Frozen Brisket

I'd cook it and not give it a second thought, unless it smells off when you thaw it.

My mom grew up during the depression, and considered a refrigerator to be a time machine - as long as it was in the refrigerator, it was good indefinitely. Whenever we found something expired and wanted to throw it away, she'd fuss and say "But it's been in the refrigerator!". We had to sneak things out and throw them away when she wasn't paying attention.

It was especially hilarious when we realized that dark looking thousand island dressing she gave my brother one holiday had expired four years ago. He was okay.

Now with a good chest freezer, I believe you might be able to actually travel backwards in time ..... that brisket might have turned into a calf.

Eat it, as long as it's not freezer burnt and smells ok when thawed. Heck we had some cryo waygu burger patties that were like 5 years old setting in frost free upright and they were some of the best burgers ever.

I've always gone with a 6 month freezer rule. Not saying that's a good thing but just what I roll with.

Not a brisket but I had a 2 plus year butt saran wrapped, no freezer burn. My step son said was the best I ever made.

Eat it, as long as it's not freezer burnt and smells ok when thawed. Heck we had some cryo waygu burger patties that were like 5 years old setting in frost free upright and they were some of the best burgers ever.

Not a brisket but I had a 2 plus year butt saran wrapped, no freezer burn. My step son said was the best I ever made.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but why is freezer burn bad?

Freezer burning gives an off taste. Only 3 years old???? Like others said, smell test when unwrapped and assuming it passes that, cook it and not even worry. Assuming you have had no power/freezer issues with total un-thawing.

I often forget about things in the freezer, and unless it's really old or looks bad, I try it. Can't believe anyone would say 6 months....hardly worth having a freezer for that limited rule.

I wouldn't even hesitate to cook it. I am of the opinion the stuff keeps forever in the freezer. It may not be primo quality, due to freezer burn and such. But I've eaten way older briskets in my time.

Back