Anyone ever buy a Fresh BRT Ham?

Itsdone

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Im thinking of buying one for roast pork sandwiches because im not getting the right muscle texture from boneless picnic and boneless pork butts. Fresh hams are more "meaty" but huge and expensive. My question is are boneless fresh hams one solid piece like a cured boneless ham, or will it fall apart after removing the trussing and slicing? Should i order some meat glue and remove the trussing and sprinkle some on before cooking?

I have never bought a fresh ham so i have no idea the internal structure besides what you get when you buy a cured ham.

I'm not sure what BRT means. But I always thought 'ham' meant 'cured'. Is fresh ham just an unsmoked, uncooked cured leg? Anything boneless (of any kind of meat) that I've bought slices fine. You may get pieces that separate, but I like that for sandwich meat. If you are wanting one big slice of meat, your meat glue might be the way to go.

I'm not sure what BRT means. But I always thought 'ham' meant 'cured'. Is fresh ham just an unsmoked, uncooked cured leg? Anything boneless (of any kind of meat) that I've bought slices fine. You may get pieces that separate, but I like that for sandwich meat. If you are wanting one big slice of meat, your meat glue might be the way to go.

BRT ( Boneless Rolled Tied ) Fresh Ham is a specific cut from a Pig. It has more leaner meat then picnic or butt, but not as lean as loin. My gut feeling is boneless ( retail ) cured hams do use meat glue, but i have seen some higher end boneless hams that are half moon shaped that don't look like they were glued together. I could be wrong though.

Well, I always thought picnic, butt is hog shoulder while ham is rear upper leg. Ham is cured. Green ham is uncured/fresh.

Huh? Is this a doctor seuss story? Green eggs and ham? Im looking for helpful information, not story book tales.

Green ham is an actual term meaning that the ham has not been cured or processed in any way. The ham (BRT) will be tied back to it's original shape for cooking purposes, and you can cook it that way or you can untie it and cook it flat and cut your cooking time. Laying flat, the ham will be in one large, flatter piece, imagine it being butterflied. Unless you absolutely want the larger slices, you could probably just section it out and have decent slices, at least large enough to cover most types of bread.

Fresh ham is just that, an uncured hindquarter, usually separated into a butt and shank half, it is a leaner cut, you don't cook it for pulling, rather it's sliced like a roast beef.
We always had it for special occasions with gravy, potato balls and red cabbage or creamed vegetables, or both. :-D
It's only recently that I've seen fresh hams available again and at a good price, but they are big, lot of meat if you can use it or store it.

Bob, As Ron pointed out, green ham is a common term for a ham that has not gone through the curing process. An uncured ham is also called a fresh ham. People associate the hammy taste with the cure that is used in ham. Cooking a fresh/green ham that has not been cured will taste like roast pork. If there is no cure used in the ham, it will not taste "hammy".

There is another thing to consider about what to expect from those uncured upper leg muscles. The cure changes the texture of the meat and if you are expecting that texture of the fresh ham to be the same texture of a cured ham, it will not be the same. The texture will be like roast pork and the grains will not be as tight as they would be on a cured ham.

Last edited:
Bob, As Ron pointed out, green ham is a common term for a ham that has not gone through the curing process. An uncured ham is also called a fresh ham. People associate the hammy taste with the cure that is used in ham. Cooking a fresh/green ham that has not been cured will taste like roast pork. If there is no cure used in the ham, it will not taste "hammy".

There is another thing to consider about what to expect from those uncured upper leg muscles. The cure changes the texture of the meat and if you are expecting that texture of the fresh ham to be the same texture of a cured ham, it will not be the same. The texture will be like roast pork and the grains will not be as tight as they would be on a cured ham.

I never heard it being called green. But yes, i am looking for a "meaty" but loose muscle texture. Butt and picnic have too many fat seams to make it less viable for slicing for roast pork sandwiches. I am just debating if i should go boneless or bone in and debone myself. Wondering if i would end up with larger solid muscle groups doing it myself.

If you want a solid slice of pork for a sandwich and you don't want the hassle or high cost of a fresh ham, it sounds like a boneless pork loin may be your best answer. You can get them fairly cheap (less than $2/lb on sale), and any size. Try a 2lb., or so, roast and see if it suits your needs. It's very lean, so don't overcook it.

If you want a solid slice of pork for a sandwich and you don't want the hassle or high cost of a fresh ham, it sounds like a boneless pork loin may be your best answer. You can get them fairly cheap (less than $2/lb on sale), and any size. Try a 2lb., or so, roast and see if it suits your needs. It's very lean, so don't overcook it.

No way, too lean. That cut is meant for pork jerky only.

Bob, Try this with a pork loin. Use your favorite rub on the loin and cook it with plenty of smoke. If I buy the whole loin, I cook it in three sections. Cook the loin until the internal temp reaches at least 140F and no higher than 145F. After your take the loin off the smoker, let it rest unwrapped until the meat is cool enough to put in the refrigerator. Wrap the meat or place in a Zip-Lock bag and place in the fridge until the next day. Once the morning comes, get your sharpest knife and you should be able to slice the meat thin for sandwiches. The meat will be plenty moist and tender for sandwiches.

I have also made pastrami and Canadian bacon using pork loin. I have never used it for making jerky. I saw a post on that subject recently and after reading that post, I think that the loin section of the hog would be good for making jerky. Do you have a recipe to share?

Bob, Try this with a pork loin. Use your favorite rub on the loin and cook it with plenty of smoke. If I buy the whole loin, I cook it in three sections. Cook the loin until the internal temp reaches at least 140F and no higher than 145F. After your take the loin off the smoker, let it rest unwrapped until the meat is cool enough to put in the refrigerator. Wrap the meat or place in a Zip-Lock bag and place in the fridge until the next day. Once the morning comes, get your sharpest knife and you should be able to slice the meat thin for sandwiches. The meat will be plenty moist and tender for sandwiches.

I have also made pastrami and Canadian bacon using pork loin. I have never used it for making jerky. I saw a post on that subject recently and after reading that post, I think that the loin section of the hog would be good for making jerky. Do you have a recipe to share?

Negative Juggy, You would have to pay me to use Pork Loin. Ive used boneless picnic but i have to aggressively trim the fat seams. But i need muscle with a decent amount of intramuscular fat. And "Fresh" Ham is exactly that. That is the cut all the shops in Philly use.

Well Bob, I was only trying to broaden your horizons. Speaking as someone who used to cater, I cooked a lot of pork loins that were sliced thin and were served as sandwich meat. Pulled pork was also offered and I thought our pulled pork was good, but our sliced loin always ran out first.

If what you are looking for is a singular muscle from the bag leg of the hog for your sandwich material, good luck. You might find a store that sells individual muscle cuts from the hind leg, but you will pay a premium price for that meat. Your other alternative is to buy a whole fresh/green ham and separate the individual muscles yourself. By cooking the individual muscles separately, you will be able to read the grain of each muscle so you can determine which way to slice the muscle against the grain.

Your last alternative is to ask all these shops in Philly where they purchase the cuts that you are trying to duplicate at home. Good luck.

Well Bob, I was only trying to broaden your horizons. Speaking as someone who used to cater, I cooked a lot of pork loins that were sliced thin and were served as sandwich meat. Pulled pork was also offered and I thought our pulled pork was good, but our sliced loin always ran out first.

If what you are looking for is a singular muscle from the bag leg of the hog for your sandwich material, good luck. You might find a store that sells individual muscle cuts from the hind leg, but you will pay a premium price for that meat. Your other alternative is to buy a whole fresh/green ham and separate the individual muscles yourself. By cooking the individual muscles separately, you will be able to read the grain of each muscle so you can determine which way to slice the muscle against the grain.

Your last alternative is to ask all these shops in Philly where they purchase the cuts that you are trying to duplicate at home. Good luck.

Juggy, I almost think you should try a Philly roast pork sandwich from Tony Lukes or John's roast pork. Or Dinic's roast pork in reading station. You will definitely rethink your pork loin sandwiches. I feel bad for your customers.

Bob, I am the second person who has tried to help you that you have thrown insults at!

I would suggest that you go to Tony Lukes, John's roast pork or Dinic's roast pork in Reading Station and ask them what cut they are using for their sandwiches because you obviously are not going to get the answer you are looking for on this web-page; especially if your closed mind is already made up on what you think you want to hear............

Bob, I am the second person who has tried to help you that you have thrown insults at!

I would suggest that you go to Tony Lukes, John's roast pork or Dinic's roast pork in Reading Station and ask them what cut they are using for their sandwiches because you obviously are not going to get the answer you are looking for on this web-page; especially if your closed mind is already made up on what you think you want to hear............

How did i throw an insult? I made it clear i was not into Pork loin. You failed to read my original posts. I only wanted posts on Fresh Ham. You decided to go on about garbage pork loin. Now you are mad. Sorry Juggy.

Pork loin is garbage?:rolleyes:
nothing wrong with loin of pork roasts and pork chops cooked properly, yes it's not fresh ham, but apparently you didn't have any knowledge of that either thus your post...
All anyone said was if a fresh ham is too big for you consider a loin...trying to be helpful is not a sin.....

Bob here is insult number one: JRDNCC gave you legitimate information concerning the location of where the ham comes from. He also replied that a green ham was an uncured/fresh.

Here is your reply: "Huh? Is this a doctor seuss story? Green eggs and ham? Im looking for helpful information, not story book tales."

Someone tries to give you helpful and correct information trying to lead you to the cut of pork you are trying to locate and you post that reply? There is insult number one.

You tell me that you feel sorry for the people who ate my catered sliced pork loin? You are insulting my cooking without even knowing me, let alone sampled what you are debasing. There is insult number two.

Your posts lead me to believe you seem to be determined to have someone tell you the predetermined answer you want to hear. You obviously know little about the various cuts of meat on a hog. How many hogs have you butchered? Have you ever cut out and separated the various muscles on the hind leg of a hog? If you have done any of this you would not be asking the questions you have.

I suggested the pork loin alternative because your lack of knowledge about hams. Fresh hams are not easy to locate for retail purchase and they are they are not cheap. If you are looking for one particular large muscle to make your sandwich meat, what plans do you have for the smaller muscles? Do you have knife skills to separate these muscles properly? You aren't going to get but a few pounds of meat from that large muscle and those sandwiches are going to be expensive.

You remind me of the time I offered to help some ladies change a flat tire. They were having trouble breaking the lug nuts loose. The whole time I am breaking the nuts loose, they started preaching their women's lib propaganda at me while insulting me for being a man. When I got to the last lug nut, I told them I was done taking their insults and that they were on their own. I left them with one tight lug nut and those parting words. And my parting words to you are, "Itsdone, I am done."

Last edited:
Bob here is insult number one: JRDNCC gave you legitimate information concerning the location of where the ham comes from. He also replied that a green ham was an uncured/fresh.

Here is your reply: "Huh? Is this a doctor seuss story? Green eggs and ham? Im looking for helpful information, not story book tales."

Someone tries to give you helpful and correct information trying to lead you to the cut of pork you are trying to locate and you post that reply? There is insult number one.

You tell me that you feel sorry for the people who ate my catered sliced pork loin? You are insulting my cooking without even knowing me, let alone sampled what you are debasing. There is insult number two.

Your posts lead me to believe you seem to be determined to have someone tell you the predetermined answer you want to hear. You obviously know little about the various cuts of meat on a hog. How many hogs have you butchered? Have you ever cut out and separated the various muscles on the hind leg of a hog? If you have done any of this you would not be asking the questions you have.

I suggested the pork loin alternative because your lack of knowledge about hams. Fresh hams are not easy to locate for retail purchase and they are they are not cheap. If you are looking for one particular large muscle to make your sandwich meat, what plans do you have for the smaller muscles? Do you have knife skills to separate these muscles properly? You aren't going to get but a few pounds of meat from that large muscle and those sandwiches are going to be expensive.

You remind me of the time I offered to help some ladies change a flat tire. They were having trouble breaking the lug nuts loose. The whole time I am breaking the nuts loose, they started preaching their women's lib propaganda at me while insulting me for being a man. When I got to the last lug nut, I told them I was done taking their insults and that they were on their own. I left them with one tight lug nut and those parting words. And my parting words to you are, "Itsdone, I am done."

kl.gif

Back