MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-20-2018, 04:20 AM   #1
jane nair
Banned

Name/Nickname : jane
Default Gas Grill suggestions

I Need a new gas grill........ The one I presently have is junk. I'm on a budget so I'm really looking for something under $300. I've looked over the offerings at Lowes & I like some of them but really only have experience with the truly low end ones. I like the looks of the cast grates, do they last longer than the porcelin coated ones? what burners are best Help

Last edited by Ron_L; 09-20-2018 at 10:34 AM..
jane nair is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2018, 12:06 PM   #2
Smokin Hoggz
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Bill

Honestly, don't waste your money on the cheap gas grills, you'll just have to replace it in 2-3 years!! If you are going to buy a gas grill save your money and buy a Weber, and not from the big box store either, go to the smaller hardware stores and buy one from them, they will carry the one with the stainless steel burners and cooking grates. That's what I did 10 years ago and I haven't had to replace a thing on it. Again, don't waste your money on the cheapo grills!!!!

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-20-2018, 12:28 PM   #3
Pedro7
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

Agreed, don't buy a cheapo. Look on Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace. I've seen some good Weber Genesis/Spirits in the $200 range or less that will still last longer.

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-20-2018, 12:39 PM   #4
rwalters
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Robb

I have to also agree! Go Weber and be done with it. Unless you live in Mayberry, you should have no problem finding an older Weber Genesis on CL. They last forever, and parts are readily available if/when needed.
Come follow my adventures on Instagram: @rwaltersbbq
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2018, 12:57 PM   #5
Untraceable
Babbling Farker

Also recommend finding a genesis. Had one for at least 5 years and use it hard. Keeps that mess outside. Only thing Ive ever done to it is upgraded to GrillGrates.

Nothing is worse that going somewhere and finding an Aussie or some other POS gas grill. Wont even get hot enough to sear. More like a mild steaming effect.
Untraceable is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-20-2018, 11:41 PM   #6
didisea
Take a breath!

Find a decent Weber Genesis on craigslist, and then pitch the existing grates and get wall to wall Grill Grates. They won't rust and are easy to clean. They are well worth the investment.
didisea is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2018, 05:51 AM   #7
mike243
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

Never seen anybody post that grill grates were easy to clean but Weber all the way and get above the spirit line ,i have a 3 burner spirit and while its good it lacks stainless grates and burner shields

Old 09-21-2018, 08:44 AM   #8
Pedro7
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike243 View Post
Never seen anybody post that grill grates were easy to clean but Weber all the way and get above the spirit line ,i have a 3 burner spirit and while its good it lacks stainless grates and burner shields
What do you mean by burner shields? Flavorizer bars? or is their something else the Genesis has that the Spirit doesnt, because my Spirit definitely has flavorizer bars.

Old 09-21-2018, 09:09 AM   #9
NickTheGreat
is Blowin Smoke!

It seems in my area, if you keep your eyes open on Craigslist, free Weber's pop up from time to time. Usually the Spirits, but I've seen Genesises before. And probably more if you're willing to pay.

Get some new flavorizer bars, maybe even new grates and you're off to the races.

Old 11-18-2019, 02:30 AM   #10
GiantGrilla
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : GiantGrilla
Exclamation Gas Grill suggestions

I would recommend the Coyote C-Series 36-Inch 4-Burner Built-In Natural Gas Grill. It is AMAZING! Don't get me wrong, Weber's are very good but if you want the best I would go with the Coyote. They also make a part gas/part charcoal grill which enables you to get the best of both worlds. These grills are all stainless steel and cook so evenly. I PROMISE you will not regret it. The only downside is the cost - they are not cheap. Best of luck!
GiantGrilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2019, 09:37 AM   #11
tduffy
is One Chatty Farker

Anything $300 and under is going to be junk and not last much more than a couple years. At least jump up to a weber spirit for a couple hundred more.

Old 11-18-2019, 09:53 AM   #12
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Mod Note:

Moved to QTalk since this is not competition specific.

It's hard to go wrong with Weber. If the budget is $300, then the suggestion of a gently used Weber is a good one. I see them regularly on CL and FB Marketplace.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2019, 10:07 AM   #13
Gimmethecash
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Steven

Going to echo the Weber comments - I’ve got a 12-year-old stainless first-gen Genesis that still looks & works great.
Camp Chef FTG600
Cookshack Amerique
2 x Sous Vide Supreme
Minipack MV31X
Gimmethecash is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2019, 01:06 PM   #14
LloydQ
is Blowin Smoke!

You can get a quality grill near that price range. Check out Broil King or Huntington. Fast aluminum fire boxes and lids, good warranty. Easily the equal of the Weber Spirit.
LloydQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2019, 01:10 PM   #15
SonnyE
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Sonny

After having both Cast Iron, SS, and Porcelain coated grates, I'm sold on plain old Cast Iron.
You can burn it off if needed without any harm. And good old plain cast iron won't flake off in your food.
I've burned out Stainless Steel, and Porcelain coated grates.

Other than that, get what fits your budget. Take care of it, and it can last a long time.
I'm running a CharBroil gas grill, and on Natural Gas (Jets came with it). I don't see it dieing anytime soon. It's been in the Family for over a decade now.
If I last longer than the current grill, I want to get a Charcoal/Gas side-by-side.

Enjoy your next Bar-B-Que!

Last edited by SonnyE; 11-18-2019 at 01:22 PM..
SonnyE is offline   Reply With Quote