Insuk's Kalbi Recipe

THoey1963

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Sorry, we promised at the Bash that we would sit down and work out an estimated recipe for Insuk's Kalbi Ribs, but we have been a little busy getting everything ready for her to go home on vacation. I wanted to make sure to post it before she left, so I sat her down this morning and we figured it out.

Please realize, she does NOT measure anything when she cooks, so these are estimates. Before you add the meat, dab your finger in and try the marinade. Tweak the recipe until it works for you.

Insuk's Kalbi Ribs

5# Beef Short Ribs, cut Kalbi or Flanken style, thin cut

Marinade:

Half yellow onion
Whole head of peeled garlic
1 bunch scallion onions cleaned and trimmed
2 cups Soy Sauce
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup corn syrup (add more if you like it sweeter)
1 TBS Black Pepper
1 TBS Instant Coffee
1 Kiwi
1/4 cup Soju or your favorite liquor
1 TBS Sesame Seed Oil (optional)
1 TSP Accent (optional)

1. Soak beef in water for about 30 minutes, changing out the water two times, making sure to feel for and remove any loose bone chips, and then drain well.

2. Puree onion, garlic, and scallions in a food processor and move to large mixing bowl. Add Soy Sauce, sugar, corn syrup, pepper, and coffee to the bowl.

3. Peel the Kiwi and grate it into a cheesecloth lined bowl. Wrap up the grated kiwi in the cloth and then squeeze all the juice out into the large mixing bowl with the other ingredients. You do this to keep the little seeds from getting into the marinade.

4. Add liquor, sesame seed oil and Accent if using, and mix together.

5. Add the drained meat, gently mix to coat all pieces, put into gallon sized ZipLoc bags, and seal. Place in fridge overnight, massaging the bag several times to make sure that everything is coated well. The next day, she usually freezes the bag, saying this helps tenderize the meat.

6. Thaw in the fridge the day before grilling. Grill high heat, direct, until they get brown and shiny, with a little char on both sides. Be careful, they can burn easily with all the sugar, so keep them moving. As she's grilling them, she will dip the ribs back into the marinade in the bowl, and then back onto the grill.

Attachments

• Insuks Kalbi 1.jpg
    Insuks Kalbi 1.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 109
  • Insuks Kalbi 2.jpg
    Insuks Kalbi 2.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 108
  • Insuks Kalbi 3.jpg
    Insuks Kalbi 3.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 109
  • Insuks Kalbi 4.jpg
    Insuks Kalbi 4.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 108
  • Insuks Kalbi 5.jpg
    Insuks Kalbi 5.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 108
  • Insuks Kalbi 6.jpg
    Insuks Kalbi 6.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 107
  • Insuks Kalbi 7.jpg
    Insuks Kalbi 7.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 106
  • Insuks Kalbi 8.jpg
    Insuks Kalbi 8.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 106
  • Insuks Kalbi 9.jpg
    Insuks Kalbi 9.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 106
  • Insuks Kalbi 10.jpg
    Insuks Kalbi 10.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Thanks for posting the recipe. I'm gonna try them but I'm gonna have to be schooled on how to cut them.

EDIT: Added more pictures to create kind of a visual aide.

Thanks for posting the recipe. I'm gonna try them but I'm gonna have to be schooled on how to cut them.

If you mean getting them cut flanken or Kalbi style, you have your butcher do that. If you mean cutting them to serve, I just do it between the bones...

Those ribs she cooked at the bash were the best. Thanks for the recipe!

If you can get them flanken style, you won’t have to. Super King here in So Cal sells them that way.

Vodka is a good substitute for soju if you don’t have a Korean grocery nearby, I’m guessing gin would also do. Both will normally have a little higher alcohol content.

Bookmarking this one to try for sure.

Can't wait to try these at the house.

Many thanks for the recipe and the Pr0n!

Kudos to the Master!

Going to bump this one time for any late comers, then I'll let it fade off. I tried to put it in my signature, but reaching the character limit.

Back