Any wood is good for smoking.. as long as its Cherry.

BBQchef33

Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Batch Image
Reaction score
idea?

A Tree.. something that can live on for many years.. Planted somewhere in KC.. a Cherry tree of course and we will supply it.

Maybe at KC's house if Jean will let us, or at his moms, or on/near his property. Or even someplace public where other can see it with a plaque.. KCBS headquarters have a piece of Grass nearby? Any ideas??

Lets Discuss.

You might talk to the local Parks Department. We allow people to donate trees for various reasons here. They can basically buy the tree and we'll plant it. The department, of course, has veto power over location and type of tree, but we're usually pretty reasonable. If they're willing to maintain it properly after planting, that might be an idea.

BBQchef33 said:
idea?

A Tree.. something that can live on for many years.. Planted somewhere in KC.. a Cherry tree of course and we will supply it.

Maybe at KC's house if Jean will let us, or at his moms, or on/near his property. Or even someplace public where other can see it with a plaque.. KCBS headquarters have a piece of Grass nearby? Any ideas??

Lets Discuss.

How about the cemetery where he will be interred? Jean could move eventually. KCBS... Ummm... not what you'd expect and I don't recall grass!

Actually, thats a good chance too...

but somewhere in KC is where im thinkin for him.

i like the park or cemetary idea.. keep em coming..

An arboretum would be good too. We have a beautiful one here that is very well maintained, donated on land once owned by the Morton family (salt)

Fruit trees need pruning, and an arboretum would take care of it.

We are considering having the Mid-West Bash in Columbia since this will be Greg's last year Belly Bro and Belly Bro II have some nice property where we are planning to have it each year. Maybe they would like to plant one so that he would always be represented at the Bash.

Just a thought.

Spice

FWIW:
From the KCMO Parks Dept. Website:
Tree planting
Working with limited funds, we actively pursue tree planting funds through various grant programs and work closely with the Kessler Society to provide low-cost trees for citizens interested in planting trees in city right-of-ways. Although funds may not be available for your council district, our staff will be happy to place your name on a waiting list should funds become available for your request. We also can issue a tree planting permit to citizens interested in planting a tree themselves.

The contact person is a Ms Brooks at 816-513-7586. I tried to call, but got her voicemail. It appears that the dept. would not object, though.

There'll be a tree planted in NY in KC's honor. One in KC would be proper, but maybe Brethren around the country can plant them, too....

Backyardchef....Thats an awesome idea.

VitaminQ. If you dont mind running point and following up on your parks dept contact, The Brethren funds will supply the $$ for the tree, and I'm sure we can supply the backs for the labor at a planting ceremony.

I had a cherry tree at my old house and will now plant one at my new house in memory of Scott. I encourage others of you to do the same if you can. The red cherries will remind me that he was also a fellow Chiefs fan.

Cherry tree is an awesome idea. I'll plant one at home as well.

I'll try to find one before the bash here so we can plant it together. Actually two_One at my place and one at my lot.

I gotta say, you guys are awesome. What a fine tribute to Scott. Again I gotta say how humbled and proud I am to be a part of this forum. What a great idea.

I saved the pits from the cherries I ate this season, but must admit, it's tough getting anything to grow in my yard. There is only an inch or two of soil on top of a rock shelf, which everything bakes during the summer. I will certainly try to get some of them to grow and if they do, there will be a cherry tree in my front yard.

I'll plant one at my house in a few weeks. We are planning a Fall Session and BeerGuy and I will have a small ceremony and take a pic to post. I'll see if I can get a small brass plaque made up in the mean time.

There is a nice arboretum just north of Drexel called Powell Gardens. They have events all year, Monarch Butterflies, etc. I would think they would be happy to have a fruit tree there in his honor. I can call, or visit and check it out if you like, 15 minutes from my house.

you got point on that dustin.. Go for it.. great idea.. We will cover the cost of the tree.

on our way to services...

a few toasts last night to KC..

me greg, bigdog, hoededo,jeff_in_kc, and jorge are all here.. JT is on his way... We are off for the last goodbye and then heading to blue springs, followed by columbia.

Back