MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-16-2018, 01:40 PM   #1
sthamm
Full Fledged Farker

Default Seasoned Post Oak in DFW?

Called up my go-to wood guy today only to find out he's no longer in the business. Before I found him, I wasted a lot of time meeting up with various Craigslist vendors. Anyone willing to share their source?
sthamm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2018, 03:47 PM   #2
ClintHTX
is One Chatty Farker

I cut lots of post oak because that’s all I have around my house. But it’s pretty abundant. You shouldn’t have trouble finding any other than it being so dang cold here lately people are buying lots of fire wood. I just cut a little over a rick hoping to use it come summer time. How much are you looking for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-16-2018, 03:55 PM   #3
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Viet King Cong

This is where I get my Pecan and Post Oak from... guy lives in Frisco but has a farm near Emory where he source his trees.

http://firewoodfrisco.com/

But hell, I just might buy some from Clint next time

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-16-2018, 05:16 PM   #4
sthamm
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClintHTX View Post
I cut lots of post oak because that’s all I have around my house. But it’s pretty abundant. You shouldn’t have trouble finding any other than it being so dang cold here lately people are buying lots of fire wood. I just cut a little over a rick hoping to use it come summer time. How much are you looking for?
Clint, looking for about 1/4 to 1/2 cord...whatever will fit into the back of my Tacoma. Looks like you're a good bit away from me if you're in Granbury.

I'll send a text to that Frisco place and see what's available.

Old 01-16-2018, 05:24 PM   #5
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Viet King Cong

His house is across from the Frisco Commons Park if you do the local pick up (Preston/Main).

Old 01-16-2018, 05:30 PM   #6
Westx
is One Chatty Farker

Check here http://www.abfpinc.com/ They are in Irving off Beltline.
Assassin 36” Pellet Grill
LSG Mini on reversed comp cart
LSG 20”x36” pellet grill
Wes
Westx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2018, 05:52 PM   #7
BeardedBassGuy
Full Fledged Farker

I've been calling around for more than 2 weeks. I haven't found anyone with oak over a month old. If you find anyone, let me know ��
BeardedBassGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2018, 06:54 PM   #8
lankster35
Take a breath!

I know it is not easy but I try to get where I will be buying wood in the summer and not running out in the winter. That way you don't need to compete with the fireplaces. I can't help on place as mine comes from Lampassas and I get it when I make weekend trips.

Another thing for those in TX who pick their electricity company - To save money on the cost per KWH get on a plan where you are signing up in the Fall or Winter and not heading into the summer. There is normally a big difference in the rates.

Old 01-17-2018, 08:45 AM   #9
ModelMaker
Quintessential Chatty Farker

after just traveling through D/fW on our way to South Padre I fell in love with the trees I think are called "live oaks". Thick heavy trunks with a very beautiful evergreen symmetrical canopys. Is this the source of cooking wood called "post oak"?
Ed
Extremely seasoned hand hammered Wok
Pit Boss-HART BURN Competition BBQ Team
KCBS certified judge

And Your not the boss of me either!!
ModelMaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2018, 09:30 AM   #10
ClintHTX
is One Chatty Farker

Ed that would be a live oak. They are beautiful trees but a pain to split because their grain run so twisted. I like splitting post oak because it’s all straight mostly. I can split post oak prolly quicker with a maul than a hydraulic splitter.

Old 01-17-2018, 09:32 AM   #11
sthamm
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westx View Post
Check here http://www.abfpinc.com/ They are in Irving off Beltline.
Just called them and they have seasoned post oak mixed with red oak. I’ve never smoked red oak before...anything I should know about it? Thinking I’ll pick some up after work today.

Old 01-17-2018, 09:44 AM   #12
BeardedBassGuy
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthamm View Post
Just called them and they have seasoned post oak mixed with red oak. I’ve never smoked red oak before...anything I should know about it? Thinking I’ll pick some up after work today.
Red oak is fine. Very abundant in East Texas where I'm from. Maybe a but more Smokey than post oak but not much.
BeardedBassGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-17-2018, 11:10 AM   #13
sparctek
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthamm View Post
I buy from that company. In my experienced even though it is sold as seasoned, it still needs some time before it burns well in a smoker. When I buy from them I usually end up splitting their splits in half and seasoning for another 6-8 months before I use it.

Red oak is fine but as was already said it does tend to be a little "smokier" if that's a word. But, it is perfect for grilling.

Old 01-19-2018, 05:40 PM   #14
mbrass
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparctek View Post
I buy from that company. In my experienced even though it is sold as seasoned, it still needs some time before it burns well in a smoker. When I buy from them I usually end up splitting their splits in half and seasoning for another 6-8 months before I use it.

Red oak is fine but as was already said it does tend to be a little "smokier" if that's a word. But, it is perfect for grilling.

I've also been told to look here (used to live in Dallas area). Regarding Red Oak, it's fantastic. It's my go to wood for Tri-Tip, or any type of steak.
mbrass is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2018, 08:03 PM   #15
Westx
is One Chatty Farker

Another place you might check is Big Johns in Whisky Flats which is South of Benbrook. My Brookshires sells their smoking wood and it is pretty good.
Assassin 36” Pellet Grill
LSG Mini on reversed comp cart
LSG 20”x36” pellet grill
Wes
Westx is offline   Reply With Quote