MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-13-2021, 10:00 PM   #61
Dweverett
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor_Macleod View Post
Agreed that a table saw only works for thin splits (~3" or less); however, if I stand on the back side of the saw and pull the split toward me, the kickback would go away from me instead of toward me...but then again, it might throw my hand into the blade, and that wouldn't be good at all. So I'm thinking the table saw is not a good idea.
Yeah, you definitely don’t want to try to pull the wood through the blade from the back. That would be a really bad idea — almost guarantee you lose something important if the wood does catch at all.

The only way I’d even consider using a table saw would be with some type of sled that I could hold the wood on as it went through the blade so I’d have some level of control and the waste side was more or less free to fall off without risk of binding on anything. That said, I’d be manually cutting them with a bow saw before I’d try it.

Gifted to various children — Kamado Joe Classic, 36” Blackstone Griddle, Weber Genesis, Rectec 680
Dweverett is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2021, 06:35 AM   #62
Lynn Dollar
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : A man named Lynn

I think all I need is some way to chain or clamp small pieces on to my home made saw buck. I'm seaching for some kind of chain clamp, not having any luck or maybe I don't know what to search for ?

Is it possible to clamp pieces on to the miter saw to prevent kickback ? My saw has a clamp on the right side but I think its meant to hold regular shaped flat wood in place.
Lynn Dollar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2021, 11:16 AM   #63
Back9Q
is one Smokin' Farker

I use dewalt miter saw every time I cook. Run splits on table saw the. Cut to length on miter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Back9Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2021, 07:14 PM   #64
Porcine Aviator
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Dollar View Post
How large a piece was it ? How irregular was it ?

I keep the size of the pieces at a minimum.

And another tip would be to use another piece of wood to hold the piece being cut.
You have to be kidding. You're willing to experiment with different size splits and a holding jig to save a few minutes?

This is a very dangerous procedure— don't do it.

Old 10-16-2021, 07:29 AM   #65
Lynn Dollar
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porcine Aviator View Post
You have to be kidding. You're willing to experiment with different size splits and a holding jig to save a few minutes?

This is a very dangerous procedure— don't do it.

Thanks for the warning !!

I wasn't aware of that .

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-16-2021, 12:00 PM   #66
Nuco59
Babbling Farker

I would love to have a gently used band saw to cut my splits. all I have is an oldddd Rockwell miter saw- so that's what I use. I wear eye protection, I wear hearing protection and I know that if I'm careless, it will bite the hell out of me. We have an agreement: I do nothing stupid, I get to keep my digits. Me cutting wood on the miter saw is a much safer act than me climbing into a car and commuting to work everyday and back... those people in front, behind and beside you are straight up idiots.

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-17-2021, 03:17 PM   #67
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Thanks for the idea!
I used the clamp on my miter saw to hold my splits and cut them with the little electric chain saw part of my pole saw.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2021, 12:20 PM   #68
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

Kindling Kracker & JawSaw
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2021, 03:26 PM   #69
drallan81
On the road to being a farker

Didn't get a chance to read through the entire thread, and I know I'll probably get some flack, but I use an electric chainsaw. I have a 20v Black & Decker (there are better brands out there) that I use. It's not a world beater and won't win any timbersport competition. But it starts every time, is light and cuts through splits and decent size logs/branches with ease.

Old 10-18-2021, 04:40 PM   #70
onemanlan
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by drallan81 View Post
Didn't get a chance to read through the entire thread, and I know I'll probably get some flack, but I use an electric chainsaw. I have a 20v Black & Decker (there are better brands out there) that I use. It's not a world beater and won't win any timbersport competition. But it starts every time, is light and cuts through splits and decent size logs/branches with ease.
I didn't even consider the electric chainsaw as an option until you mentioned it. Had to check out my fav YT channel Essential Craftsman on the matter and he seems to agree. Also the gator looper sounds like a decent solution as well.

Grateful you guys posted about all your experiences in this thread and that OP asked the question. had been floating this idea around in my head for some time. Your experiences have probably helped stop me from destroying my fingers in the near future. I'll stick to the chainsaw for length & kindling cracker for splits for the time being.

Old 10-18-2021, 04:56 PM   #71
WilliamKY
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : William

I buy my wood already cut to the length I like. Sometimes the splits are a bit thick but nothing my electric splitter and Kindling Cracker cant handle. If I do a have a split that is slightly longer it's no big deal, still burns the same.
Weber 26
WGA
Old Smokey Electric.
Go Cards!
WilliamKY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-22-2021, 03:35 PM   #72
SmoothBoarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Donnie

I decided to take a gamble on the Black and Decker Alligator Saw. I'll test it out during the upcoming week and report back. After getting smashed in the face while using a miter saw I'm pretty cautious about cutting wood splits these days.

Old 10-22-2021, 03:58 PM   #73
SkaterSmoker
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : MJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothBoarBBQ View Post
I decided to take a gamble on the Black and Decker Alligator Saw. I'll test it out during the upcoming week and report back. After getting smashed in the face while using a miter saw I'm pretty cautious about cutting wood splits these days.
I'm interested in your upcoming review, thanks! I was planning on buying this one too in the next month.
SkaterSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-22-2021, 09:24 PM   #74
Colorado0321
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : D

I've been using a 40t 12" saw blade in my chop saw which has a strong clamp built into it and runs at 3800 RPM. Only issue I've had was when I had a split that required two separate cuts to get all the way through it (had to rotate it 180° and line up with the first cut). Kicked the remnant out the side pretty good when the second cut met up with the first cut. No issues cutting dozens of other splits that got done in one cut though. Gets through knots no problem too. I just got to make sure the splits aren't too big to not be cut in one go and everything gets clamped in tight.
Colorado0321 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2021, 05:28 AM   #75
Lynn Dollar
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado0321 View Post
I've been using a 40t 12" saw blade in my chop saw which has a strong clamp built into it and runs at 3800 RPM. Only issue I've had was when I had a split that required two separate cuts to get all the way through it (had to rotate it 180° and line up with the first cut). Kicked the remnant out the side pretty good when the second cut met up with the first cut. No issues cutting dozens of other splits that got done in one cut though. Gets through knots no problem too. I just got to make sure the splits aren't too big to not be cut in one go and everything gets clamped in tight.

That's when the kickback occurs. The irregular shaped pieces need to be held firmly against the fence. But once the cut goes all the way through, the one on the right can move into the blade ( I hold the piece with my left hand ) .

Since we're not making furniture and need clean cuts, I've been cutting to within 1/4 " through the piece. Then breaking it by hand. Or it would even be possible to go within 1/2" and finish with a hand saw.

And I stay with small pieces, this is my last cut before it goes in the smoker and I like splits no larger around than a beer can and about 8 to 10" long. Anything larger than that, gets the chain saw.