MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 01-27-2010, 01:39 AM   #1
life like a Buffett song
Found some matches.

Default Dove in head first & now I have some questions “insurance”

Ok first of all I have to say I think I have read every post in this forum before I dove in. I also have to say after all of that reading You folks know your business and state your opinions without the flame wars that take place on a lot of the forums I read. So hear is where I am at

For years the wife and I have talked of getting in to vending at street fairs, festivals, ect. By chance I got connected with a gentleman who was getting out of the business after quite a few years. We talked and I am becoming the new owner of his business. I did work a couple of events with him to make sure the financials he was feeding me were true. He is doing grilled items chicken, ribs, hot links tri tip. He is calling it BBQ, Here in So Cal anything over coals is BBQ.

So I figured I was buying something established he had to have all of the HD issues and business side issues worked out. And actually he is around 90% by the book. He is storing food prior to the events at home and he is also breaking down the cases of ribs and chicken and applying his rub at home. I should have a fix on this soon. If I can work it out a friend has space at his restaurant for a frige and will let me use the kitchen to break the cases and apply the rub in the off hours.

Now for the question I am stuck on. The insurance he carries is thru specialty insurance, It is a 1,000,000.00 general liability policy from reading their website it is the type of thing that covers me if someone gets burned by a barbecue or my E-Z up collapses and knocks someone out. My question is what kind of insurance do I need to cover what I serve? And who has reasonable rates? I am in California every other person is an attorney so I do not want risk being under covered in case of litigation. I have formed a LLC to distance the business form my personal dealings. I would hate to put the time in to making this work just to have to give it up because I did not buy the right insurance.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide.
life like a Buffett song is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2010, 07:38 AM   #2
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

business liability insurance - auto owners does it. Need to have an estimate of sales and provide htem with annual financial statements just like you do for sales tax.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:45 AM   #3
Spydermike72
Babbling Farker

Like Ford we use Auto Owners and it is pretty decently priced. We also got insurance on our equipment (not including the smoker, that was way overpriced). I believe for an Umbrella Policy with $1million and $10k on equipment I am paying approx $300.00 per year...
Backwoods Competitor
Backwoods Party
Weber Performer
Certified Moink Baller
Past President of the Great Lakes BBQ Association

For those who fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know
Spydermike72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2010, 10:16 AM   #4
smoke it if ya got it
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks Ford and all else who post here. I am starting a small catering bizz and the info on this thread is so valuable to me and many others. Thanks for sharing your information and experiances.

[COLOR=red]Rub it till it smokes![/COLOR]
smoke it if ya got it is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance, vending