Frozen Brisket

tcards

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Digging deep in my freezer on the bottom I found a brisket I did not remember having. It is 3 years old. Looks good. Would you spend the time smoking it or should I toss?

Last edited:
It is cryovaced. Just dont want to get sick or spend a whole day smoking for to taste bad.

Use it, 100% it will be ok as long as it never thawed out. My father in law was a meat cutter for 50+ years, my wife was a meat cutter for almost 20. They convinced me to not throw out some frozen pork butts and turkeys i had that were 2-3 years frozen. Came out absolutely perfect.

Cook it. It’s fine as long as it’s still cryo’d.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just cooked up a 4 year old SRF brisket I had in the bottom of the freezer My freezer runs -15 or so. But the brisket tasted great. I believe several gave it the best brisket ever, but none of them had tasted SRF before

Cook it.

Can't remember but I cooked one around that age. It wasn't as flavorful as usual but not bad.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

As far as food safety, I would cook it. If I had an automated "set and forget" type smoker I would cook it. If you cook on an offset/stick burner, I'd wait until I was cooking something else so that you would minimize any wasted time. Ie to thaw, season, trim.......

Has it thawed?
Well, doesn't really matter...I'd toss it...up here to Iowa, I'll be a good guy and take care of it for ya.

I just found some 2019 brisket in my deep freezer a 1 1/2 weeks ago. I put some smoke on it and finished in a hotel pan over a Sam Adams beer and made some mighty fine chili with it. Shared with Family and nobody fell ill.

Back