Fangerman Farms Lamb?

Mikhail

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Just ordered some lamb ribeye and tenderloin from them. Has anyone dealt with them before?

I guess the extra 'n' you put in fooled my search engine... :becky:

These guys have a good selection of domestic lamb, actually I've never seen lamb bacon before. The prices are somewhat on par with my supplier with the exception of burger which is $12 and I can buy it for $6.

What items did you try out? The $15 heads would make some good barbacoa I'll bet.

They make pretty big claims, but we will see. Only other time I saw lamb tenderloin was at Wegman's flagship store in Pittsford NY in 1999. They also had fresh porcini mushrooms and fresh black truffles. Yum.

I've had lamb bacon by a more local producer. It was OK, like duck bacon, but not particularly better than regular bacon. What I like is guanciale, which is gussied up jowl bacon, but essential to Italian pastas.

Yum, lamb bacon.

Give it a try!

Not from Fangerman Farms.

If you can, try to get a lamb tri-tip, a fantastic cut!

Attachments

• 66F1FBC3-90FC-438F-AAAA-F7B8C48B2FD8.jpg
    66F1FBC3-90FC-438F-AAAA-F7B8C48B2FD8.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 162
  • 9E4689CF-BA31-422B-B331-1D1FB4E3CD86.jpg
    9E4689CF-BA31-422B-B331-1D1FB4E3CD86.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 164
Fagerman shipment arrived today well frozen. They sent a real nice freezer bag with it too. Tenderloins look a bit odd but we will see tomorrow night.

I have to admit, I am partial to lamb. My first ribbon at the Royal was back in 1989 and was a blue ribbon in lamb, I used to buy butchered lambs that were cut in half lengthwise splitting the spine. I would finish the butchering myself and I got pretty good at it. I taught myself how to make a crown loin roast. I became proficient at cooking loins, shoulders, legs shanks, loin cuts and ribs, I never did consider cooking the belly meat for bacon, but I did make sausage a few times with the scrap meats. Until reading through Fagerman's web-page, I thought I had consumed most of the edible meat from a lamb.

When I checked the Fagerman web site for their products, I saw some cuts I never would have considered cooking or eating. I have eaten many types of fries/mountain oysters, but never lamb fries. Fagerman's sells them two for $6.00. One would think that they would come in pairs and not an odd number.

The oddest cut of all was this one:

https://www.fagermanfarm.com/store/p11/Lamb_Head.html

The caption beside the photographs reads:

"For the chef who wastes nothing, the foodie looking for an adventurous meal, and any where in-between the head of the lamb is sure to leave an impression at your next meal. Packaged completely intact. Weight is approximately 5lbs."

I have no doubt that if I were to cook a lamb's head and then show it off as a center piece among the food dishes on the serving table, it WOULD make an impression on the guests............

Lager,

Juggy

Cooked the 'lamb ribeye' last night. Tough as shoe leather. if that was a ribeye I will eat my hat. It would have needed to be braised for two or three hours like shank. So I guess I will be having frank and open communications with them about that. Very disappointed.

Will try the tenderloins tomorrow and hoping for better, but going for a refund on the other.

Well the tenderloin is the next door neighbor to the ribeye. I've never cooked a whole tenderloin, just had them in the T-bone version of lamb chops. Waiting for your review on those.

I should have taken pictures. It was a very strange looking piece, of folded over in places and in others made up of different sinews kind of like a shank. The texture of the meat was nothing like a ribeye.

I have had just the tenderloin once before, in 1999. Found it at Wegman's flagship store in Pittsford NY. Delicious. the tenderloins do look right.

At least these look like they might actually be lamb tenderloins.

254806679_10159532987616341_1451739084419167361_n.jpg

The larger pieces were exactly what I would expect of a lamb tenderloin - tender and delicious. The smaller pieces were, I suspect, the butt end. They were not as tender or flavorful.

Personally, when I order a piece of meat I want it to look like the pictures in the ad, as below. I won't ask for a refund, but I won't be buying anything else there either.

s389143140513812626_p19_i1_w3869.jpeg

Back