Where to eat in Austin

Blowin' Smoke

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I’m heading to Austin tomorrow for a class all weekend and am looking for suggestions for good BBQ. Franklins was on the list but they will sell out before my class ends each day. Blacks is on the list...but anywhere else y’all would recommend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Micklethwait's craft meats is a walk from Franklin

Valentina's a must

La Barbecue

Stiles Switch I heard is good

John Mueller's Black Box, Kruez, & Stiles Switch come to mind right off the bat. Stiles Switch serves all day and might be the easiest option - plus they have a patio, bar, live music, etc. Not sure what time Black Box closes but I'm a huge fan of John Mueller's cooking. Might be worth checking the hours at Louie Mueller's which is a little bit away but iconic for good reason.

There are some spots I haven't checked out that are supposed to be fantastic like Mickelthwaite Craft Meats and Valentino's Tex Mex BBQ.

Great non-BBQ spots would be places like Torchy's Tacos, Hyde Park Bar & Grill, Matt's El Rancho, & Tacos More. There are lots of great places to eat there.

I completely agree with the information above. If you want to go to Black's just to say you've been to the oldest bbq joint in Texas it' ok. IMO any of those listed above serve better food. I'm definitely a +1 for tacos at Valentina's.

I completely agree with the information above. If you want to go to Black's just to say you've been to the oldest bbq joint in Texas it' ok. IMO any of those listed above serve better food. I'm definitely a +1 for tacos at Valentina's.

Amen on Blacks. Exactly my thought on food there.

Went to Blacks in Lockhart and it was the worst que of the trip. Not bad by any means but much better out there. Terry Blacks in Austin I thought was very good though.

Yep! I was actually disappointed at Lockhart. Brisket reminded me of pot roast.:tape:

You best bet for "All day Texas BBQ" around downtown area is TERRY BLACKS BBQ on Barton Springs Rd. Not to be confused with Blacks Austin (no nostalgia, bad BBQ) and Original Blacks in Lockhart (good nostalgia, bad BBQ)

Outside of that you mostly playing the "sold out game". You also have Stiles Switch, but I would take Terrys over Stiles.

I hit Coopers in downtown a couple years ago. It was really good, not sure when they sell out though. Another good non bbq place to try is Banger's Sausage House. Heard it's supposed to be good. When I tried going it was packed and no parking anywhere nearby.

Lot of hate on Black's. I've only been twice. First time was alright, not memorable by any stretch. I would certainly agree that the other places on the list were better. The second time I was passing through and I must've hit them on a good day because I had the best brisket I can remember.

Back