Cheap smoker to get me started

Welshman

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
What do the brethren think of this as a cheap smoker to get me started on my smoking journey

Attachments

• 1F707070-9C7E-41F2-805A-9DCC05FB3FA8.jpg
    1F707070-9C7E-41F2-805A-9DCC05FB3FA8.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 266
You would be better to buy a charcoal kettle grill that you can also smoke on. Webers and PKs are both excellent, plus you get the grilling capability.

I'd be very afraid with one that cheap you'd just be buying frustration.

You can get a 22" Weber at Pugh's Garden Center, but it's pricier than here - £295.

Weber kettle will me my choice as well especially the 67cm (26") Though I know they cost a pretty penny there. Cheap smokers may turn off a beginner.

Ok.....will stick with the gasser for this year and look next year for when I redesign the kitchen build to make better use of the space I have

Jowwy, is charcoal hard to come by over there, or are there restrictions on burning charcoal and wood?

when buying certain items, such as optics for firearms, kitchen equipment, knives, hand tools, etc, the motto "buy once, cry once" will serve you well...

by the time you buy a cheap one, futz around with modifications, trying to make it better, etc, you will likely have spent more time & money on it, than if you'd just started out with a decent, but slightly more expensive, cooker.

IMHO, of course, YMMV.

redc1c4,
n00b here, but not to 'Que!

That little smoker will make good cue but you are going to be monkeying with it every 30 minutes just to keep it in the smoke range. I got buy with a few of these $35 equivalent brinkman smokers before I bought a WSM. It is a cheap way to get started and make good cue. It will Also make you appreciate your next higher dollar smoker that actually holds temp.

017704bf-e1f9-4d9f-a41e-7f928969cf81_1.aecf1117dc02d60bb55080b73f6cb27e.jpeg

That little smoker will make good cue but you are going to be monkeying with it every 30 minutes just to keep it in the smoke range. I got buy with a few of these $35 equivalent brinkman smokers before I bought a WSM. It is a cheap way to get started and make good cue. It will Also make you appreciate your next higher dollar smoker that actually holds temp.

017704bf-e1f9-4d9f-a41e-7f928969cf81_1.aecf1117dc02d60bb55080b73f6cb27e.jpeg
and the infamous ECB makes an appearance... :becky::becky::becky:

redc1c4,

Kettle is your best bet if you can spring the extra dollars. Weber has a UK website.

https://www.weber.com/GB/en/barbecues/charcoal-barbecues/

Its a bit more pricey, but I can't help but join the chorus recommending it. Works for both grilling and smoking entry. Lots of 3rd party support if you're looking to upgrade it. I had a Kamado Joe before a disaster and replaced it with a Weber kettle(and a pure smoker) and I'm not looking back. I use it to smoke small stuff on like chicken & it does great. If not a Weber look for a similar kettle design as your 1st. It can serve 2 functions.

Here's a site for PK Grills in the UK. More expensive, but a great, great grill. I know - I have one. But either a Weber or a PK will serve you very well for many, many years.

when buying certain items, such as optics for firearms, kitchen equipment, knives, hand tools, etc, the motto "buy once, cry once" will serve you well...

by the time you buy a cheap one, futz around with modifications, trying to make it better, etc, you will likely have spent more time & money on it, than if you'd just started out with a decent, but slightly more expensive, cooker.

IMHO, of course, YMMV.

redc1c4,

Then again, the advice I got about starting new endeavors was to buy cheap tools. If I wear them out, then it's time to buy better quality. Nothing worse than having expensive stuff laying around that doesn't get used.

Jowwy, is charcoal hard to come by over there, or are there restrictions on burning charcoal and wood?

No cooking restrictions on charcoal or wood........

there was a time on this site that someone would have replied "build a uds" to any what cooker should I get thread. quite frankly I'm disappointed in you guys

I was surprised as well. I thought maybe it was because I finally built one.

I would not cook on a free ECB.

and it sounds like the $$ for a Weber Kettle is highway robbery over there.

Build a uds - find a 200L open top drum and get after it.

Back