All purpose Chili Powder needed

isuhunter

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I'm coming to the conclusion my Menards chili powder has no flavor to it.

What do you guys suggest for a all purpose chili powder?

McCormick here. That's what the Mrs. buys and I just use it. If it doesn't have enough flavor, I add more...

Mexene brand

87cb6d19-c8b5-4fea-a26e-d2e7033228c4_1.06b1c55bc8fecf3099056a5852593d5b.jpeg

Depends on what you want to spend. I love the Penzey's brand chili powder and they have a few different varieties and heat levels.

I also have heard that the bulk spice available from Oakridge is top notch.

It takes very little effort to make your own from fresh dried chilies, as the flavor is light years ahead of store bought product, which is often stale.

Alton Brown's recipe is a good start, and the chiles in the recipe can be found at Mexican markets or ordered online:

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/abs-chili-powder-recipe-1943055

My only suggestion would be to cut the cumin in half, otherwise it's a bit overpowering.

I usually use Tones. On my standard spices I usually go cheap with Tones. Everything else I use a local shop called Con Yeager. They can be purchased online. They have very good spices and not terribly priced either!

I'm coming to the conclusion my Menards chili powder has no flavor to it.

What do you guys suggest for a all purpose chili powder?

I bet it is just old. It's not uncommon for grocery store spices to be a year or two old by the times they hit the shelves.

EDIT: I misread Penzey's as Pendery's. Pendery's is where we buy many chile powders. "Top Hat" is our personal favorite of the blended chile powders.

I don't do a lot of chili, but give my SIL a bottle of Cookshack chili seasoning, he ordered a 5 lb bag when he ran out. Said it was the best he ever had.

Bulk ancho and new mexico chili powders. Start with equal parts and adjust to your tastes and daily needs.

I realize you asked for an all purpose. Best believe this is it, and I bet you won't go back.

I use Suckle Busters chili seasoning in place of chili powder. Get the big bottle.

Attachments

• sucklebusters.jpg
    sucklebusters.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 299
I use Williams Chili Seasoning. I had been using the McCormicks. I like the Williams better

Chili powder is pretty much useless for adding any significant flavor IMO. Haven't used it in 30-some years. Fresh chilies/peppers are far better.

I grew up on McCormick and really like that for chili along with cumin. Might have to give some of the others a try. I like and use much Penzey spices but, not the chili powder...has a taste I just do not care for, maybe the oregano? Use Tones in my rub.

I use the Penzey's regular and hot chili powder. Best flavor I've found.

Back