MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-18-2021, 08:14 PM   #46
LongTong
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Good Stuff

I took a family pack of thighs and dusted them up good with Saigon 21 and refrigerated for a few hours. The rub has a wonderful aroma. Cooked them with nothing else for 45 minutes on the Weber kettle with Kingsford blue. Served them sprinkled with cilantro, green onion, and toasted sesame seeds. Dipping sauce was a mix of Hoisin, Vietnamese fish sauce, black vinegar, a diced Thai chili and a crushed clove of garlic. On the side we had quinoa salad. They came out really good. My wife, teenage daughter, and myself finished them off in one sitting. Good stuff...

Thank you for the sample. Next, I think I will try it on some pork satay sticks...
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 5DF07092-1429-415D-91AC-55EA8D47AE01.jpeg (209.4 KB, 136 views)

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->

Old 04-19-2021, 07:11 AM   #47
Smoke Dawg
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : IMF

I will add mine here also.

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s...d.php?t=291195.

There was something I did not care for before cooked but the grill brought out a great flavor. I am going to have to try Pho with the next cook.

Done.jpg
IMBAS Certified Moink Baller
Smoke Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2021, 08:25 AM   #48
Fat Freddy
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Fred

I have had a few minor health things come up. The wife made the Pho recipe that came with Saigon 21. Good flavor and hit the spot when we tried it. She then decided to try and make a more traditional beef Pho with it. When the nurse aide came into the house that day he made a point to say how good the house smelled. So wife gave him a bowl as well and he absolutely loved the flavors. We enjoyed the beef Pho as well but already knew we liked the flavors.

If all goes as expected I am hoping to fire up the grill in next week or so and I am wanting to grill up some shrimp with the Saigon 21, but can say for sure that this is another one I would order from Oakridge BBQ without a doubt.

Old 04-19-2021, 11:46 AM   #49
sudsandswine
Babbling Farker

Went freezer diving and came up with a couple orange roughy filets. Seasoned with Saigon 21 then pan seared in some butter. I really like the flavors of the seasoning on white fish.

Old 04-19-2021, 02:04 PM   #50
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Yesterday I used an old recipe for Five-Spice Ribs, but I substituted Saigon 21 so the ingredients for the marinate were salt, pepper, sugar, soy sauce, wine, garlic, chili powder and 2 teaspoons of Saigon 21 Rub (which was the amount of five-spice that was called for). After the marinade time, I blotted it off the surface, and added a sprinkle of Saigon 21 on the meat side only. This marinade has a lot going on flavor wise but the Saigon 21 fit right in. Going forward these ribs will be now be known as Saigon 21 Ribs.

KCBS - CBJ & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-2021, 07:35 PM   #51
sudsandswine
Babbling Farker

Over the weekend I picked up some jumbo gulf shrimp and made skewers today. I did two with Saigon 21 and two with BPS Garlic Jalapeno. I went with a lighter coating of Saigon 21 than I’d used on my previous cooks with it so as to not overpower the shrimp’s natural flavor, which is easy to do with any seasoning IMO.

I thought shrimp brought out the sweeter notes in Saigon 21, I really liked it and my wife did too. The two are a good pair and I’d use it again in this application

Saigon 21 is the two skewers in the background in this pic

Old 04-20-2021, 08:29 PM   #52
ronbrad62
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Ron

Lots of great reviews and uses for Saigon 21. My wife wanted boneless/skinless chicken breast for dinner, so since I was firing up the grill, I thought it would be a great opportunity to try out my sample of Mike's new rub, so I bought some thighs for that purpose.
I coated the thighs and let them sit in the fridge for a couple of hours, then put them on the grill.
When they were done, I added sweet chili sauce to one to compare, and the sauced one was my favorite. I can't wait to try some of the other ideas presented here.
Thanks again Mike for the chance to try something new.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20210420_171224870.jpg (55.6 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20210420_194242304.jpg (58.6 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20210420_202526966.jpg (73.6 KB, 91 views)

Old 04-20-2021, 11:18 PM   #53
Eads Ranch
Full Fledged Farker

For my first test I thawed out a nice thick slice of pork loin. Coated with EVOO and put a nice layer of Saigon 21 on it and then into the refrigerator for about 45 minutes. I loved the aroma when I opened the bag. Looking at the list of ingredients made me wonder how it the heck does Mike do this, let alone how much of each to get the ratios just right. Onto the the MAK at 275 and pulled it at 145 IT. My palate is certainly not sophisticated enough to offer up any changes. However I know I'll be ordering some as soon as it's released. What a great flavor. Next up is chicken thighs. Thanks for the sample Mike.
Ranch: LSGIVC, Disc-It, Cajun Fryer 4 gallon, and DCS gasser.
Gifted to son-in-law: Assassin 48
Eads Ranch is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 04-21-2021, 07:28 AM   #54
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : George

This chicken looks amazing Thanks for the review
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-21-2021, 12:30 PM   #55
Tat-que
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Doug

To start thanks mike for the rub! I used it on grilled pork steaks and made a batch of pancit! I added some to the braising liquid for the thighs and used the broth to rehydrate my noodles! The flavor out of the bag was a bit strong in some flavors but boy did it mellow out nicely in the cooking process! Was very tasty can’t wait to try on ribs and wings! Again thx! Cheers!

Old 04-22-2021, 01:16 PM   #56
lowcountrygamecock
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Kevin

So when will the rub be available? Looks awesome.
lowcountrygamecock is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-22-2021, 02:16 PM   #57
kcmike
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcountrygamecock View Post
So when will the rub be available? Looks awesome.
Very soon. We're working on the final product artwork now.

Thanks!

~ Visit Oakridge BBQ ~

Ole Hickory CTO
22˝" WSM
26˝" Weber Kettle
kcmike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-22-2021, 03:46 PM   #58
QN
is one Smokin' Farker

I tried it on a couple of salmon fillets last night. Tasty stuff! Still plan to try it on some pork when I can.
22" Weber
Weber Summit SS natural gas
QN is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2021, 09:00 PM   #59
McGruber
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Awesome

Mike,
Tried today on some wings and they turned out awesome. I was unsure based on the initial smell tests of how they would end up. But we loved them! Reminded me of what I’ve tasted in Vietnam and South Korea. I wish I got pictures but so occupied today during multiple kids baseball and softball games. Thank you and can’t wait to try in some pho this week.
McG