MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 10-29-2020, 03:09 PM   #1
jasonjax
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason
Default 100 high school football players brisket and butts

I'm going to cook a pre-game meal for the local high school team my buddy's son plays for.

I played ball and never ate as much on game day as I did other days, but I still ate a lot compared to now.

Thoughts on how much I should plan for per kid? There will be sides also.
jasonjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->

Old 10-29-2020, 03:31 PM   #2
Whumpa
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Charles

100 high school football players? I would think 6 or 7 full sides of beef, and 30, 35 butts ought to do it. But keep the phone handy if you have to call for pizza.��
Whumpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 10-29-2020, 03:56 PM   #3
PatAttack
somebody shut me the fark up.

They will eat at least 1/2 lb. each I'm thinking but maybe a 1/3 lb. each.?

So, maybe 175 lbs. and then you have to factor in trimming.

You have quite a bit of work ahead of you my friend!

Good luck!

On edit: with sides maaaybe 1/4 lb. each but I doubt it.

22" WSM
22" Weber Gold
Weber Smoky Joe
Weber Gasser
Rec-Tec 590
PatAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 07:48 PM   #4
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

When is the game related to the meal? I'd feed chicken and carbs, but try to stay away from fat. Unless you don't mind taking the heat if they are lethargic on the field. Just sayin....

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 10-29-2020, 07:59 PM   #5
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

I fed a high school football team once many years ago. I was betting they'd eat the firebox of the smoker. Turned out they ate about the average amount any other group would have. That may not always be the case though.
Old 10-30-2020, 01:19 AM   #6
TravelingJ
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBMTN View Post
I fed a high school football team once many years ago. I was betting they'd eat the firebox of the smoker. Turned out they ate about the average amount any other group would have. That may not always be the case though.
This has been my experience. Though, it wasn't pre-game. I've cooked for my nephews 'football banquets' the previous 2 years, and they ate at the same rate as when I cook for a family gathering.
TravelingJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 08:18 AM   #7
jasonjax
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

Thanks for the advice guys. I’m going to plan 7oz give or take per person after trim.
jasonjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->