MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-18-2015, 11:34 PM   #1
Smoke on Badger Mountain
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Josh
Default Pig in a beef blanket (pics)

Thought I would try a little something different last night. Being a west coaster I love some good tri-tip. Not as mush as I love brisket, but it's up there. But I wanted to mix it up a little bit. I really like to have the smoke flavor in in the meat its self so I don't really like to wrap it with anything. But what isn't made better by bacon? I started with an untrimmed tri-tip, butterflied it, added some homemade bacon, tied it back up and rubbed it with some Montreal. Cooked it indirect on the 22" weber with mesquite lump and a few chunks of hickory for a couple of hours. I was not sure how it was going to come out. But it had the same great hickory flavor as usual with an underlying bacony goodness.

And here is what she looked like.

tt1.jpg

tt2.jpg

tt3.jpg

tt4.jpg

tt5.jpg

tt6.jpg

tt7.jpg

tt8.jpg

tt9.jpg

Thanks for looking.

24"x52" Custom Offset, Black 22" Weber Kettle , Deep Ocean Blue 22' Weber Kettle, Camp Chef 2 burner w/ griddle. Char-Broil Table Top gas Grill, One very ugly drum, Nice drum coming soon.
Instagram @lumberjacksmokestack
https://www.youtube.com/c/LumberjackSmokestack
Smoke on Badger Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 08-19-2015, 12:23 AM   #2
ShadowDriver
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Marc

That looks really tasty!

Great job!

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-19-2015, 03:10 AM   #3
Titch

Name/Nickname : Titch :-)

Love it, must have tasted nice

Old 08-19-2015, 03:36 AM   #4
cheez59
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Man that looks good. Yet another of those great looking cuts that are non existent in this part of the country.
Lone Star Grillz mini insulated cabinet.Lonestar Grillz 20x42 offset. Broil King Baron Gasser, Vortex and Slow & Sear Plus, Weber 26" Original Premium, Weber Smoky Joe, Cajun Fryer 8-1/2 & 4 Gallon, The Big Easy oil-less fryer, BBQ Guru CyberQ Cloud, BBQ Guru DigiQ DX2, Thermoworks Smoke, Maverick XR-50
cheez59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2015, 06:25 AM   #5
COS
is one Smokin' Farker

That looks good. I like tri-tip. I think maybe I should smoke it the whole time instead of finishing of with searing.
COS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2015, 08:18 AM   #6
Smoke on Badger Mountain
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez59 View Post
Man that looks good. Yet another of those great looking cuts that are non existent in this part of the country.
A buddy of mine moved to Winter Garden Florida a couple of years ago. Being from CA we really missed being able to get some tri-tip. He found a local butcher that said he could do anything. Se he went into the shop and told him what it was (with photos) and for over a year now he has been getting some very nice cuts of tri-tip and making his friends wonder what the heck it is.

I bet you could get a butcher in GA to do the same

24"x52" Custom Offset, Black 22" Weber Kettle , Deep Ocean Blue 22' Weber Kettle, Camp Chef 2 burner w/ griddle. Char-Broil Table Top gas Grill, One very ugly drum, Nice drum coming soon.

Last edited by Smoke on Badger Mountain; 08-19-2015 at 08:23 AM.. Reason: added to

Old 08-19-2015, 08:24 AM   #7
thaifighter06
On the road to being a farker

What was the thought here? Don't get me wrong, it looks incredible and I will most likely try it very soon. I usually cook tri-tip (as I did yesterday) to medium rarish. This looks more like a brisket. Any more details would be great!

Old 08-19-2015, 09:01 AM   #8
Smoke on Badger Mountain
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaifighter06 View Post
What was the thought here? Don't get me wrong, it looks incredible and I will most likely try it very soon. I usually cook tri-tip (as I did yesterday) to medium rarish. This looks more like a brisket. Any more details would be great!
The thought was just to do something different. No great light bulb moment or anything like that. I had the tri-tip and some small pieces of the bacon that i didn't seal. I have wrapped it in bacon before, but most of the smoke flavor ends up in the bacon and usually the bacon falls off when you cut it or on the plate. And I wanted the smoke in the beef so.... And there you have it. The heat in the kettle was pretty low and I pulled it at 145* IT in the thickest part, let it rest 30min then sliced it. If it were a brisket I would have cooked it much longer and pulled it when probe tender, probably around 200*. The tri-tip still had very much a steak thype texture. Hope that is what you were looking for.

Old 08-19-2015, 09:23 AM   #9
Shagdog
Quintessential Chatty Farker

So you put raw bacon in the middle and cooked it to 145? I can't imagine that the bacon texture was very good in there? I would think anything that is only going to be cooked to medium rare should only be stuffed with ingredients that benefit from being cooked to a lower temp than the meat around it (or stuffed with precooked ingredients). Maybe try cooked bacon in the middle next time? Or was it cooked before you stuffed it?

Come Join the fun in the Throwdowns!

Shirley Fabrication 24x70 Trailer - UDS - Weber Kettle - WGA - Fire Pit Rotisserie - Shirley-Shagstone Griddle/Wok Cart - Carson Rodizio

2016 Official BBQ Brethren Ribeye Master

Shagdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2015, 09:26 AM   #10
shypes
Knows what a fatty is.

Way to go, that looks great!
shypes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2015, 09:35 AM   #11
Smoke on Badger Mountain
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagdog View Post
So you put raw bacon in the middle and cooked it to 145? I can't imagine that the bacon texture was very good in there? I would think anything that is only going to be cooked to medium rare should only be stuffed with ingredients that benefit from being cooked to a lower temp than the meat around it (or stuffed with precooked ingredients). Maybe try cooked bacon in the middle next time? Or was it cooked before you stuffed it?
Heated to near done then placed inside. I know it looks very light in the pics. I know I would probably not like the texture of the bacon in the final product. Just added for the flavor. And this is how it turned out.

Last edited by Smoke on Badger Mountain; 08-19-2015 at 09:38 AM.. Reason: added text

Old 08-19-2015, 11:23 AM   #12
cowgirl

Name/Nickname : jeanie

Looks great Josh! Bet that bacon added a nice flavor. Will give this a try if I can find tri tips here. Sometimes they are in stock and sometimes I have to get the butcher to save them for me.
Thanks for the post!

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2015, 03:42 PM   #13
jermoQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy
Default Cool idea

That sounds good!
jermoQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags