MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-22-2021, 05:37 PM   #1
Matto6
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Matt
Default Using downed trees for smoking wood

My friend had a downed chestnut oak that was elevated off the ground, so I cut it up and brought it home. I was originally thinking of using it in the smoker, but I learned it was down for 2 years and upon splitting I see a small ring of moisture and mush between the barn and the wood.

I thought about splitting the bark and outer layer off, but it seems better to just use it in the woodstove instead?
Matto6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2021, 05:42 PM   #2
BBQ Freak
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : BBQ Mojo

I would use it and would not think anything about it and use down trees all the time and is all ready seasoned .

Luke's Firepits / Grill

Lone Star Grillz Mini Insulated Cabinet Smoker
BBQ Freak is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-22-2021, 06:14 PM   #3
bschoen
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Bruce

It is very difficult from a fire management pov to get a controlled fire and tbs from a tree still upright. I always prefer down, cut and split for my wood.
bschoen is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-22-2021, 07:17 PM   #4
Burn
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jimmy

I’ll tell you there is enough live oak and post oak along 290 on the way to dripping springs, Tx for this board to smoke a lifetime. Might need to get a chainsaw. They are grinding all up into mulch. Sad.
Burn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2021, 05:25 AM   #5
mike243
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

Split it and allow to dry out and it will be fine imo,

Old 09-23-2021, 05:38 AM   #6
Mike Twangzer
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burn View Post
I’ll tell you there is enough live oak and post oak along 290 on the way to dripping springs, Tx for this board to smoke a lifetime. Might need to get a chainsaw. They are grinding all up into mulch. Sad.
Perhaps a volunteer chain saw gang and a trailer ??? Wonder what they might say ???
Mike Twangzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2021, 06:43 AM   #7
Burn
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Twangzer View Post
Perhaps a volunteer chain saw gang and a trailer ??? Wonder what they might say ???
I was wondering what they would say. I think they are making the road wider near the y.

Old 09-23-2021, 11:47 AM   #8
Mike Twangzer
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burn View Post
I was wondering what they would say. I think they are making the road wider near the y.
They seem to be widening roads every where especially over bridges ... you've seen the sign ... guard rail damge ahead ... could not figure out why they would narrow the road over bridges.
Mike Twangzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2021, 01:37 PM   #9
Burn
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Twangzer View Post
They seem to be widening roads every where especially over bridges ... you've seen the sign ... guard rail damge ahead ... could not figure out why they would narrow the road over bridges.
I cringe when going over the bridge before salt lick and a big truck is coming the opposite direction. Lol

Old 09-23-2021, 01:56 PM   #10
Lynn Dollar
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : A man named Lynn

I prefer finding trees cut down or being cut down. The best thing about it is I know when it was cut. When I have to go to the woodlot to buy wood, the guy there can't tell me when the tree was cut. He's being honest cuz he doesn't know, not a problem with that, but I like to know how seasoned it is.
Lynn Dollar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2021, 03:28 PM   #11
mowin
Full Fledged Farker

I go in the woods and cut up down trees every spring for my smoker. Some hickory's have been down for 3+ yrs.
"Elizabeth Ann" bubba grills 250 ribbox RF offset.
mowin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2021, 02:49 AM   #12
Matto6
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Matt

Thanks everyone. I'll split it and let it try and see how it works out.
Matto6 is offline   Reply With Quote