• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

I don't get low and slow....

mph33

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Today I done a 9 lb pork butt at 375 degrees and it came out absolutely tender and super delicious. It took right around 4 hours to do a full cook. why do people waste their time staring at a cooker for 18 hours? Really think about that. Not to sound like a jerk but let's go over this one more time: why do people sit there and waste their time staring at a cooker for hours on end and getting average results? Even overnight Cooks using insulated cookers with temperature controllers fans and all that you might as well just get up early and do hot and fast and be able to monitor your Cooks versus hoping like hell something doesn't go wrong while your asleep. I also threw two baby back ribs on the cooker doing this hot and fast and was able to get awesome ribs in right over 2 hours. all this delicious food was cooked without swatting at flies and going through a case of beer just to get through the cook. To me, low and slow should be banned worldwide

#JustSayNoToLow&Slow

I guess to each their own. I do lean hot and fast too. Any pics of the ribs :-D

I guess to each their own. I do lean hot and fast too. Any pics of the ribs :-D

I was too busy watching the fight and all the college football games today and didn't get any pictures. All I know is these ribs and pork butt came out awesome

all this delicious food was cooked without swatting at flies and going through a case of beer just to get through the cook. To me, low and slow should be banned worldwide

#JustSayNoToLow&Slow

It's not just about the destination, sometimes its all about the journey.
What better reason do you need to stay home for an entire day and do as little as possible except drink beer?
You know how many errands I've gotten out of on weekends because "I can't leave the smoker unattended" or "I can't drive anywhere, this is beer #6..."

We can all do hot and fast, but man, don't give away the secrets we use to enjoy the weekend. Hell, my wife still thinks it can take me two hours to change the oil in the car... I just like being alone with my tools in the garage...:thumb:

It just goes to show that there is no universal “right way” to BBQ. The right way to BBQ, is the way you like and as long as you get the results you need. I don’t do high temps, it always comes out dry and a bit tough. That could be the altitude I live in (+5K feet above sea level), but I have tried it and it doesn’t work as well for me.

Also, I think the flavor develops better in a longer cook. But that is my opinion and it is only relevant to me and the people I cook for. And if they think they can do better, they can cook for me.

Either way it should be good food and family fun, and that is all I care about for BBQ.

Don't know the science but my intuition tells me that the fat and connective tissue "dissolves" and "melts" into (meaning lubricates) the meat more on the low and slow than the hot and fast. I will say I've tried both and if there is a difference in the final product it may be how well you do either.

A matter of preference.
I'm in the low and slow, no foil, sauce on the side group. :grin:

I used to be in the low and slow group but I can't see a reasoning why I would ever go back to that route again Dot I get much better food when I cook hot and fast

When I learned how to barbecue LBJ was in the White House, we had 3 TV channels and the shows weren't in color until prime time. The internet was a long way off. There were no thermometers on the pits, or to check the doneness of the meats. Fast forward to about 2000, I bought a Big Green Egg that had a somewhat reliable thermometer.... then I bought a cable thermometer, and a instant read Thermoworks, then a Guru (still the analog one) and more or less sorted out what I had been doing for 30 years without all these gadgets.

It's funny you mention pork shoulders, because they are the one whole muscle meat I still cook at real barbecue temperatures, for long times. I just love the end product. For me, the rendering and conversion of the fats in pork can't happen at higher pit temps. I cook ribs at 275°ish, and brisket a tick higher... just prefer true lo-n-slow for shoulders. For 20+ years we've done an annual barbecue and the butts are smoking for 15 hours or so. It works. Oh, yeah.... there is beer involved but I'm on the prep crew the afternoon before and then come back at 4:00 am the next day to handle the finish and work the service table.

hpCREim.jpg

There’s nothing better than spending the whole day in the yard attending to my grills. Gotta have the love for the cook an patient. No need to rush my cook. I’m from south Louisiana where damn near all my cooks take half a day

When I started messing with bbq, the HnF mindset had pretty much taken over. Low and slow was what people "used to do" - like soaking wood chips. So - that's what I went with and never looked back.

I'm good with cooking ribs at 250-275- but my brisket and butts are dinging 300 or a tad higher.

Might my butts (or brisket) be better if I took all day at 225? Maybe- not sure I'll ever know. Might try it one day- same for cooking brisket fat side up. Or not. If there was only ONE way to do it- what would we talk about?

Pork shoulder and butt ate very forgiving but hot and fast dries out the top layer more than I like. Once you get a bark on with low and slow, the meat bastes itself and you get what I like, a moist and tender interior with a thin crust exterior.

I used to be in the low and slow group but I can't see a reasoning why I would ever go back to that route again Dot I get much better food when I cook hot and fast

Best to keep with what you like! Like I said, it's all about personal preference.
I'm a huge fan of low and slow. :thumb:

I started out low and would panic if temps went above 250. I got to where 325 was my normal temp. Now I'm backing down to 275. All good cooks. I stopped by an old Texas bbq joint. No therms in sight. I was looking over the old brick pit. Asked the pit master about temps. He said north of 300. I think hot is the original temp.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

When I learned how to barbecue LBJ was in the White House, we had 3 TV channels and the shows weren't in color until prime time. The internet was a long way off. There were no thermometers on the pits, or to check the doneness of the meats. Fast forward to about 2000, I bought a Big Green Egg that had a somewhat reliable thermometer.... then I bought a cable thermometer, and a instant read Thermoworks, then a Guru (still the analog one) and more or less sorted out what I had been doing for 30 years without all these gadgets.

It's funny you mention pork shoulders, because they are the one whole muscle meat I still cook at real barbecue temperatures, for long times. I just love the end product. For me, the rendering and conversion of the fats in pork can't happen at higher pit temps. I cook ribs at 275°ish, and brisket a tick higher... just prefer true lo-n-slow for shoulders. For 20+ years we've done an annual barbecue and the butts are smoking for 15 hours or so. It works. Oh, yeah.... there is beer involved but I'm on the prep crew the afternoon before and then come back at 4:00 am the next day to handle the finish and work the service table.

hpCREim.jpg

Pretty much how I was taught. Know the fire.... I still don't use a thermometer.

Had to take the temp of the block pit out of curiosity when someone asked. It runs at 250F. No idea on the underground pits.... but they definitely run low and slow. lol

Everyone is different. Do what you're most comfy with and what you enjoy eating. It's all good!

For me, the end product might be the same whether cooked hot and fast or low and slow, but the simple fact is I enjoy getting up early starting the fire, I enjoy watching the smoke roll out of my cooker, I enjoy monitoring the temps, and I enjoy having another beer while the food cooks. I even enjoy going to bed knowing my WSM is holding rock steady at 240 with a full packer bathing in sweet smoke inside. We all get out of this hobby what we put into it.

Back