How is the green Mountain Daniel Boone Prime Plus WiFi?

Shadowdog500

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
My brother in law had some chicken off of my pit boss and is now in the market for a pellet cooker that has WiFi. His budget is around $700 and he is looking at the Daniel Boone Prime Plus WiFi since he can pick one up at a green mountain dealer near him.

I’ve heard a lot of good things about the green mountain and told him that’s about all I know about them. I want to ask what everyone here thinks of this cooker.

Before the "Prime" units came out, I had all three of the models. The Daniel Boone is a solid unit and the customer service with GMG is top notch. Great company.

Thanks, After spending the evening looking at them on the web I may look at getting the Jim Bowie prime plus model for myself.

How is the smoke profile? Does it give you a decent amount of smoke flavor in pork and beef?

Thanks, After spending the evening looking at them on the web I may look at getting the Jim Bowie prime plus model for myself.

How is the smoke profile? Does it give you a decent amount of smoke flavor in pork and beef?

Well, since you specifically asked, the JB was easily my least favorite of the three. To me, the smoke is the lightest of the three and I liken it an under powered car. For me, the JB always inconsistent with cooks as opposed to the DB and DC. Unless you need the capacity, I'd stick with the DB.

Well, since you specifically asked, the JB was easily my least favorite of the three. To me, the smoke is the lightest of the three and I liken it an under powered car. For me, the JB always inconsistent with cooks as opposed to the DB and DC. Unless you need the capacity, I'd stick with the DB.

Thanks, I have no real reason to go bigger so I can stick to the DB prime plus WIFI.

There is a dealer about a half hour from me, I may go check one out tomorrow.

The Prime models have no issue with light smoke or consistency.

Spend the extra an get a rec tec. Just got mine an by far the best grill I’ve ever had. I was going to buy a Traeger around 700 but for 400 more can can have a way better one.

Spend the extra an get a rec tec. Just got mine an by far the best grill I’ve ever had. I was going to buy a Traeger around 700 but for 400 more can can have a way better one.

Too late now!:biggrin1:

I really want a MAK 2 star general but this GMC do for now.

I’m putting it together right now and it is a lot better built than my 2 yo $450 pit boss.

Congrats on the new smoker! I have a Davy Crockett. It’s a nice little cooker, but it has its quirks. I tend to find myself firing up the pitboss with the rectec controller a lot more. Anyways, I look forward to your future cooks with it.

Nice! My friend who never showed any interest in bbq prior picked one up. He loves his. He's really gotten into Q. He said the main reason why he picked his up was the dealer was just down the road if anything were to happen.

Congrats on the new smoker! Let's see some pics of it assembled!

I’m just finishing up the burn-in.
The smoker held temps rock solid.
I also like that the fan wasn’t going full bore and only had thin smoke coming out the exhaust like my Weber Smokey mountain.

I’m also setting up the WiFi mode and updating the firmware now that fan mode on shutdown ended.

I need to find some cook profiles to try on this smoker for different meats. Ie. temp at 185 for 2 hours, then 275 for 3 hours, then keep warm.

The default brisket profile is 185° until 165° internal temp, then 225° unitil 198° internal temp, then keep warm.

I really like the internal light.

Last edited:
Nice! My friend who never showed any interest in bbq prior picked one up. He loves his. He's really gotten into Q. He said the main reason why he picked his up was the dealer was just down the road if anything were to happen.

The fact that there is a local dealer helped me pull the trigger on this one.

If I need a part or service. I can run out and get it the same day.

My brother in law will get his on Monday. His dealer isn’t open on weekends.

Last edited:
Back