MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-20-2021, 05:31 AM   #16
CameOutSmokin
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Michael

Looking at the size of the splits under the main body, definitely split those down to coke can diameter or smaller.
CameOutSmokin is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 09-20-2021, 09:43 PM   #17
ChrsGuit
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Chris

Does it have any kind of firebox to cook chamber baffles? Perhaps a strategically placed fire brick or two will help shield from blowtorching your meat.
I struggled with this in my Old Country Pecos, as the stock baffle/deflector blocked good convective airflow. Had to run damper more open to keep the fire lit, in turn, too high (320°-350°) temps.
ChrsGuit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2021, 12:54 AM   #18
Cheech and Chong
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrsGuit View Post
Does it have any kind of firebox to cook chamber baffles? Perhaps a strategically placed fire brick or two will help shield from blowtorching your meat.
I struggled with this in my Old Country Pecos, as the stock baffle/deflector blocked good convective airflow. Had to run damper more open to keep the fire lit, in turn, too high (320°-350°) temps.
No baffles. I will keep an eye on that issue and maybe have some kind of baffle installed in the chamber to prevent burning the meat on that side.
Cheech and Chong is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2021, 06:43 AM   #19
sackedbysapp
Full Fledged Farker

Or just bog with it at 300. Let run where it wants too.
sackedbysapp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2021, 07:38 AM   #20
Cheech and Chong
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sackedbysapp View Post
Or just bog with it at 300. Let run where it wants too.
Good thought... but first I will try a ring basket and smaller splits. I would like to be able to control the temp and get it running at 250 maybe even lower once I get more play time with it. But like some of us here, if the good lord says your gonna weigh 300, you aint getting down to 225.

Old 09-21-2021, 08:49 AM   #21
thedude9999
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : dude

You might want to get a V-shaped basket for the flat firebox if you are getting a basket - like the one LSG sell.
thedude9999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2021, 10:20 AM   #22
Cheech and Chong
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedude9999 View Post
You might want to get a V-shaped basket for the flat firebox if you are getting a basket - like the one LSG sell.
I may just have one made.

Old 09-21-2021, 11:15 AM   #23
elcapitan
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : capitan

I live by the approach that you give the amount of fuel the smoker wants. Truth is it might not be the same every time because of uncontrollable variables such as the weather, baro, wind, humidity, etc... This is the beauty of a offset smoker. The guys who do not want to wrangle fire management buy pellets,gas grills,etc......

You have a nice smoker so the amount of fuel should be in the same ballpark, but don't worry if you may need more/less fuel each cook for your desired temp range. It might be different.

You will find that many here don't use "store" charcoal, I did years ago, now I just use all wood and as Smitty stated use the older hot wood(red coal) as a bed of coals for the new splits that I add throughout the cook. I never warm splits or pre heat them. I just dont overlaod the firebox with fuel.

I try to control my temp by the amount of wood vs just intake or exhaust. I leave the exhaust and intake open usually. I find the more wood I add, the more I have to leave the door open or intake. So I start slow and add wood as needed. Its a balancing act that you learn. Sounds like you had more fuel than you needed at that time.

You will have to just learn what your smoker likes.

Last edited by elcapitan; 09-21-2021 at 11:30 AM..
elcapitan is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-21-2021, 05:47 PM   #24
CameOutSmokin
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Michael

Check out the Oklahoma Joe's Charcoal basket $30-40 on the web (sold at certain local sporting goods stores too) 12x12x7 quick fix for not alot of money. Add your Charcoal base, bring to temp, add splits as needed.
CameOutSmokin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2021, 01:55 PM   #25
1MoreFord
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

I don't recall mention of how seasoned your wood is.

Bang two sticks together. They should feel light for their size and sound something like two baseball bats clanking together. If they feel heavy and the sound is a dull thud they are too green.

If you have a Harbor Freight nearby you could get a moisture meter and take a reading. Split a stick and take the reading in the middle of the stick on the newly split surface. You want the reading to be no more than 20% and preferable ~15%.

Falcon MK V gaseous grill w/Grill Grates, OK Joe Longhorn w/ vertical - now gone, Char Griller Akorn, Camp Chef PG24SG, Weber 22" OTG w/SNS components
1MoreFord is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2021, 02:12 PM   #26
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

Small and hot fire

Former smokers;
Lang 84 Deluxe kitchen, Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2021, 07:21 PM   #27
Cheech and Chong
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MoreFord View Post
I don't recall mention of how seasoned your wood is.

Bang two sticks together. They should feel light for their size and sound something like two baseball bats clanking together. If they feel heavy and the sound is a dull thud they are too green.

If you have a Harbor Freight nearby you could get a moisture meter and take a reading. Split a stick and take the reading in the middle of the stick on the newly split surface. You want the reading to be no more than 20% and preferable ~15%.
I live in the Philippines. I can get a cheap moisture meter here too. I think I will spend some time and split my splits and lay them out in the hot sun for a few days.

Thanks

Old 09-22-2021, 08:24 PM   #28
Burn
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jimmy

Low and slow is the biggest lie in Bbq. Atleast round these parts….
Burn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2021, 08:29 PM   #29
BBQ Freak
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : BBQ Mojo

i would size the splits down thinner in half and a Kindling Cracker will be your best friend and your fire will burn a lot cleaner .

Luke's Firepits / Grill

Lone Star Grillz Mini Insulated Cabinet Smoker
BBQ Freak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2021, 05:09 AM   #30
mike243
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

Bark is fine, I would never go through the trouble to remove, I use hickory shag bark often when grilling due to the great flavor it gives food.