Aftermarket Thermometer

dmprantz

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I'm looking to add a decent but affordable analog thermometer to my Cajun Bandit. I like the Ashcroft in The Beast, but they seem to be somewhat hard to find and pricey, not to mention, that unless I can find the right nut, they really are designed to work with an NPT coupling, which means more welding. New Braunfels used to have pretty nice thermometers that fit the Bandera, NBSS, Hondo, etc, but as far as I can tell, Charbroil 86ed those....

I found this thermometer on Amazon for $19, and I was wondering if any one had any feedback, or alternate locations for a decently priced thermometer. Looking for something I can install with drilling, but no welding.

http://www.amazon.com/BBQ-Smoker-Th...G4/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1286474553&sr=8-11

Lemme know, thanks,

dmp

Would a Tel-tru work (they make all sorts)?

Might be a lil more expensive, but they probably have something that would work without all the modifications.

Where are you going to mount it, in the lid?

I have a 22"WSM thermo with the bezel opposite the vent, it reads to 350*, but I also have a Weber Genesis grill thermo that reads to 750*+.
Personally, I'd go with the grilling thermo, if I were to do it over again.

This is what I install on the barrel smokers we sell. The round one is the standard and the oval one is the upgrade I get from Bob at bbqbonanza. The website is kck.com
Bob says they are one of the better thermometers on the market for the price. I have found that buying them from Bob is conciderably cheaper than at the bbqprotemp website. But as always ymmv.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=492548&id=149908158353478

Timmy......Thanks for the info. Have been looking for a good one. Just ordered the oval.

Thanks guys. I'm leaning toward the RC thermometers because of the price and the recommendation from Jim. Tel Tru makes a good thermometer, but they are priced a bit higher. Swamp, the plan is to drill a hole through the barrel of the CB, probably just above the door and/or just below the top grate to give me accurate grate level temps. Lid level temps are not accurate enough for me, and I really don't want something that goes up to 700*: I don't ever entend to smoke at that temp, and the wider the range, the less accurate a tool is usually. I have a seperate performer for grilling anyway.

Again, thanks all. I'll take a closer look at BBQBonanca: The TelTrue nut kit looks particularly interesting for if I did go back to get an Ashcroft.

dmp

Thanks guys. I'm leaning toward the RC thermometers because of the price and the recommendation from Jim. Tel Tru makes a good thermometer, but they are priced a bit higher. Swamp, the plan is to drill a hole through the barrel of the CB, probably just above the door and/or just below the top grate to give me accurate grate level temps. Lid level temps are not accurate enough for me, and I really don't want something that goes up to 700*: I don't ever entend to smoke at that temp, and the wider the range, the less accurate a tool is usually. I have a seperate performer for grilling anyway.

Again, thanks all. I'll take a closer look at BBQBonanca: The TelTrue nut kit looks particularly interesting for if I did go back to get an Ashcroft.

dmp

I'm seriously considering a Guru adapter on my Cajun Bandits.

I picked up one at Walmart for $18.00 for my UDS and it works just fine. They were actually on clearance last time I was in for $9.00. It is pretty accurate and heavy duty.

I'm seriously considering a Guru adapter on my Cajun Bandits.

I installed a Stoker in my CB for last cook. Temp ran away, but the product was good, and I didn't have to babysit it at all. I used a 1 1/8" hole saw, and it worked, but I would use a 1" if I did it again. Stoker requires two holes, but it looks like Guru only requires one. BTW, Stoker WSM/CB adapter can be made for less than $5 for a SS bowl, SS hardware at Lowes, and a Drill.

I still don't think that a Stoker or Guru is a replacement for a large analog thermometer. I don't have a WiFi phone yet, and it's always nice to look out the window and see the approximate temp, without having to walk up to the unit.

dmp

{Midnight ☼ Smoke};1432438 said:
I picked up one at Walmart for $18.00 for my UDS and it works just fine. They were actually on clearance last time I was in for $9.00. It is pretty accurate and heavy duty.

I was planning on going to WalMart this weekend, and I'll take a look, but they're pretty hit or miss, especially on seasonable stuff. Thanks!

dmp

I ended up stopping by Academy Sports today to see what they had, and they had a Made in China Charbroil 3" thermometer for $10. I'm sure the quality could be better, but it has 1/2" MIP threads and a nut, so it's what I want, to start with anyway. My only real complaint is that the low side of the temp is only labeled down to 150, but I think it'll do.

dmp

I'm looking to add a decent but affordable analog thermometer to my Cajun Bandit. I like the Ashcroft in The Beast, but they seem to be somewhat hard to find and pricey, not to mention, that unless I can find the right nut, they really are designed to work with an NPT coupling, which means more welding. New Braunfels used to have pretty nice thermometers that fit the Bandera, NBSS, Hondo, etc, but as far as I can tell, Charbroil 86ed those....

I found this thermometer on Amazon for $19, and I was wondering if any one had any feedback, or alternate locations for a decently priced thermometer. Looking for something I can install with drilling, but no welding.

http://www.amazon.com/BBQ-Smoker-Th...G4/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1286474553&sr=8-11

Lemme know, thanks,

dmp

I spent a bit more and got a good one: I've never been sorry.

Back