• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Going to Austin, what are some updated BBQ recommendations

TealStBBQKing

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Searching through some old posts but I can't find any new recommendations post COVID. Obviously my wife and I are thinking Franklin's but we're open to other places. I saw Stiles and Switch being recommended on some other posts. I'm also thinking about Leroy and Lewis just from Chud BBQ videos. We've got to full days so not a lot of time to check out multiple BBQ joints so I'm hoping to pick one place. Thanks everyone in advance!

A lot of the big places are closed Mondays, in case that's one of your days. That is, alas, the only day I was in Austin. If Monday is one of your days, Black's barbecue is open and good.

A lot of the big places are closed Mondays, in case that's one of your days. That is, alas, the only day I was in Austin. If Monday is one of your days, Black's barbecue is open and good.

Landing Friday after leaving Monday morning

^^^ That must be a really slow plane. I would vote Leroy and Lewis or Terry Black.I may try Franklin if I had several days to kill in Austin.

Interstellar BBQ is the current #2 in the Texas Monthly list, after Goldees, I’d give it a try based solely on that listing. Lots of good food in Austin, even if not BBQ.

Skip Interstellar. Leroy & Lewis is a must, RollinSmoke is a must, tell Kyle I said hello. Just saw him last weekend again and such a cool guy. CM Smokehouse for bbq that is different. If you want to make the short drive Brotherton’s is pretty good in Pflugerville. Terry Blacks is amazing at just the operation of it, food is good. No way would I be within a couple hours of Seguin and not go to Burnt Bean. If you want to see traditional bbq go to Lockhart.

Interstellar was good but being ranked #2 I expected to be blown away and I wasn't. Schmidt Family BBQ in Bee Cave is worth a visit.

Went to TX last week for spring break. Stop 2 was Austin to have the fam see my office and meet my team. We had tickets for the Austin FC game which was awesome-highly recommend if you’re a sports fan. We also had one of the best Mexican meals I’ve eaten at ElDorado Cafe. Stellar.

Do any of these places get a long line and sell out like Franklin? I heard Leroy and Lewis can sell out of if you're not there early. Thanks for all the suggestions!

I too suggest LeRoy and Lewis. If you want to try their Foil Boat Brisket though that is only served on the weekends otherwise it's sliced beef cheek. Yes they do sell out but their line moves fast and doesn't start really forming until 10:30-10:45.

I enjoy Valentina's Breakfast and lunch Tacos. Amazing brisket on those suckers.

Terry Black's is an awesome go anytime place. They have the all bbq method down. It's truly remarkable they put out such quality no matter what time of day considering they have so much employee turnover there.

CM Smokehouse is another favorite of mine. Their Brisket Crunchwrap is amazing.

I highly recommend:
Matt's El Rancho for the best Mexican get the Asadero Tacos!

"Named by TEXAS MONTHLY as "one of the 120 Tacos you must eat before you die!" - Two Beef Tenderloin Tacos with Grilled Asadero Cheese, Onions & Rajas in Corn Tortillas. Served with Frijoles a la Charra & Guacamole Salad."

Valatina's for BBQ, get the Real Deal Holyfield. Get there for breakfast!

On my really quick trip to Austin area last November (I was really going to dripping springs to pick up my moberg). I hit LeRoy and Lewis and it was worth the stop. Beef cheeks were spot on, Barbacoa tacos and the side were good. I had their sausage, good sausage but not my taste profile. I hit Valentina’s the next morning for the real deal and a spicy link. Both awesome. I tried to hit terry blacks on Friday night, but it was dinner time, raining and parking was nuts. Terry blacks does not sell out, so plan on a off hour. It was rainy out for the weekend and nobody in Austin is water tight, cause there was no line at either place. So, I was a little soggy, but got good food with no wait.

***UPDATE****

We end up going to Terry Black's and it was amazing. Got brisket, pork ribs (which actually I didn't love), and jalapeno cheddar sausage. My wife who does not like brisket absolutely loved their brisket. Great spot only wish I could have checked out more spots. Thanks again for the help

Back