All purpose Chili Powder needed

I LOL'd at this because the link took me to Simply Organic, which is the stuff my grocery store carries.

Your best bet if to find a local spice house if you can. Here's a tip. When you finish a spice, especially in a glass jar, put the jar through the dishwasher.

When you find a spice house or a Whole Foods type fresh market, they are liable to sell bulk or fresh by the plastic bag.

Transfer the fresh ground spice to the glass jar and mark it and date it.

You will now know the date it was bought/ground, and over time you will learn the deterioration of the spice.

Chili powder, the stuff produced for mass consumption, is nearly heatless. I'd skip all the major brands and find something local/regional if possible.

As someone mentioned, SuckleBusters chili seasoning is an excellent replacement to chili powder.

Good luck

I like to buy the dried peppers in the cellophane/plastic bags from the Mexican market. Good variety and relatively cheap. When I need chili powder I seed a bunch, usually a random combination and grind them in a cheap coffee grinder. Add whatever other (cumin!) spices/herbs you want. Cheap and the dried whole peppers have a good shelf life.

Food4thot's argument above could be compelling...

Oddly enough, I have found that Walmart brand (Great Value) works good as a "basic" powder. I add whatever else I want depending on what I am putting it in (rub, chili, spice mix)

I prefer a chili powder that does NOT have anise - since I do not like the taste of liquorice

I use Chugwater Chili blend. Made in Chugwater, WY. I've tried most of these mentioned in this thread and has, in my opinion, better flavor than any of them.
chugwater-chili-chugwater-chili-products-chugwater-chili-65-oz-611496_2000x.jpg

I like to buy the dried peppers in the cellophane/plastic bags from the Mexican market. Good variety and relatively cheap. When I need chili powder I seed a bunch, usually a random combination and grind them in a cheap coffee grinder. Add whatever other (cumin!) spices/herbs you want. Cheap and the dried whole peppers have a good shelf life.

Food4thot's argument above could be compelling...
Thank you. It's worth discussing.

Couple of my favorite seasonings are whole cumin and coriander seeds, lightly toasted in a skillet before breaking them down with a mortar and pestle. Can't get that flavor from anything in a bottle.

I stick to penzeys for most spices. They might not be the bestest, but they seem better than the local grocery store offerings. All the bottles line up, which helps my matchy matchy syndrome. My power tools have to be the same brand, and my spices have to be the same brand. I buy their empty bottles for the 'countertop portions' of my Oakridge blends.

• Thanks
Reactions: scp
If you are talking Menard's as in the home improvement store I would steer clear. Probably pretty old.

As mentioned above I use Williams Chili Seasoning. Keep in mind it is not chili powder but I like the flavor it brings.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

My next door neighbor has a dehydrator. You could use a smoker in any case. Get some fresh chilies from anywhere and dry and grind them.

He just gave me some dried and ground Carolina Reaper .... yeah because he's nuts for heat. I took the tiniest little bit and I was in pain for 30 minutes. Crying and laughing at the same time was I.

B

Chili Powder Chile Powder
Versus
Taco Seasoning

Read the labels they’re really close if not identical in some instances. At times Taco Seasoning May have more of what you’re looking for and less of what you’re not. Don’t be afraid to mix and match. We cook a lot of soups stews chili Mexican Texican Mextex etc. I’m always experimenting. We just look for seasoning without msg-soy & soy bi products. Have fun experimenting. Naturiffic has a New Mexico Spice Blend, Sucklebusters has chili and Chile spices in their rubs, Oakridge too. Mild Bills is solid, Williams and Bolner Spices available easily.
Literally the possibilities stretch far.
Stretch it

Back