• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Hunsaker, Gateway, PBC, BHC or ...

Those smokers look pretty good. I'm a bit surprised I haven't heard more about them though, Hunsaker and Gateway have better market penetration with resellers.

Sort of like the Riptangle though, I have seen that one before in a couple of online threads.

He competes in the local circuit and does pretty well. I’ll say the shape is certainty a better use of capacity.

I made mine so I haven't invested in a brand...yet. If I was going to choose, I like Gateway best because they have the 30 gallon or 55 gallon options. I like their design and ability to cook from 200 to 600 degrees. An all around cooker. The other brands are good too. and there are some that are designed similar to the Gateway that roll like a Hunsaker. Any way you go, I dont think if you choose to spend the $900, you will be making a bad investment.

don't overlook the Oklahoma joe Bronco drum smoker , I picked 4 of them up for $125 each ( 1 was for a friend and 3 for me ) great smokers , great price and slightly more capacity than the pbc I believe …..

The most common reason I see from people who get the PBC and then don't like it, are people that enjoy tinkering, or like to manage the fire and temps very closely. They get frustrated because there aren't a lot of tweaking options during the cook as with some of the pricier barrels?

I personally don't care if my ribs are cooking at 265 this weekend and 295 next weekend, just cook 'em til they're done and then enjoy them. But if you are one to monitor your temps, and want it at 275 gosh darnit no matter what the other conditions, then the PBC might not be for you.

The most common reason I see from people who get the PBC and then don't like it, are people that enjoy tinkering, or like to manage the fire and temps very closely. They get frustrated because there aren't a lot of tweaking options during the cook as with some of the pricier barrels?

I personally don't care if my ribs are cooking at 265 this weekend and 295 next weekend, just cook 'em til they're done and then enjoy them. But if you are one to monitor your temps, and want it at 275 gosh darnit no matter what the other conditions, then the PBC might not be for you.

Like you, I don't obsess over small temperature fluctuations. Spikes yes, minor variances, no.

I'm always shocked at the great quality of food coming off of my PBC for a $300 cooker, and it is possible to "Tweak" temps by cracking the lid, facing your air intake into the wind, removing rebar for more airflow, etc. I actually gave a PBC to a friend because they are so easy to use.

That being said, I would really like to pick up a Hunsaker for the added capacity and capabilities. They are really different cookers at different price points.

I'm always shocked at the great quality of food coming off of my PBC for a $300 cooker, and it is possible to "Tweak" temps by cracking the lid, facing your air intake into the wind, removing rebar for more airflow, etc. I actually gave a PBC to a friend because they are so easy to use.

That being said, I would really like to pick up a Hunsaker for the added capacity and capabilities. They are really different cookers at different price points.

Gosh, you have an array of smokers/grills like I do. It is a disease for sure, but a fun disease. I had a PBC and absolutely loved it but the Hunsaker is so much more capable in my opinion, although at a completely different price point.

I bought into the Hunsaker craze, and recently bought two of them.

I had two good days with them: the day I bought them, and the day I got rid of them.

They leaked grease everywhere, and did not hold steady temps. I literally HATED them.

Max Goode at AmazingRibs.com thoroughly reviewed them, and came to the same conclusion as I did: they have temp control problems.

I'm so glad someone took them off my hands for close to the price I paid for them. They are over-engineered cookers that don't hold a candle to my Pit Barrel Cookers.

Wow! My experience is polar opposite! As I mentioned above, I only get grease leakage on my pork drum, and it is minimal, and all 4 of my drums hold temp rock solid. I find myself looking at them during a competition and thinking “why do I bother?” The temp doesn’t vary.

Edit: I looked at Max Good’s review and he gave the Hunsaker drum a Gold Star.

https://amazingribs.com/smoker/hunsaker-vortex-smoker-review

His only mention of grease dripping is “ Hunsaker warns, "Smoking can be messy. We suggest you place a large, shallow drip pan under the smoker to catch any grease." Good advice as we quickly discovered.”

Did I miss something?

Last edited:
Wow! My experience is polar opposite! As I mentioned above, I only get grease leakage on my pork drum, and it is minimal, and all 4 of my drums hold temp rock solid. I find myself looking at them during a competition and thinking “why do I bother?” The temp doesn’t vary.

OK, cool.

Last edited:
Oh, I wasn’t tripping. I was getting out of the way. Some of the best cooks on this forum use, and love Hunsakers. I suspect someone who says they have the problems you do, is either:

1. Not familiar with the correct way to use them
2. Trolling

OK. #1 is a fair point.

Last edited:
Back