MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-14-2017, 11:47 AM   #1
Solidstone
Found some matches.

Default Trying to Reconstruct a Family Sauce

I am typically a salt and pepper guy when it comes to my Q. I am not a fan of layering 45 different flavors on BBQ.

However my grandfather was recalling a sauce from his youth and I would like to try and duplicate it. The sauce was for Chicken and was my Great grandfathers recipe from Georgia.

As my Great grandfather tells it, the sauce was sweet and spicy, but so good that you couldn't stop eating even if your lips and tongue were burning. He used to make it in 2 Gallon batches and cook half chickens over a large pit using an old mattress spring frame. mopping the sauce over the cook.

I have been trying to compile a list of ingredients, but I am not super familiar with Georgia traditions. So far I am sitting with the following and would welcome advice on additional things to try.

Ketchup
Tabasco
Molasses
Honey
Apple Cider vinegar
Peppers (not sure what would work best)
Brown sugar?

My grandfather has had a hard time recalling all of the ingredients and I am not very confident in my list. Welcome the help!
Solidstone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-14-2017, 12:17 PM   #2
SwineGuy
Full Fledged Farker

Was it definitely ketchup based? There are a lot of mustard based sauces in Georgia. I did see a Georgia sweet and spicy BBQ sauce that used white vinegar, S&P, sugar, red pepper, mustard powder, butter and tomato paste. It is red, but you have the mustard powder also.
Good luck on your search. The internet is a wonderful resource!

Old 09-14-2017, 01:19 PM   #3
Solidstone
Found some matches.

Hmm, didn't realize that I will have to consider adding some to the mix. I know it was a red sauce, but cannot confirm for sure it was ketchup based.

I live on the gulf coast of Texas so I may be coloring it with what I know.
Solidstone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-14-2017, 07:40 PM   #4
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Here's a chicken mop sauce from NE Georgia. No ketchup, but maybe you could add some

http://agr.georgia.gov/traditional-n...mop-sauce.aspx
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-14-2017, 07:49 PM   #5
Coat
is one Smokin' Farker

Does he remember the color?

Old 09-14-2017, 10:44 PM   #6
Free Mr. Tony
is One Chatty Farker

I was going through my mother's ooooold recipe box recently. When I saw Georgia in your post I thought of this. Looks to have no heat to it, but may be a base to start with and see where it takes you.

Free Mr. Tony is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->