So I started a Q joint

JamesTuribius

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Back In november 2019 me and my family (my folks, sister and my wife) started a bbq joint in our town, sadly we had to close temporarily due to COVID19 and then a small tornado that destroyed part of our place.

Anyways, we'll start again this August, hopefully. We started slow , we're selling just 1 brisket, 2-3 rack of pork ribs and around 10 sausages per day , plus mac&cheese, potato salad, coleslaw, beans, the usual... (we open just Sundays)

We're new at this so we have some doubts, if we're doing things right.
I'm smoking the brisket on saturday morning, taking it out around 10 pm, letting it cool for an hour or so and then I put it into an alto-sham oven at 140°F all night just to keep it warm and resting, opening it up again at sunday noon. Am I doing this right? This is so we can sleep. Is is resting for too long or is this normal in a bbq joint?

I'm sure I'll have more questions soon, hope to hear from more experienced people around here! thanks!!

-
James

Don't have the answer for you but wanted to send best wishes for good luck and all success!

I think that's how other BBQ joints operate but I have never held a brisket like that.

Are you happy with the final product? If so, roll with it.

Good luck with the business.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Hope you get rolling good soon! I am not sure what time you have customers but if lunch starts at 10, you are holding it for 12+ hours. That seems a little too long but I dont know bbq business at all. It seems like you must be in a very small area to only be open one day. Do you have a way to get your business out into a public event to give people a bigger taste of your food? OR, can you set up a system to take orders ahead if time, and have food ready on Sunday? I have heard about places that have some that.

Not saying your right or wrong, but I will say if I had an altosham, that’s exactly how I’d do it!

I don't have an Alto-sham or w/e its called, but i have been using pid controlled water circulators (aka sous vide) units for well over a decade. May i suggest, instead of bringing your brisket to what i assume is in the 200F range, then holding at 140F. Get a nice bark on it (usually in the 165-175F range) then use your alto-sham to bring it to 185F and hold it there for the 10-12 hours or whatever works for your lunch hours. You will have to tweak the timing but your end product will be much better.

Man I sit here with a state job wishing I had the stones to do what you are doing.

Best wishes for a future filled with success.

Good luck James and all the best. Sorry I can't give you any tips on what you are doing. I have only held in a cambro (butts) for around 8 hours and they held up great. When I pulled the last 2 I still needed the insulated gloves.

where is Monterrey is your place?....San Pedro GG by any chance?

Asking because I will likely travel there once the COVID situation is over. I'll stop by if I can.

Thanks yall for your wishes, comments and ideas, I'm sure going to try them!

We're moving to a new place hopefully soon (combination of different factors) , in the meantime we'll re-start with orders to go and delivery.

where is Monterrey is your place?....San Pedro GG by any chance?

Asking because I will likely travel there once the COVID situation is over. I'll stop by if I can.

We were in Apodaca, 10 mins from the airport, had to close down and we'll be moving to another place nearby, but not in San Pedro GG, but I could let you know of some good places closer to that area if you'd like!

Hopefully when this COVID sit is over and you're around we'll be open to the public again in our new place! Would love to have you

From what I learned in Austin, a common approach for restaurants there is to fully smoke the brisket, let cool down to 160F to 170F and then into the alto-Shaam set at 145F for 8 to 12 hours (was told up to 16 hrs at times). I'm sure there are a bunch of ways to do this, but this allows one to smoke tomorrow's briskets today. I don't cook professionally, but always keep an eye out for a deal on an Alto-Shaam and would love to have one.

Back