MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-03-2020, 06:44 AM   #16
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetHeatBBQnSC View Post
I have read on all the rub labels to store in a dry and cool environment. However, I struggle to think all these warehouses where these rubs are being stored are climate controlled. I have put mine (so far) in my shed outside in my rub storage container. It is pretty hot in the shed. Also, I have noticed after a while some are starting to cake up. I figure this is normal, but definitely wanted to check in case it is the heat causing it. Am I the only one storing in heat?

Not all rubs are stored in warehouses. keep in mind that most spices start to loose potency and essential oils when stored for a year.

Your best bet is to buy rubs that are produced upon the order of your items; yes there are a few.
For those who don't buy from these distributors here are a few alternatives.

1) I find my basement gives the best storage possibility for me due to a dehumidifier.
2) Seal the shaker, put some long grain rice in the rub mixture.
3) For those who do not have a dehumidifier, use a humidity absorber inside the spice cabinet. These can be found at hardware stores and big box stores like Walmart. Buy the unscented...

IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 08-03-2020, 12:03 PM   #17
Jbowie
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe Bowie
Default Holey moley

How did you get the holes in the shaker lid?

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-03-2020, 12:17 PM   #18
robertm
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : ROBERT

I buy a few rubs in bulk. The bulk I keep in original packaging, place in ziplock 1 gallon bag, compress out all the air and store in the freezer. I pull out when I need to refill my shaker. Rubs don't seem to lose any of their potency this we even a couple years old.

Everything else just sits on a shelf (ok shelves, lots of shelves) in the pantry and cabinets.

Old 08-03-2020, 02:57 PM   #19
Big N Hot
Full Fledged Farker

I found that storing my rubs in a pantry that shared a perimeter wall with my house was causing issues during the summer. The door stays closed and the small area doesn't get the right amount of air circulation, temperature control, and de-humidification. I've since moved them into an interior space.

Also, if you have rubs that are caked up, pour them out on some wax paper on a baking sheet and put in the oven for a bit on low heat. The heat will dry out the moisture and you'll be good as new.
Big N Hot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2020, 03:09 PM   #20
Learning to BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

I keep mine in the pantry, but it is right beside the fridge cubbyhole so gets heat from there. For things like garlic and onion powder which I have a big problem with clumping, I find a few grains of rice in there helps a lot.

UDS, 22" Weber Original kettle, Weber Smokey Joe
Learning to BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2020, 08:25 PM   #21
jzadski
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbowie View Post
How did you get the holes in the shaker lid?
I used a metal punch. Kinda like a paper punch for metal. Also have some I use a drill press but, the holes weren't quite as clean. Uh oh...assuming you meant me

Old 08-03-2020, 10:30 PM   #22
Shadowdog500
is Blowin Smoke!

I keep my crab spice and rub that I mix up in the cabinet above the refrigerator.
My wife can’t reach that cabinet so it’s all mine!!!

Old 08-04-2020, 07:03 AM   #23
Curt.P
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Curt

They do make Ball Mason shaker lids. I've been wanting to try the stainless screen lids for a shaker top, but I haven't felt like buying Mason jars.
Curt.P is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2020, 08:38 PM   #24
Hoosier1960
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Harold

I have a FoodSaver and got the mason jar attachment for it. Seam my rubs in mason jars.
Weber Silver Gasser, UDS, Weber 18.5" Silver, Weber Redhead Stainless Performer, Blue Weber 22.5 Gold, 18.5" WSM, Mini UDS, Oklahoma Joe Bandera, Pit Boss Coppertop Vertical Pellet Smoker, Pit Boss Pro 1100, Thermopen so fast it has flames :-D
Hoosier1960 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2020, 11:59 PM   #25
Burnbern
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzadski View Post
Here's my shaker with home made shaker top
I’m also interested to see how you put the holes in the lid. Did you drill them?

Old 08-05-2020, 12:05 AM   #26
LongTong
is one Smokin' Farker

Freezer

Old 08-05-2020, 07:52 AM   #27
jzadski
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnbern View Post
I’m also interested to see how you put the holes in the lid. Did you drill them?
I used a metal punch. Kinda like a paper punch for metal. Also have some I use a drill press but, the holes weren't quite as clean.

Old 08-05-2020, 01:25 PM   #28
JEStucker
Full Fledged Farker

Location: That one particular harbor, So far, but yet so near
Name/Nickname : Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullinPork View Post
I keep my Oakridge stuff in a kitchen cabinet (Oakridge seem to be well sealed) and the plastic jars in a cambro downstairs. Still get clumping sometimes. I’m wondering if the small desiccant bags would be food safe

Buy a bag of beef jerky (Jack Link's or Oberto - sacrilege, I know) eat said jerky, put the little packet from inside the jerky bag in your Rub container, especially if it's a smaller jar, like 1lb or so... those are food safe and should last a while to keep moisture at bay...

Old 08-06-2020, 10:17 AM   #29
hmbrewr
Knows what a fatty is.

I had a good friend who was a spice salesman. Used to to give me all the spices I needed. Told me to store in mason jars in the freezer. he's retired now , so no more freebies, but the spices in the freezer seem to retain all their freshness. YMMV
hmbrewr is offline   Reply With Quote