MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-19-2017, 08:41 AM   #16
BillATL
Full Fledged Farker

Not meaning to thread-jack but I'm surprised to see so many making smoked mac-n-cheese with a bechamel sauce. Growing up in the deep south I didn't know what bechamel sauce was - mac-n-cheese was made custard style and that's how I make mine when I"m smoking it.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/fn-dish/r...n-home-comfort
BillATL is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 10-19-2017, 09:59 AM   #17
TravelingJ
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Justin

Thanks everyone! Some really good tips in here. I have been grating my own cheese, for the record. That was one of the first things that was suggested to me, so I switched that over pretty quickly.

i think I'm going to try some of the stovetop deals, and maybe even that sodium citrate stuff, for something different.
TravelingJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-19-2017, 10:29 AM   #18
KevinJ
somebody shut me the fark up.

My wife makes the Mac n Cheese, I just smoke it, I know she adds some Gouda in, it comes out awesome. I enjoy it as much as whatever else, I'm smoking on that day.

KevinJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-19-2017, 03:14 PM   #19
Victory
On the road to being a farker

dumping in a bunch of velvetta usually does the trick for me
Victory is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-19-2017, 03:14 PM   #20
Cook
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jay

I'm on the opposite side of the coin from most of you guys. I don't like creamy, pot stirred mac & cheese. I like the baked, egg custard type. It's drier & you cut it with your fork. It's what I call "real" mac & cheese since that's what all the grandma-types made out in the country where I grew up.

My wife also happens to like the baked type...and that's how they make it where she's from in the Caribbean. They call it macaroni pie.

Old 10-19-2017, 04:24 PM   #21
EdF
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeperofsecrets View Post
This is a deviation from the traditional bechemel approach but it makes a superb mac and cheese:
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2...ac-cheese.html
This is a stovetop recipe, but if you must make baked, just dump the finished recipe on a baking dish then toss panko and butter together and spread on top. Bake at 350 until the top is browned.
I was going to suggest this one too. Cast iron on the grill might work!

And their helpers.
EdF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-19-2017, 07:53 PM   #22
Blythewood BBQ'er
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook View Post
I'm on the opposite side of the coin from most of you guys. I don't like creamy, pot stirred mac & cheese. I like the baked, egg custard type. It's drier & you cut it with your fork. It's what I call "real" mac & cheese since that's what all the grandma-types made out in the country where I grew up.

My wife also happens to like the baked type...and that's how they make it where she's from in the Caribbean. They call it macaroni pie.
Same here Cook! I love the casserole type and that is what I make. BUT I've never met a mac n cheese I didn't like!
BUBBA GRILLS 250r, CharGriller Akorn, 1.5 uds, 28in Blackstone, Blackstone Tailgater, Weber Mastertouch Slate Blue, Weber Copper Performer Premium, Weber 26er, Weber Jumbo Joe, and a set of Octoforks!

GOOD FOOD GOOD TIMES AND GOOD FRIENDS CAN BE FOUND HERE!! THE BBQ BRETHREN BASHES!
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8
Blythewood BBQ'er is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-19-2017, 08:18 PM   #23
Evil-g
is Blowin Smoke!

Mac n Cheese for me is easy, I use Patti Labelles recipe and throw it in the smoker. I believe if it doesn't have Velveeta Cheese it ain't Mac n Cheese.

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/m...d72f311a850f43
Backyard Grill 26 inch
Pit Barrel Cooker
Evil-g is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-19-2017, 08:52 PM   #24
LYU370

How do you keep it creamy? I've made some & taken it to work a few times, but without fail once it starts cooling off a bit, forget it. I've tried a number of recipes, but have since stopped bringing it in.

I assume I probably need to get a chafer or something to keep it extra hot?

FEC100 - Big Joe - Weber Spirit II Gasser

Are you ready for a THROWDOWN?!?!? Join us, It's a BLAST!!

Join us for the Inaugural 2024 South East Bash - May 2024 Tennessee - Sign Up Link

Last edited by LYU370; 10-19-2017 at 09:12 PM..
LYU370 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-19-2017, 09:56 PM   #25
smoke ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelingJ View Post
Well, on the one in my picture I was real careful to stop cooking the sauce as soon as all the cheeses were melted. I also was very conscious of stirring it so that nothing ever stuck to the bottom of the pot. When I put it in the pan, there was an insane amount of sauce, and it was almost like mac and cheese soup. My sister-in-law blamed overcooking/sticking to the pot on her issues last week, so I was trying to avoid that on mine.

You do make a good point about skipping the baking. I just wanted to pull off a 'smoked mac' but, a good mac trumps a split smoked one, I guess.
I think the best way to add smoke to mac and cheese is from cold smoked cheese melted in. Now im not a fan of smoked cheese so that's all moot for me.

Ive seen creamy casserole style. Just plan ahead dont reduce the white sauce under cook noodles ect. Some, as stated, dont even use a sauce base. Its all personal preference, from sauce to egg. Stovetop or baked. Mix ins, toppings, cheese blends...milk, cream...noodle type. Mac and cheese is an artform indeed.

A few notes from my failures.

Blend cheese grated from blocks. Mild cheddar melts better than sharp. Some cheeses melt better than others, 50/50 mild cheddar pepper jack w/a dollop of cream cheese is a good start.

Dont let the sauce boil. I like 1:1 flour fat, tbs each per 1 cup of dairy. Melt cheese in slowly.

Add on mix ins and noodles til warmed. If you want crispy topping place in casserole dish or individual containers top and put in the broiler.

Old 10-19-2017, 11:31 PM   #26
olddawg
On the road to being a farker

might want to make sure you have your rue where the flour is cooked and lumps out of it once you add the milk or cream I use a slotted spatula to stir the sauce before adding cheese to get the lumps out as it thickens also may try touch more milk or cream might help

Last edited by olddawg; 10-19-2017 at 11:32 PM.. Reason: cause my typing sucks
olddawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-20-2017, 10:12 AM   #27
legendaryhog
is One Chatty Farker

My three things: 1. don't use pre-grated cheese, grate your own. Pre-grated has starch on it (which a little is actually good for melting) but it also has some weird anti-caking agents that make it tend to break. 2. Evaporated milk. 3. Little bit of corn starch.

Google a recipe that has evaporated milk and you will end up with what you are looking for.

some say he's dead...some say he never will be.
legendaryhog is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-20-2017, 12:31 PM   #28
SmokinJohn
Babbling Farker

In the top photo, the cheese looks like it has been overheated, and has broken down.
It won't stick to the mac.

In the bottom photo, it looks like you have either added egg to your mix, the roux was not fully cooked, and has clumped up, or you have some other additive in the mix.

Tell me about the cheese(s) you are using. Are they block? Grated?
What is the cheese to mac ratio?
Are you using a roux/bechamel sauce to bind the cheese? What are those ratios?
What liquid are you using? Whole/Skim/Non-Fat? How much?

Old 10-20-2017, 12:37 PM   #29
Evil-g
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendaryhog View Post
My three things: 1. don't use pre-grated cheese, grate your own. Pre-grated has starch on it (which a little is actually good for melting) but it also has some weird anti-caking agents that make it tend to break. 2. Evaporated milk. 3. Little bit of corn starch.

Google a recipe that has evaporated milk and you will end up with what you are looking for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJohn View Post
In the top photo, the cheese looks like it has been overheated, and has broken down.
It won't stick to the mac.

In the bottom photo, it looks like you have either added egg to your mix, the roux was not fully cooked, and has clumped up, or you have some other additive in the mix.

Tell me about the cheese(s) you are using. Are they block? Grated?
What is the cheese to mac ratio?
Are you using a roux/bechamel sauce to bind the cheese? What are those ratios?
What liquid are you using? Whole/Skim/Non-Fat? How much?
This is getting technical now, I’ll just lay back and learn. I’ve had Smokin John’s
Mac n Cheese and I’d say he’s whisperer.
Backyard Grill 26 inch
Pit Barrel Cooker
Evil-g is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-20-2017, 12:59 PM   #30
SmokinJohn
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdF View Post
I was going to suggest this one too. Cast iron on the grill might work!
I've tried that recipe (was testing a cold cheese dip recipe), minus the American Cheese (hamburgers, yes. mac and cheese, no). It is creamy, but if you aren't careful, the milk/egg mix can become scrambled eggs.

I saw a similar recipe just using cornstarch and evaporated milk. It too is creamy, but it was a little too creamy for my tastes.