Not Q, but finally got a Cast Iron Skillet

THoey1963

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I've wanted a cast iron skillet for a long time. I always remember my Mom using one almost daily to cook something in. I'd heard that the new pans weren't as good as the old, and I never found a good deal on a used one. Some time last year, I saw a Kickstarter for a Stargazer cast iron plan, liked what I read (I think), so I ordered one, and promptly forgot about it.

Got an email last week that my pan was shipping and got it this week. It came unseasoned, but they threw in a "Crisbee" to season it with since it had taken a long time.

On round three of the seasoning now, but here's some pictures after round two:

IMG_0542_zpszlj9xkft.jpg

IMG_0543_zpssgrcv8y8.jpg

My plan is that this will be used on the stove top, oven, and the grill. Now I just need to think of something to cook in it first.

Links in case anyone is interested:

http://www.stargazercastiron.com/
http://www.crisbee.org/

Thanks. Yeah NC, a lot of the cheaper new pans had this marbled or pebbled feeling to the bottom of them. I like how smooth this is.

Darn, I was happy with what I had until now. I guess there is never going to be an end to my obsession with new cooking toys.

Love that one...I've been waiting to buy and now I think I'll get one of those. Site says late September or early October.

cast iron

I have 3 cast iron toys that get a lot of use.
Check out MikeMci recipe for biscuits. They fit perfectly in my 10 inch
Lodge cheapo. Best biscuits i have ever made.

That's beautiful. Congratulations

Thanks for the info..I'm looking into ordering the Crisbee product..I just want to enhance what seasoning I now have on my CI collection.

I am a cast iron nut as well. Love them old Griswolds and have quite a few. Recently restored the one my mom used when cooking for me and my brothers. It had gotten rusty - electrolysis tank and reseasoned. Love that thing. Super smooth cooking surface.
Having said all that, that StarGazer is sweet ! Congrats on that !

Nice skillet Terry. You are going to love it.

I have 3 skillets and 2 Dutch ovens. We use some of them everyday.

I have dozens of CI cookware.I love the smooth finish on that one.Good Score!!

Cast iron is great. I have one that I seem to be perpetually trying to get to stay seasoned, but it never quite works.. That said, I use that skillet almost every time I cook a meal. My girlfriend bought it for me just over a year ago, so I could try my hand a home-made fried chicken. Still haven't managed to try that, but I use it for everything else!

I have a #6 #8 and #10 Griswold and love them. That pan you have looks awesome too. Somebody early posted to check out MikeMci recipe for biscuits. I can't find it. Can anyone help finding it?

Cast iron is great. I have one that I seem to be perpetually trying to get to stay seasoned, but it never quite works.. That said, I use that skillet almost every time I cook a meal. My girlfriend bought it for me just over a year ago, so I could try my hand a home-made fried chicken. Still haven't managed to try that, but I use it for everything else!

if you don't mind me asking...how do you try to keep it seasoned?

The benefit of vintage cast iron is the smooth cooking surface. Some places are still doing this. Your recent purchase (congrats!) and others. Here's one that looks good too:

https://smitheyironware.com

Great, because of your post, I now have a #12 Smithey on the way. How am I going to explain this???

Back