MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-24-2015, 06:10 PM   #1
bennyk
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Default The best chicken I've ever had

Hey y'all, it's been a while since I last posted. Work and family are keeping me very very busy. I just had to pop on here and give the status on my new masterbuilt smoker (it does so much more than that old bullet ever did) and let you know about the great chicken it turned out a couple of weeks ago.

First of all, prior to these two sublime birds the best chicken I've ever had comes from an African chain of chicken restaurants called Nando's. Juicy, tender, perfectly spiced birds slow smoked and sold in paper sacks with the best hot peri peri sauce. This recipe is just a bit better. I found it on foodandwine.com. Here is the link:

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/l...moked-chickens

I think the juiciness and flavor is partly due to the brining you do overnight prior to smoking the meat. The rub just about emptied my spice cabinet. Lots of ingredients but they blend really well. I brushed the butterflied half chickens with olive oil (you're smoking at 250 so no worries about burning the oil) and left them skin down for the first hour. Turned over for another two hours and served with peri peri sauce. So very good.

What's the best chicken you've had?
bennyk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2015, 06:45 PM   #2
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

So hard to say, I have had some amazing chicken out here. For a while, it became all the rage for the chefs in the area to do roasted or fried chicken and they were all amazing.

I do really like my version of Teriyaki chicken I make every New Years

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2015, 06:49 PM   #3
ShadowDriver

Name/Nickname : Marc

Huge fan of Nando's from our years in the UK! We get all giddy when we find some of their Peri-Peri Hot or Extra Hot Sauce (like to put it on hummus, as Nando's does at the restaurant).

The best grilled/smoked chicken (not wings) I've had included the Herbed Barbecue Chicken from this website: http://www.divinedinnerparty.com/bbq...ub-recipe.html.

Quote:
Ingredients:
1/4 C. sugar
2 tbsp. paprika
1 1/2 tbsp. kosher salt
1 tbsp. onion powder
1/2 tbsp. garlic powder
1/2 tbsp. chili powder
2 tsp. lemon pepper
1 tbsp. dry rubbed sage
1/2 tsp. dry basil
1/2 tsp. dry rosemary
1/2 tsp. cayenne
There's just enough sweetness and a little punch of heat, but it works well with some smoke.
[B]Hardware[/B] - Weber 22.5 Kettle (Sep '16), OK Joe Longhorn (Mar '17), UUNI 3 Pizza Oven (Jan '18 ), Blue Rhino Razor Griddle (May '19), Cajun Bandit 22.5 Roti (Aug '20), Weber 26.75 Kettle (Dec '20)
ShadowDriver is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2015, 07:15 PM   #4
Titch

Name/Nickname : Titch :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDriver View Post
Huge fan of Nando's from our years in the UK! We get all giddy when we find some of their Peri-Peri Hot or Extra Hot Sauce (like to put it on hummus, as Nando's does at the restaurant).

The best grilled/smoked chicken (not wings) I've had included the Herbed Barbecue Chicken from this website: http://www.divinedinnerparty.com/bbq...ub-recipe.html.

There's just enough sweetness and a little punch of heat, but it works well with some smoke.
Nandos sauce not readily available there?

Old 09-24-2015, 07:51 PM   #5
Bludawg

Jimmies Buttermilk Chicken Jacksonvile Fl

Last edited by Bludawg; 09-24-2015 at 11:25 PM..
Bludawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2015, 08:26 PM   #6
Kloogee
Full Fledged Farker

I spent about 5 weeks in London about 15 years ago. Nando's was my go to place when I was sick of trying everything else. Their chicken was awesome and they were the only place that gave you more than 2 ice cubes and had refillable sodas!

Every time I go back to London, I make a stop at Nandos!
Kloogee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2015, 04:36 AM   #7
SGH
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyk View Post

The best chicken that i have ever had was soaked in butter milk overnight, then dredged in flour and deep fried at 365 degrees in a filthy black iron pan. I know that its not Q, but it sure is good my friend.

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-25-2015, 06:57 AM   #8
PatAttack

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGH View Post
The best chicken that i have ever had was soaked in butter milk overnight, then dredged in flour and deep fried at 365 degrees in a filthy black iron pan. I know that its not Q, but it sure is good my friend.
Add some hot sauce to the buttermilk brine and you've got mine.

22" WSM
22" Weber Gold
Weber Smoky Joe
Weber Gasser
Rec-Tec 590
PatAttack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2015, 08:07 AM   #9
CakeM1x
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Hey y'all, it's been a while since I last posted. Work and family are keeping me very very busy. I just had to pop on here and give the status on my new masterbuilt smoker (it does so much more than that old bullet ever did) and let you know about the great chicken it turned out a couple of weeks ago.

First of all, prior to these two sublime birds the best chicken I've ever had comes from an African chain of chicken restaurants called Nando's. Juicy, tender, perfectly spiced birds slow smoked and sold in paper sacks with the best hot peri peri sauce. This recipe is just a bit better. I found it on foodandwine.com. Here is the link:

I think the juiciness and flavor is partly due to the brining you do overnight prior to smoking the meat. The rub just about emptied my spice cabinet. Lots of ingredients but they blend really well. I brushed the butterflied half chickens with olive oil (you're smoking at 250 so no worries about burning the oil) and left them skin down for the first hour. Turned over for another two hours and served with peri peri sauce. So very good.

This thread just made me order a bottle of of this nandos peri peri sauce. Will make this recipe when it arrives.
CakeM1x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2015, 02:26 PM   #10
SAFETYHARBORREDNECK
Got Wood.

Everyone always seems to like my Beercan chicken and well,I DO TOO,LOL

Old 09-25-2015, 04:57 PM   #11
smokingkettle
Full Fledged Farker

Babe's Fried Chicken in Roanoke, TX.

Old 09-25-2015, 05:05 PM   #12
buccaneer

Quote:

That is not close to the Nando's restaurants in Australia use, and here is why.
The first step, the use of acids(lemon juice) tightens the proteins in chicken or any poultry. The only way to overcome that is to overcook the chicken until it denatures and becomes soggy.
Nando's chicken here is fresh with a firm clean mouth feel, really good fast food, my favorite. It is carefully grilled and the meat is white and tender but never overcooked. If they brined with acids they would end up with stringy tough chicken .
HTH

The best few hundred chicken dishes I have ever eaten have been in restaurants in Asia.
In Australia, my latest success is always the best!

Old 09-25-2015, 05:08 PM   #13
buccaneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDriver View Post

Nando's is my fave of fast food outlets too. Thanks for the hummus tip!
Gotta try that!

Old 09-25-2015, 05:12 PM   #14
Fwismoker

Honestly (and not trying to boast) but it's what i cook by far. Restaurant maybe Penguin Point fried as the next...it's a small Indiana FF place, try their tenderloin and crinkle cut fries, mmmmmm good

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2015, 05:20 PM   #15
buccaneer

Tags
chicken, juicy, nandos, smoked