RadioShack's $40 Wireless BBQ Thermometer

Mark I read a post on another forum that asked the same question. If I recall correctly, the ones that had tried it stated it was not accurate and they had returned theirs.

Guess you could always give it a try yourself, I like the monitor part of it!

I am just getting into the probe thing. I have a remote one that seems to be kinda quirky. Also a couple of others. In this cold ass weather the remote will definatly be used

Wife was at the mall going to pick up the Radio Shack one you mention Mark. She called me, and read the back. Seems it's range is up to 220* or so. I told her it was a piece'o'crap cuz I use them for both meat and pit temps.

So I'm getting a second NuTemp 701 remote.

Its pretty accurate, cold and hot.

I leave one out in the pit, and it read farking 9* on the base unit as I walked out the door this morning.

Mark,

I have the Nu-temp model courtisy (SP?) of Phil, and just bought two more remotes sensors for it right before Thanksgiving. I love it! It is one of the best BBQ tools I have (maybe the best).

If you decide to buy the Nu-temp e-mail Phil because there is a way you can get a good discount on them.

John

I had the Radio Shack version on my Christmas list and I am smoking a Turkey and some Boston Butts on Christmas day. I'll report my results with it.
I have 3 oven thermometers I'll put on different racks to get an idea of it's overall accuracy.

much appreciated Saiko

Bah, my wifey got me the wrong thing. I wrote down "WIRELESS BARBEQUE THERMOMETER"....she somehow interpreted this as meaning "remote infrared thermometer". And she says I don't listen.

Oh well, I'm a gonna return it today and try to get the right one. Oh well, next time I smoke I'll post my results.

edit: Just checked the online store and it is out of stock, but may be available at a local store. May not be able to get it for a while.

I smoked a boneless picnic (7 1/2 lb) and two loins New Years Eve. The Redi-Chek E-72 remote wireless thermometer showed up at the house just in time for the smoke. It worked very well. It goes up to 410 degrees and has a timer. $39.95 at Amazon.com. Alarms at a pre-set maximum temp but not at a minimum temp. I shoved a cork on the probe, fished the probe wire down the stack and used it mainly to monitor temp at loin level (top rack). The transmitter unit duct-taped nicely to the chimney cover, which doesn't get hot.
Jim

My mother-in-law got me a Redi-Chek wireless remote thermometer for Christmas. I used it Christmas day along with my faithful pyrex electronic and it seemed pretty accurate -- it was nice having the receiver with me or in the house.

Back