 PM   #822
Kmartyn

Default Did the temperature stay OK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjonz View Post
Small charcoal basket for a shorter cook ...about 6 hrs.
That looks like a great idea. Shame to use a full basket for 2 hr chicken. I thought of just putting less coals in there, but I am new at real BBQ, and was not sure how it would affect the cooker.

I have a temp controller on the PBC now, so maybe I will try just a 1/2 full basket.

Old 07-19-2015, 04:40 PM   #823
AClarke44
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmartyn View Post
That looks like a great idea. Shame to use a full basket for 2 hr chicken. I thought of just putting less coals in there, but I am new at real BBQ, and was not sure how it would affect the cooker.

I have a temp controller on the PBC now, so maybe I will try just a 1/2 full basket.
It works and won't effect heat as long as you light the same amount of coals as you usually do. I did something similar where I blocked half the coal basket with fire brick so I could cut the coal amount in half for a chicken cook. Temps were the same as usual. Still had some coals left over.....
LoCo 80qt crawfish kit

Re-homed cookers:
Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC)
Char-griller Akorn
Oklahoma Joe’s Bronco

Old 07-19-2015, 04:47 PM   #824
Kmartyn

Default Temp Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil_Inside View Post
I must be doing something wrong because I cannot seem to get consistent results using my PBC This thing is so simple and yet somehow it doesn't quite run "as advertised" for me... I've noticed that the cook times are significantly greater than what most are reporting no matter what I cook - chicken, pork, etc.

This weekend I decided to smoke a 9lbs Boston Butt. I followed the instructions to the "t" and it came out absolutely perfect, but it took 6.5 hours - 4.5 hours to reach 160* and another 2.5 hours to reach 200* (wrapped in foil). No biggie, it was well worth the wait

I then decided to smoke 4 racks of SLC ribs. I decided to cut the racks in half because they were on the long side, and last time I did babybacks the end ribs (close to the charcoal basket) were a bit on the dry side. They were supposed to take about 3.5 hours (cook 3 hours, sauce and cook another 30 minutes) but in reality after 4.5 hours they still weren't as tender as they should have. I should have left them on there for another 30 minutes, but it was getting late and everybody was starving.

While I was smoking the ribs I noticed that the charcoal closer the vent was glowing pretty good, while the stuff on the back was barely going. As a result the ribs closer to the front were pulling away from the bone a lot more and were a lot more tender than the ones in the rear.

I haven't done chicken in a while, but I did a bunch of times in the past and I could never get close to the 2 hour mark, which according to Noah "works like clockwork". It usually 3, sometimes 4 hours for me.

I should mention that I am at 220ft elevation and I have my vent open 1/4 to 1/3 way and that I have been using exclusively Kingsford blue charcoal. I light the smoker per the instructions - fill the basket to the top (level), remove about 30 briquettes, light them in a chimney, wait 10-15 minutes, dump them in the basket and start hanging the meat.
I leave the lid closed until the meat is supposed to be close to done and I use a high quality digital thermometer so that I can monitor the temperature of the meat throughout the cook.

I am trying to figure out if I am doing something wrong, or all of this is considered normal. I am not bashing the PBC - I love the thing and I just want to learn how to get the most of it and perhaps get some a little bit more consisting results. As it stands today it is very hard to plan when to start smoking X if we want to have dinner at Y. I remember the first time I decided to do chicken we started a bit late and we figured it would be ready by 10pm the latest, but ended up eating at Midnight instead. Chicken was very tasty though
Being new at this I added a temperature controller to get things consistent after my first couple of cooks. It is kinda messing with the simplicity of the PBC, but does give me more consistent times.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (89.9 KB, 242 views)

Old 07-19-2015, 04:54 PM   #825
Kmartyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully13 View Post
I am a new PBC owner! This thread has had a wealth of information and inspiring pictures. So thanks to all of you contributing.

I have cooked with the PBC 3 times. I never BBQ'd anything before. I am getting better each time. The first cook I had the 'sea level' long cook time problem. My chicken and ribs finished at the same time! Almost 4 hours. I followed the instructions on the video exactly for using a chimney to start (15 minutes). After that I did some looking around and found this post here at BBQ Brethren that helped me:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...0&postcount=23

On the second cook, I let the chimney go for 12 minutes and dumped the coals in the PBC basket and then let it go for another 8 minutes with the top off. Chicken and ribs were done about the prescribed times from the PBC videos. Third cook went the same way.

Now I just need to take and post some pictures.
I have been doing 15 in the chimney, and 15 in the basket before the food goes on. Coals have a nice ash cover at that point.

Tags
hanging meat, Hooking meat, Noah Glanville, PBC, PBJ, pit barrel cooker, pit barrel junior, pork butt, set it and forget it