Flat Iron Steak

T

The Pickled Pig

I had been wanting to try this elusive cut of beef after reading about it here.I finally found 4 of them packaged at Whole Foods for $3.49/lb. so I purchased all four of them. They were only 1/2" thick so I didn't have much to work with.

I grilled two of the steaks, one seasoned with Dizzy Pigs Cow Lick seasoning and the other with EVOO, salt and pepper. Click on any of the pics to enlarge.

The steaks were incredibly tender, almost like a good fillet. However, the taste was not my favorite. It was similar to a sirloin or a skirt steak. I am a bit disappointed because my expectations were so high due to all of the hype. I would still prefer fillet, ribeye, Porterhouse, T-Bone, and even a strip before the Flat Iron steak. I would rank it higher than sirloin though because of the tenderness.

I used two of the steaks for fajitas. And that was a perfect use for this cut of beef. I would highly recommend Flat Irons for fajita meat but not for steak.

Those cuts look a lot wider than the ones I see around here, more like filet size. I love them, nice and tender. Did one the other night on the Egg with Cowlick, gotta make a sandwich out of some now! Give them another shot Paul!
100_2135.jpg

I like Flatirons, and I think they present good value vis a vis other pricey cuts, even if they are glorified chuck.

The last flatiron I had was wagyu, and it was .... incredible.

I have one defrosting now for dinner tomorrow. Not sure what I'm going to do with it yet.

Check your taste buds. I highly disagree. But then everybodies taste buds could be different.

Flat-irons are my new favorite steak. I just do them on the gas grill with sea salt and fresh ground pepper to a nice medium rare and pound em down...

I finally grilled 3 flat irons the other evening. They were really good. Had good flavor and were very tender.

I think that I have now made the switch from Top Sirloins to Flat Irons.

The steaks were incredibly tender, almost like a good fillet. However, the taste was not my favorite. It was similar to a sirloin or a skirt steak

Now I've gotta find one of these. I love the flavor of sirloin, a tender sirloin would be king in my house.

Now I've gotta find one of these. I love the flavor of sirloin, a tender sirloin would be king in my house.

Kroger is the only place in the DFW area that I have found that carries them. Not even Sams or Costco.

i only use flat iron steak for fajitas, cheese steaks, and like chili. we can get choice flat iron here and for me it tastes just like a sirloin steak...not any better...

Back