My 30 Hour Chicken

Yes. Pop's Brine can be used to cure a variety of meats. It's been around quite some time. Pop's Father owned a custom meat store that sold bacon and hams using this recipe, only in much larger volumes... like 55 gallon barrels. I came across it online 10+ years ago while doing research for low salt or LiteBrine I was experimenting with. For dietary reasons, Pop's was experimenting with lower salt and sugar versions, so those are out there as well. Below are the suggested curing times for other meats. As a discussion point, there are stronger curing brines which do require weighing of water and meat as well as precise calculations and measuring of Cure #1. I prefer dry curing of bacon and corned beef, so that option is on the table as well.

Curing times vary with meat, but generally overnight to 2-3 days for chickens and turkeys, 8-10 days buckboard bacon, 10-14 days belly bacon, pork shoulder, whole butts, 3-4 weeks whole hams, 10-20 days corned beef (fresh beef roasts, briskets, rolled rib roasts, etc.) If whole muscle is more than 2" thick, then inject so it can cure i/o as well as o/i, and/or in and around bone structures, etc. These times can be extended as over-curing will not begin for 30 to 40 days, and the result would be mushy meat.

Please describe you dry curing method if you don't mind.

Thanks,

Robert

Please describe you dry curing method if you don't mind.

Thanks,

Robert

Robert, dry curing is truly a method or technique because the recipe portion is amazingly simple.... but it's a good starting point. I'll use bacon as an example. First, you decide how you like your bacon with respect to saltiness, sweetness, and additional flavoring like maple or black pepper. Each of these things has a range of percentages. For me, I like bacon lower in salt, not too sweet and I like black pepper on it. My recipe is:

Pork belly - skin removed
1.8% salt
1% sugar (and I prefer using white sugar)
0.25% Cure #1 (this is a constant and never changes)
Black Pepper evenly sprinkled on the pork belly
Crushed bay leaf lightly sprinkled
Roasted garlic powder lightly sprinkled

All percentages are based on the trimmed weight of the pork belly. If you are doing more than one belly at the same time, it's best to weigh each one, and calculate the ingredients for each one. I weigh the belly in kilograms, and measure all ingredients in grams. For example, to obtain 1.8% salt I need 18 grams of salt per kilogram of belly. If the trimmed belly weighs 2.65 kilograms the calculation is: 18 X 2.65 = 47.7 grams of salt. You might like a saltier bacon, so pick a higher percentage like 2%. You should bump the sugar a hair as it offsets some of the salt, so 1.5% sugar might be good. If you like really sweet bacon, you can go higher on the sugar, but you really have to watch out when frying as high sugar content can cause it to burn.

All the ingredients are mixed together very well, and distributed on the belly. The belly goes into a zipper bag. I add a tablespoon of bottled water to sort of start the curing process. Every day the bag is turned over and as liquid forms, I'll massage it. After 11 or 12 days the curing is complete. The belly is rinsed to remove residual salt, and I do a soak-out for 3 hours. The belly will have some pepper left, but I give it a new sprinkle, set it on a rack on a pan and refrigerate 12 to 20 hours. This builds the pellicle which allows the smoke to adhere better.

At this point you have several options for smoking. Hot smoke, cold smoke, or a combination of the two. I like to cold smoke, as close to 70° as possible for 4 hours, then wrap the belly in plastic and back in the fridge until the next day. On day two, I cold smoke again for 4 or 5 hours, wrapping and refrigerating until the following day. I partially freeze and slice, then stack and vacuum seal it.

Here is my cold smoking set-up
GaPuNcW.jpg

Here are some samples I took after the second cold smoke, I could have done round 3 if I wanted to.
TsMC2uy.jpg

Here is what it looks like after cooking
dErawRa.jpg

I like to bag up some of the ends to use when cooking beans.
KXv0E4V.jpg

I have always dry cured bacon, but your reply on the page before has me thinking I'll try a wet cure just 'cause why not?

I'm noticing in your smoking process above you're not shooting for a particular IT, which kinda jives with what I've been discovering. I used to take it to 155, but it seemed that the bacon didn't cook up as well as it could have, 'cause it was basically cooked already after I smoked it. It's seeming more and more to me like it's all just about getting smoke. Rytek Kutas (I'm guessing you know who that is) goes for 127 then color as desired. I can't usually smoke at 70 degrees though, 'cause we rarely get below that here except for at night.

Anyway - I have found that lower finish temp makes for bacon that cooks up a lot better, and there's no need to get to 155 in the smoking process 'cause the meat is cured - in fact, it's cured for that very reason.
Great stuff as always. I got a 10# slab of belly that'll be getting cured one way or the other starting today. :whoo:
Great stuff all around! :clap2:

I have always dry cured bacon, but your reply on the page before has me thinking I'll try a wet cure just 'cause why not?

I'm noticing in your smoking process above you're not shooting for a particular IT, which kinda jives with what I've been discovering. I used to take it to 155, but it seemed that the bacon didn't cook up as well as it could have, 'cause it was basically cooked already after I smoked it. It's seeming more and more to me like it's all just about getting smoke. Rytek Kutas (I'm guessing you know who that is) goes for 127 then color as desired. I can't usually smoke at 70 degrees though, 'cause we rarely get below that here except for at night.

Anyway - I have found that lower finish temp makes for bacon that cooks up a lot better, and there's no need to get to 155 in the smoking process 'cause the meat is cured - in fact, it's cured for that very reason.
Great stuff as always. I got a 10# slab of belly that'll be getting cured one way or the other starting today. :whoo:
Great stuff all around! :clap2:

Technically at 145° you bacon is considered fully cooked. So like a ready-to-eat ham you can fry it, just warm it up, or actually eat it as is. Some people take it to 150° as they only want to cook it enough to crisp up the edges or render some of the fat. Kutas is right, many use high 120° for their finish temp. Storenought bacon may or may not be in that range depending on brand. My double-cold smoked bacon could get a hot finish, but I like it as is. And you are right, the cure is what protects you.

I believe this is some bacon cooked to 145° - 150°ish. It was only lightly fried. You can see it looks different from the photo above.

I1w1vec.jpg

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Back