MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-27-2010, 03:11 PM   #1
fatguyputter
On the road to being a farker

Question Foodsaver 3440 vs Foodsaver 3840

I received each of these two models for Christmas and after seeing reviews (which were all kinda hit and miss for both models), I decided to take it to a higher court--The Brethren.

Any reviews of either of these models would be appreciated. I need to figure out which one to keep.

Thanks
fatguyputter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2010, 03:58 PM   #2
Myrdhyn
Full Fledged Farker

Normally I don't post on a forum so soon after registering, but I've gotta speak up here. I have the 3440, and truth be told if I could do it over again, I'd take it back and get one of the lower end, manual style food savers. The 3440 and up, upright style, with the "smart seal" blah blah are a giant PITA to get bags into properly and to seal right. You're much better off with the manual style that you just lay the bag in and close. I know that doesn't help you too much with your dilemma, but what I would try and do is take both back for store credit, bet the lower end manual style one, the mason jar sealing attachment, and a ton of bags.
Myrdhyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-27-2010, 04:33 PM   #3
Groundhog66
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Tim

I don't have one of the upright models either, but I do know that my V2830 works great. Do a bit more research on all the models, and perhaps you can return both of them to get the one that will suit you best.
SM BGE
Weber 26" & JJ
Blackstone 36" & 22"
Brick Santa Maria Pit
Groundhog66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2010, 04:48 PM   #4
aquablue22
Babbling Farker

My son has the 3840 and really like it, save space on the counter. they use it almost everyday, no complaints.

I have an older manual model....
2 - 18.5 Weber Kettle
1 - WSM Mini

I live in fear that my Wife will sell all my "TOYS" when I die for WHAT I told her I paid for them!!
aquablue22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2010, 04:58 PM   #5
pizzakngjr
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Kyle

I also have an upright. V3480 I believe. I love it, but have to partially agree with Myrdhyn. Occasionally it is a pain to get the bag in, especially if the items are of some weight. Other than that I love it! And on the vacuum hose for the marinade containers etc, DO NOT pull it out past the green tape. Learned the hard way and now it will not retract, And guess what the manual says. "Do not pull hose past green line." Oops!
pizzakngjr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2010, 05:16 PM   #6
foodace
Got Wood.

I have to agree with Myrdhyn. I have the 3440 and sometimes it works great and sometimes it plays hard to get with the bags. In addition you have to use a lot of extra bag just to have a chance. I just picked up a 2222 on that recent closeout and I'm looking forward to going manual.

Last edited by foodace; 12-27-2010 at 05:38 PM..
foodace is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2010, 03:32 PM   #7
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

Not to high jack this but has anyone used the kenmore model. I have not seen the manual foodsaver anywhere. Got the 3400 style for Xmas and was thinking of changing to this one. Sears usually has theirs made by some big company.

If I switch I can save $40. While I was looking today a lady customer stopped and said she has the sears manual one and loves it.

[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3][FONT=Tahoma]A veteran is Someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer understand it. Author unknown.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=Red][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
Chef Jim is offline   Reply With Quote