High Plains Shenanigans - Beef Ribs & Wampus Beans

ShadowDriver

somebody shut me the fark up.
Name or Nickame
Marc
Well, I'm trying to requalify for my smoker competency card after last weekend's brisket debacle. :tsk:

I like to pick up beef shorties from Albertsons when they're in the manager's special bin... combine the packages, vac-seal and freeze for later.

I broke out a vac-sealed bag and got down to business with some Q-Salt and Atkins.

X3W0iUph.jpg

XlhCMPKh.jpg

The kids hit the sauna with a Fatty made of JD Hot + John Henry's Apple Chipotle.

qTayktlh.jpg

Q-Salt'd Ribs:

Aw068IFh.jpg

Atkins'd Ribs:

WVHW2yfh.jpg

Family begged for a pan of Wampus' Peach Bourbon Beans:

AGcGyF9h.jpg

Now, we're racing the thunderstorms headed our way in a couple of hours.

Thin Blue and Kind Regards,

We all have our bad days Marc, looks like you got mojo back. :thumb:

I keep telling myself I need to make those beans, glad they're part of your cook today.

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM..........what was the Brisket Snafu.?

*grumble* *grouse* - the last time I tried an unwrapped brisket (last weekend)... at least for a while. Probed nicely, but had... very little moisture left at slicing time, even after a 2-3 hour rest. *sigh*.. Enough about that.

Fired up the UUNI and made pizza for lunch - a traditional margherita pizza (sorry, no Pr0n), and this lovely blackberry, ricotta, mozzarella/parmesan, basil (sprinkle) ditty for desert.

WvYgI5Eh.jpg

xwsL0zah.jpg

Ok, that fruity cheese pizza dessert thingie looks LEGIT!

Man, I gotsta try me some of those Wampus peach bourbon beans. I have the recipe, just haven't made them yet. No excuse.

Looking forward to your next post!

...the Pizza looks interesting. Did you sweeten the ricotta at all?

No, we should have. Thinking of trying a nice goat cheese to provide something a little more sharp but creamy and interesting between the blackberries. I think a sweetened (+ vanilla?) ricotta might have gone better with this version.

Here we go - Bit of a deluge outside, but not like Okinawa!

tMDcC62h.jpg

I'm giving these ribs about 45 minutes before I pull them for a rest... The beans are making good headway.

Beautiful shorties, they plumped up nicely :hungry:

Your Uuni mastery got my attention though, I used mine for the first time in awhile last week using store made dough and burned the outside before the center was done :mmph:

Your Uuni mastery got my attention though, I used mine for the first time in awhile last week using store made dough and burned the outside before the center was done :mmph:

Mastery... Pfffft. Nonsense... but I'm sure enjoying learning! Shoot, I just learned that we can successfully make a batch of dough - make 1 (of 3) pies for dinner - put the rest in a wax paper... envelope (for lack of better terminology) in the fridge, and use it for lunch the next day! Win!

This is honestly the best $300 I've spent on something I've never tried. I'll say that having a timer (ThermoWorks Timestick for me) set for 15-20sec and a second peel are KEY.

Meanwhile - all the ribs are resting, and I just pulled the pan of Wampus' Bourbon Peach Beans.

3dpc3ZGh.jpg

Day-um! Wampus sure has a good thing going with these beans. I will admit to dropping the BBQ Sauce and about 1/2 of the brown sugar and the diced bell pepper from the recipe. CINCHOUSE doesn't do cooked pepper very well, and the original was pretty darned sweet. I had a dentist on-call just in-case. You know the drill. :roll: :blah:

Mighty fine cooks! Every now and then brisket likes to remind you that it can be difficult. Nothing to worry about.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Bam! I'm back!

vfMCPijh.jpg

Wow... that Q-Salt! That was the favorite around the dinner table, even with the munchkin.

CINCHOUSE whipped up an amazing broccolini, bacon, apple, dried cherry, and carrot salad to accompany the ribs and beans.

It all looks great, Marc. I keep forgetting about the Wampus beans, but thank goodness for posts like this that mention them on occasion, just enough for me to remember to try them soon. Hope the storms weren't too much of a nuisance.

Back