• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Hello from Tacoma, WA

Kracken

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I have always been a fan of fire, I come from a ceramics background and worked in sales and repairs, I know my way around refractories and the firing of japanese wood kilns for ceramics. We would split 5 cords of wood for a single 5day firing of round the clock 2300F temps, then seal her up and wait a week for temps to drop down to 100F or so. So in essence similar to bbq, just on a different scale. My family recently moved into our new home with a bit o space, so I can finally grill outside. I found a weber 18in kettle that had been used 4 times by the previous owner that came with all imaginable goodies for 60$, then I picked up a WSM 18in for 200$ that had never been fired up, it just sat unused in the previous owners garage. I am tired of the mediocre local takeout bbq, so I am happy now to learn how to make my own. So far I have seasoned my WSM with a load of bacon, and tried my hand at my first bone in pork butt, all in all so far so good. I look forward to learning from all of you.

I would share some pictures, but I dont have the ability yet.:doh:

Here we go, my first bone in pork butt.

Attachments

• 2020-07-28 18.20.38.jpg
    2020-07-28 18.20.38.jpg
    302.1 KB · Views: 33
  • 2020-07-28 18.21.43.jpg
    2020-07-28 18.21.43.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 2020-07-28 18.22.22.jpg
    2020-07-28 18.22.22.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 2020-07-28 18.23.12.jpg
    2020-07-28 18.23.12.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 31
Welcome to the forum from Victoria, Aust.
Nice friendly bunch here that are very sharing with information.
Enjoy your time here, I sure have

Welocme! You've come to the right place.

Great looking cook, and some refreshing Ranier Beer!

Slap those photos in a thread over in Q-Talk, and you'll get plenty of banter.

Thanks for joining up. I think you'll like it here.

I have always been a fan of fire, I come from a ceramics background and worked in sales and repairs, I know my way around refractories and the firing of japanese wood kilns for ceramics. We would split 5 cords of wood for a single 5day firing of round the clock 2300F temps, then seal her up and wait a week for temps to drop down to 100F or so. So in essence similar to bbq, just on a different scale. My family recently moved into our new home with a bit o space, so I can finally grill outside. I found a weber 18in kettle that had been used 4 times by the previous owner that came with all imaginable goodies for 60$, then I picked up a WSM 18in for 200$ that had never been fired up, it just sat unused in the previous owners garage. I am tired of the mediocre local takeout bbq, so I am happy now to learn how to make my own. So far I have seasoned my WSM with a load of bacon, and tried my hand at my first bone in pork butt, all in all so far so good. I look forward to learning from all of you.

I would share some pictures, but I dont have the ability yet.:doh:

Share some picture soon or later. Would love to see that

Back